PINE64

Full Version: Scandinavian or alternate PineBook Keyboard?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was quick to join the forum when I read about the PineBook Pro news.
I'm really excited about it and am definetly planning to get one, but there is a catch.
I can't find any info online regarding the keyboard, if there are replacements with scandinavian layout and so on.
Is my google kung fu that bad or isnt there a discussion at all about it?
I would love to have a pro as a daily driver but then I have a creteria regarding the keyboard and I'm afriad it's what is going to stop me from getting one.

I know that a remapping is possible and I've done that before, it just becomes a hassle with other things in my opinion and a native layout is always better.

Am I the only one who would want a scandinavian keyboard?
I would be more than willing to pay for it.
(02-02-2019, 06:44 AM)GreenThing Wrote: [ -> ]I was quick to join the forum when I read about the PineBook Pro news.
I'm really excited about it and am definetly planning to get one, but there is a catch.
I can't find any info online regarding the keyboard, if there are replacements with scandinavian layout and so on.
I would love to have a pro as a daily driver but then I have a creteria regarding the keyboard and I'm afriad it's what is going to stop me from getting one.

I know that a remapping is possible and I've done that before, it just becomes a hassle with other things in my opinion and a native layout is always better.

only US type keyboard
I think that it's possible to get a sticker set for keys or do a laser engraving atop of US layout. This is usual ways of dealing with US-only keyboards in Russia.
(02-02-2019, 06:44 AM)GreenThing Wrote: [ -> ]I was quick to join the forum when I read about the PineBook Pro news.

I guess native keyboard layouts would take the production complexity to a whole new dimension. It would probably have a significant impact on the price point as well. 
I'm used to the German layout but I've used US layouts in the past. I'll still get a Pinebook Pro and try the US international keymap route.
(02-07-2019, 01:13 AM)UltraBloxX Wrote: [ -> ]I think that it's possible to get a sticker set for keys or do a laser engraving atop of US layout. This is usual ways of dealing with US-only keyboards in Russia.

Yeah, a set of stickers and remapping would be the best option if no alternative is present.

(02-07-2019, 04:52 AM)bigCamel Wrote: [ -> ]

I guess native keyboard layouts would take the production complexity to a whole new dimension. It would probably have a significant impact on the price point as well. 
I'm used to the German layout but I've used US layouts in the past. I'll still get a Pinebook Pro and try the US international keymap route.

I am hoping that if people would voice a need, then maybe they could have a limited run of scandinavian keyboards for an extra price.

But yes, that is my plan, we have a nice sticker printer at work that will come in handy.
(02-21-2019, 12:34 AM)GreenThing Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-07-2019, 01:13 AM)UltraBloxX Wrote: [ -> ]I think that it's possible to get a sticker set for keys or do a laser engraving atop of US layout. This is usual ways of dealing with US-only keyboards in Russia.

Yeah, a set of stickers and remapping would be the best option if no alternative is present.

(02-07-2019, 04:52 AM)bigCamel Wrote: [ -> ]

I am hoping that if people would voice a need, then maybe they could have a limited run of scandinavian keyboards for an extra price.

But yes, that is my plan, we have a nice sticker printer at work that will come in handy.

The Pinebook key cap can take out and replace. I can ask key cap vendor supply "blank" key cap and these allows users print your own key caps symbol.
Scandinavian/ISO layout would be awesome but i dont think that we'll get it :-(
(03-26-2019, 09:13 AM)freppa Wrote: [ -> ]Scandinavian/ISO layout would be awesome but i dont think that we'll get it :-(

We're exploring the ISO layout - no promises tho.
(03-26-2019, 02:34 PM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-26-2019, 09:13 AM)freppa Wrote: [ -> ]Scandinavian/ISO layout would be awesome but i dont think that we'll get it :-(

We're exploring the ISO layout - no promises tho.

Cool, fingers crossed :-)