PINE64

Full Version: Which SD card should I use?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've seen the user tkaiser link to an SD card performance thread a couple times (http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/954-sd-card-performance/).  From what I understand, random I/O performance is the key factor for SBC use, but that is not something rated on the cards, so you have to test them.

But this text really stuck out to me:

"Always remember that there are a few renowned storage brands that just buy bunches of unknown flash chips to combine them with unknown controllers. Both performance and reliability might vary a lot between different batches"

and

"Then there exist manufacturers that own NAND factories, produce their own controllers, have engineers that do not just think about optimal combinations but realize them and ship final products. Think about the difference to the aforementioned group when buying cards"

So, how do you find which manufacturers just buy whatever, and which own NAND factories?  The thread didn't name them specifically either way.

For those of us newer to the SBC world, and the mentions of junk and fake cards out there, could anyone make a recommendation of which SD cards we should be looking at, and which to avoid?  I was going to use my old Sandisk Ultra 16GB that I had used in my phone previously, but I'm concerned it's not going to cut it.  And if I buy a new one, some suggestion on brands to look at (or avoid) would be greatly appreciated.  Hopefully, some of the other newer users could benefit from this as well.  Thanks.
(04-21-2016, 11:35 AM)montero65 Wrote: [ -> ]I've seen the user tkaiser link to an SD card performance thread a couple times (http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/954-sd-card-performance/).  From what I understand, random I/O performance is the key factor for SBC use, but that is not something rated on the cards, so you have to test them.

But this text really stuck out to me:

"Always remember that there are a few renowned storage brands that just buy bunches of unknown flash chips to combine them with unknown controllers. Both performance and reliability might vary a lot between different batches"

and

"Then there exist manufacturers that own NAND factories, produce their own controllers, have engineers that do not just think about optimal combinations but realize them and ship final products. Think about the difference to the aforementioned group when buying cards"

So, how do you find which manufacturers just buy whatever, and which own NAND factories?  The thread didn't name them specifically either way.

For those of us newer to the SBC world, and the mentions of junk and fake cards out there, could anyone make a recommendation of which SD cards we should be looking at, and which to avoid?  I was going to use my old Sandisk Ultra 16GB that I had used in my phone previously, but I'm concerned it's not going to cut it.  And if I buy a new one, some suggestion on brands to look at (or avoid) would be greatly appreciated.  Hopefully, some of the other newer users could benefit from this as well.  Thanks.
tkaiser mentioned in another thread the Samsung EVO and Sandisk at least reliable, mine is a Sandisc 32gb and works fine, Samsung EVO seems better in i/o-speed, but i dont find the right thread at the moment. [emoji53]

Gesendet von meinem K00L mit Tapatalk