PINE64

Full Version: Pinebook Pro?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
(07-14-2019, 05:10 PM)postal_dude Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all,

There was confirmation in this thread that m.2 is supported through adapter...
https://store.pine64.org/?product=rockpr...rface-card

Does this mean I'll need to actually open laptop chassis ? I don't think this can fit into chassis ...

Best regards,
Nikola

I don't think it will be the one in the store currently,as the Pinebook Pro already has the M2 slot on the PCB, it may just be a extender, the only real donwside might be the power draw and heat from the SSD.
(07-15-2019, 06:00 AM)dreddit Wrote: [ -> ]

Does this mean I'll need to actually open laptop chassis ? I don't think this can fit into chassis ...

Best regards,
Nikola

I don't think it will be the one in the store currently,as the Pinebook Pro already has the M2 slot on the PCB, it may just be a extender, the only real donwside might be the power draw and heat from the SSD.

Yes, you will have to take off the bottom of the laptop held in with 10 screws. Do so only when the laptop is closed (lid and keyboard completely aligned) and powered down. The optional adapter will live under the left palm rest - there are dedicated stand-offs for the adapter - and it plugs right into the main PCB. Its a very small adapter with a long cable -- its not the same adapter as currently shown in the store.
And yes, indeed, heat and power-draw are valid concerns... and something to consider. I can imagine that the heat from some NVMe drives can cause discomfort to some.
(07-15-2019, 06:00 AM)dreddit Wrote: [ -> ][not] the one in the store currently,as the Pinebook Pro already has the M2 slot on the PCB

This is correct... the one for the pinebook pro is basically carrier that plugs into the mainboard from the looks of it...

https://app.box.com/s/tnmzs7ig73x4vnlpys8ik8zpprwhj45t
How would the Pinebook Pro handle other apps like Inscape, Scribus, Darktable, GIMP, Audacity, Ardour...multimedia stuff in general. Will it run the programs the way a regular computer would? A simple sudo apt-get install and away you go?
(07-15-2019, 11:01 PM)ikhider Wrote: [ -> ]How would the Pinebook Pro handle other apps like Inscape, Scribus, Darktable, GIMP, Audacity, Ardour...multimedia stuff in general. Will it run the programs the way a regular computer would? A simple sudo apt-get install and away you go?

If you are asking about speed, I think it will be something like some Celeron machine. About installing, you are right, just apt-get like on ordinary computer.
(07-15-2019, 11:01 PM)ikhider Wrote: [ -> ]How would the Pinebook Pro handle other apps like Inscape, Scribus, Darktable, GIMP, Audacity, Ardour...multimedia stuff in general. Will it run the programs the way a regular computer would? A simple sudo apt-get install and away you go?

Hi,

The closest I have atm is a Raspberry Pi running rasbian, which I believe will be a similar experience (although the Rock64 will be somewhat faster). All but darktable were indeed install-able using apt-get. Not sure why darktable wasn't there but I quickly tried them all and they all started and ran. Not an exhaustive test by any means but they all seemed usable,

J

9days and counting...

Yes, regular apt-get on the default Debian and ayufan's Ubuntu build.
(07-16-2019, 01:56 AM)RMJ250 Wrote: [ -> ]

Hi,

The closest I have atm is a Raspberry Pi running rasbian, which I believe will be a similar experience (although the Rock64 will be somewhat faster). All but darktable were indeed install-able using apt-get. Not sure why darktable wasn't there but I quickly tried them all and they all started and ran. Not an exhaustive test by any means but they all seemed usable,

J

9days and counting...

Hi, thanks for the response. It is not about speed so much as usability. Can I do my multimedia work on the machines and sometimes plug in an external monitor when needed (HDMI). I do heavy duty video/audio/multimedia editing on my desktop. But when I am out and about, a reliable laptop to sketch ideas while listening to music, email client and launching a browser to research is my usual workflow. I was not sure if the programs I work with (scribus, inkscape, gimp, audacity et al) had architecture issues. The programs I mentioned tend to be low resource. Based on what you are saying, I can install and run the programs I need.
(07-15-2019, 08:16 AM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-15-2019, 06:00 AM)dreddit Wrote: [ -> ]

Best regards,
Nikola

Yes, you will have to take off the bottom of the laptop held in with 10 screws. Do so only when the laptop is closed (lid and keyboard completely aligned) and powered down. The optional adapter will live under the left palm rest - there are dedicated stand-offs for the adapter - and it plugs right into the main PCB. Its a very small adapter with a long cable -- its not the same adapter as currently shown in the store.
And yes, indeed, heat and power-draw are valid concerns... and something to consider. I can imagine that the heat from some NVMe drives can cause discomfort to some.

Thanks for explanations ! Small sub question … will some passive heatsinks be present in pinebook pro ?
It is a shame that Darktable is not a part of the Pine64 repo. Are there plans to add Darktable in the future? With the monitor resolution, I figure the Pinebook pro might be a good tool for photography...?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44