PINE64

Full Version: WiFi/BT module orientation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The WiFi/BT module that came with my Pine 64 (has the antenna wire w/ sticker) can be mounted with the antenna connector facing outside (I assume is correct) or inside (facing the A64 chip).  I saw one post to this forum where it was mounted backwards, so before I do that too which what is correct orientation?

Thanks,
Don
Look at the amount of pins on each side. All the boards that I have seen thus far have different amount of pins. Just plug in wifi/bt module accordingly Smile
Thanks janjwener.  I took a closer look and you are correct the sockets/pins are staggered and only line up if you orient the WiFi/BT module correctly.
(04-21-2016, 08:36 PM)janjwerner Wrote: [ -> ]Look at the amount of pins on each side. All the boards that I have seen thus far have different amount of pins. Just plug in wifi/bt module accordingly Smile

Can we disconnect the antenna? Or should it always dangle on the side (even with a case)?
The antenna wire should get outside of the case.

(06-10-2016, 03:40 PM)kasramz15 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-21-2016, 08:36 PM)janjwerner Wrote: [ -> ]Look at the amount of pins on each side. All the boards that I have seen thus far have different amount of pins. Just plug in wifi/bt module accordingly Smile

Can we disconnect the antenna? Or should it always dangle on the side (even with a case)?

No. Please don't disconnect / remove the antenna as the reception will become lame. Reception is not very strong anyway so removing it, it will totally ruin it.
(06-10-2016, 03:46 PM)g_t_j Wrote: [ -> ]The antenna wire should get outside of the case.

No. Please don't disconnect / remove the antenna as the reception will become lame. Reception is not very strong anyway so removing it, it will totally ruin it.
Ok thanks!

I meant to post this reply a bit sooner, but got otherwise distracted!  Big Grin

As was pointed out, the wifi/bt module has a different number of pins on each side - a 7x2 header on one side, and and a 8x2 header on the other side, so you just match that with the sockets. 

As far as the antenna goes - you don't want to remove that for two reasons - 1) you could burn out the module if it doesn't drop its output power quick enough when realising that the antenna isn't there to load it up. It may not be an immediate failure either... could be after a few minutes, hours or even days. Or you could be lucky and it will just keep working. 2) Range will be bugger all.

The antenna is actually the back bit at the end with the tape on it. The grey wire is coaxial wire to shield the connection between the antenna and the wifi module from stray RF and electrical noise. You don't want to bend it too sharply, and the goal is to get the black (antenna) bit as high and as far away from the pine64 as you can, to give it the best reception / range. Then again, it it is working at full strength shoved under the pine64 because it's 1.5M away from the router, that's ok too!