PINE64

Full Version: Pinebook Pro?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
I want one with Linux Mint. Ubuntu supports ARMv8, it should not be that hard to pull from mint repos.
(02-05-2019, 04:38 PM)locoturko Wrote: [ -> ]I want one with Linux Mint. Ubuntu supports ARMv8, it should not be that hard to pull from mint repos.

I just checked and there is no arm64 packages for mint binaries...

http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Tessa
(02-05-2019, 05:08 PM)evilbunny Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2019, 04:38 PM)locoturko Wrote: [ -> ]I want one with Linux Mint. Ubuntu supports ARMv8, it should not be that hard to pull from mint repos.

I just checked and there is no arm64 packages for mint binaries...

http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Tessa

As a Mint user myself, I am going to guess that Mint has source packages as well, right?
If so, it should be possible to just build each required package from source?

I would love it if the Mint team had build's for Pinebook/Pinebook Pro, Ubuntu MATE would be nice, having Arch would also be a real treat.
(02-05-2019, 07:27 PM)mzs.112000 Wrote: [ -> ]As a Mint user myself, I am going to guess that Mint has source packages as well, right?

Just pointing out that it's not as simple as just pointing apt at a new repository.

In the case of arm boards it's even messier because there is no bios to hook into for driving hardware, which why there is so many armbian images.
(02-05-2019, 07:42 PM)evilbunny Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2019, 07:27 PM)mzs.112000 Wrote: [ -> ]As a Mint user myself, I am going to guess that Mint has source packages as well, right?

Just pointing out that it's not as simple as just pointing apt at a new repository.

In the case of arm boards it's even messier because there is no bios to hook into for driving hardware, which why there is so many armbian images.

I wonder why no one has came up with a standardized EFI system for ARM boards?
There needs to be an EFI firmware with ports for the major ARM systems, ideally it should also have a user-acessible UI just like a regular computer/laptop. Then, that would eliminate the issue of having so many images for different boards or different board variants, since the EFI would provide a standardized HAL for OS to hook into.... Installing new OS on an ARM-based laptop, SBC or PC would be as simple as installing one on an Intel computer.
Stabbing in the dark, but I think it's because ARM is mostly used in embedded systems, and has only recently began being adopted into other purposes. It weren't too long ago that PowerPC was a growing contender in the server market (and briefly Apple devices), then disappeared.

Will the PineTab adopt the same SD-Card preferential boot? Personally prefer this approach, makes distrohopping really easy.
(02-06-2019, 03:24 PM)soupbowl Wrote: [ -> ]Stabbing in the dark, but I think it's because ARM is mostly used in embedded systems, and has only recently began being adopted into other purposes. It weren't too long ago that PowerPC was a growing contender in the server market (and briefly Apple devices), then disappeared.

Will the PineTab adopt the same SD-Card preferential boot? Personally prefer this approach, makes distrohopping really easy.

Maybe they can use LibreBoot and Coreboot?
https://www.coreboot.org/
https://libreboot.org/

Either one would make things way easier for Linux and BSD distros to support ARM devices and PCs.
I'm here because of the PCMag article, and others. I have been waiting for something like the pinebook pro for a long, long time. Kudos to you folks for achieving what has apparently been impossible for other companies! I eagerly await the moment I can get my hands on one and get to the precious bits inside!
Also eagerly awaiting the Pro. Heard about it from the same articles that are floating around. Very interested in a great combination of price and performance lab machine built for linux from the ground up. Following thread for updates.

You wouldn't be able to accelerate cinnamon (at least currently) so it would have to be mate edition.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44