PINE64

Full Version: Pinebook Pro?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
Quote:(...) come on, $300 for a FHD IPS hexacore 14" notebook, who would be that picky ?

Basic research says 'most people' (60-70%). But there is no need to get into this discussion here.

1 - a future module wouldn be guaranteed to work with a mainboard which would host a RK3399 module for the Pinebook Pro. Also ... a RK3399 module doesn't exist, and may never exist. Lastly, price-wise, I doubt that there will be/would be a big price difference between a RK3399 module and the Pinebook Rro mainboard.
2 - I feel like we're talking past each other here :Smile I'll let it be
3 - Not sure about adding a LED strip under the keyboard ... but a keyboard with LEDs does cost substantially more than one without. If you think you can get a solid result with a LED strip or a few scattered LEDs, then I am really interested in either seeing an example of this or having you do it. Take a look at the current Pinebook (actually pre-pro of current Pinebook to be precise, but doesn't matter in this case) teardown ... how would you run LEDs into / under the keyboard? I don't think this is viable - I also have not seen people do this on other laptops without LEDs, leading me to believe its probably not easy to do nor possible to achieve a reasonably satisfying effect.
5 - The mainboard in the Pinebook Pro is rather small - same size as current mainboard in the existing Pinebook (see pictures above). No way to punch ITX holes in it -- if you want a RK3399 board that can be fitted in a case, why not just get a RockPro64? These things aren't that expensive ...
6 - its not possible mechanically / electrically
7- There will be replacement parts - if you break something you won't have to re-buy the entire unit ... is this what you're asking about ?

Quote:What about the idea to fit the PineTab in place of the keyboard to get a dual screen (dual cpu ?) notebook ?

Heh, nope. Keep in mind what TL always says: "Its not reasonable to include features that only 5% of users want and make the remaining 95% pay for these features as well"
(02-13-2019, 10:31 AM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]7- There will be replacement parts - if you break something you won't have to re-buy the entire unit ... is this what you're asking about ?
Just want to make damn sure you know how much I appreciate this. I've sent enough devices off for repairs and receive them back shoddily that I would much prefer to do these myself, and this is what you guys aim for. I love pushing against the disposable tech trend, and your Pinebook upgrade kit seals the deal for me. Pine64 is definitely becoming a favourite tech company for me.

Just need a UK reseller to avoid large import costs now lol.
i have a question, it will have developers tools avaliable at launch? i do not need a lot, with vscode or atom i have enough
Pine64 are hardware guys, software support is up to other developers.

Here's a copy of VS Code that works on aarch64.
https://code.headmelted.com/#linux-install-scripts
The detachable backlit keyboard for Google's Pixel Slate costs $200 and all reviews I've read say it's a must-buy accessory. Personally I don't mind a so-so keyboard on a touchscreen tablet but a bad keyboard on a laptop really annoys me. Seems like you have to buy a gaming laptop with some high-end video card and three turbo fans to get a decent keyboard these days. Sad
Luke, I seriously want to send my thanks to the Rock64 team. This laptop is everything I've been looking for in a mess around computer!
(02-07-2019, 06:38 PM)Jeff115 Wrote: [ -> ]It would be nice to have a dual boot os, especially with the 128g version, and Microsoft is working on bringing Windows on ARM, maybe we could dual boot Windows with Linux?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/arm/

Can we install Android OS ?   Tongue
matiwal, Thanks - but I cannot take any credit for the device

Zirali1981, you can ... but ... thats not really the intent of the device.
I've been wondering, how good will battery life be? Currently, I have Pinebook 11" and I really like the ultra-portable form-factor, plus it has a very good battery life time. But, say, if I upgrade it to Pro board, how much power consumption will rise? I assume that CPU could be throttled down, when longer battery life is desired and it shouldn't consume much more, than A64 on full speed?
(02-14-2019, 05:01 PM)InsideJob Wrote: [ -> ]Seems like you have to buy a gaming laptop with some high-end video card and three turbo fans to get a decent keyboard these days. Sad

Using a Dell Vostro 3555 (AMD A8-3500M) which I changed the keyboard for a backlit. This is essential, especially in low light. And it's fu^habulously cheap (less than $20) : https://www.ebay.com/p/Original-Dell-Vos...2255387990

Just find a compatible backlit keyboard that would fit the 14" form factor of the Pinebook Pro and use it instead. It's not such a big deal if you can find it in large quantity through a supplier. What annoys me is the lack of numeric pad tough.

Kochise
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44