PINE64

Full Version: Pinebook Pro?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
(05-12-2019, 07:45 AM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]Last time and last place where I am answering this; we estimate that the Pinebook Pro will be available for purchase from the website late Summer 2019.
Since this is such a common question, can I recommend putting it in big bold letters at the top of the thread somehow? Also on the item page in the store.

For me: it comes when it comes. I'm very patient about it, but it is attracting lots of new people who can't be bothered to read long thread for information...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
(05-07-2019, 02:52 PM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]: Its paypal for now. We'll consider other options.
: Any that have ARM packages. On day one you can expect Debian and Ubuntu builds. But I am pretty sure that many other including Manjaro and KDE Neon - projects we have a very good working relationships with - will follow swiftly after. There is a lot of interest surrounding the Pinebook Pro, and I've spoken to prominent devs from large projects, so I expect that many popular distributions will find their way to the PB Pro
, I haven't answered this before because the specs are not final -- the current prototype is approx 1.3kg, but please don't take this as a final answer.

[edit] about booting from NVMe ... you could use NVMe as a boot disk once SPI flash is figured out and you can flash uboot to it. I guess that you could also have uboot on eMMC/SD and point extlinux to rootfs on the NVMe drive. I'm not an expert nor a dev, but I believe this is accurate.

Q4OS will also be available on Pinebook Pro. Another surprise one may be Parrot OS, keep my finger cross.
So many people asking about ANSI keyboard -and ANSI option will eventually be available at check-out. I've updated the news blog with some details: https://www.pine64.org/2019/05/06/may-2019-news/

DoMiNeLa10

(05-13-2019, 10:07 AM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]So many people asking about ANSI keyboard -and ANSI option will eventually be available at check-out. I've updated the news blog with some details: https://www.pine64.org/2019/05/06/may-2019-news/

Sounds like good news to me, rather than ordering on day one and putting up with the awful keyboard, I'll wait for a superior layout to show up. Considering this was one of my major worries with the laptop, it makes it sound like a better deal to me.
(05-13-2019, 10:07 AM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.pine64.org/2019/05/06/may-2019-news/
Right, ok, we get it – many of you want an ANSI keyboard layout as an option. Understood. We will eventually offer a EU/US keyboard layout option at store check-out.

This may take some time as we need to find a suitable keyboard first, put it though its paces to make sure that its good quality, and also make sure that no extensive retooling needs to be done on the Pinebook Pro case.
It's a problem with the keyboard bezels in the case, no? I think to accommodate both ISO and ANSI keyboards, this needs to remove the separation between # and Enter, as well as left Shift and \ (on the ISO keyboard). But there are a number of laptops on the market which apparently have this feature already.
Will there be mainline Linux support or will the images be built on old kernels?
(05-15-2019, 11:32 PM)brent.thierens Wrote: [ -> ]Will there be mainline Linux support or will the images be built on old kernels?

There will be both OS images with RK kernel and mainline Linux. For instance, Manjaro only use mainline.

[Image: ohecLoS.png]
love the fact that has an ISO keyboard for non US citizens!!! great

luke , what about shipping? i dont want to pay 60 usd for a 200 product! are you going to ship using chinapost or something like that?
(05-16-2019, 07:11 PM)favio Wrote: [ -> ]love the fact that has an ISO keyboard for non US citizens!!! great

luke , what about shipping? i dont want to pay 60 usd for a 200 product! are you going to ship using chinapost or something like that?

If its a paypal only payment i wont be able to pay at all so consider yourself luckySmile

DoMiNeLa10

ANSI isn't only used in USA, it's the most popular layout here in Poland. The layout commonly used here is pretty much the same as US english with the right alt key replaced with alt gr for typing accented characters (and ~ used as a dead key in windows layouts), and then there's the improved X11 layout which takes proper advantage to type more symbols with alt gr. Some keyboards sold here are ISO, but that's not so poplular, and most laptops with ISO are imported from EU countries. This creates an interesting situation where you might be constantly switching between two laouts, and let me tell you, it's nasty. I can't stand the enter key in ISO, as it requires stretching my pinky way too far.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44