PINE64

Full Version: Pinebook Pro?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
(05-01-2019, 06:52 AM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-01-2019, 06:19 AM)Efe Wrote: [ -> ]How possible is it to throw in a really thin fan with a really basic heat spreader?

Not very. There is no need for a heat-spreader, since the bottom of the case makes contact the SOC and acts as a big heatsink/spreader already.

I've been torture testing the device and playing with thermals over the past few hours. While you can get the unit to spike 80*C under unrealistic load in under a minute, it doesn't down-clock massively (1.4-1.6ghz on big cores) when totally grilled.

I have played some games, watched 4K movies and done other demanding but real-life things and never hit the thermals. Playing Tekken 6 (PSP) was probably the most intense real-life benchmark, and that had the SOC hovering at 76*C, which is  just under the thermal threshold for maintaining full frequency.  

That said, I'll do a little bit of modding for fun in the coming days and see if there is something simple to be done to improve thermal performance further - not that I think its necessary.

Glad to hear that it stays fairly cool even under sustained load. I'd be interested in seeing if temps improve with a small uUSB cooling pad. I have a small dual fan pad that I use with my Y700 for gaming. I imagine that you might be able to drop temps by 5 to 10C with the fan cooling the bottom of the Pinebook Pro.
(05-01-2019, 06:19 AM)Efe Wrote: [ -> ]How possible is it to throw in a really thin fan with a really basic heat spreader?

Not very. There is no need for a heat-spreader, since the bottom of the case makes contact the SOC and acts as a big heatsink/spreader already.

I've been torture testing the device and playing with thermals over the past few hours. While you can get the unit to spike 80*C under unrealistic load in under a minute, it doesn't down-clock massively (1.4-1.6ghz on big cores) when totally grilled.

I have played some games, watched 4K movies and done other demanding but real-life things and never hit the thermals. Playing Tekken 6 (PSP) was probably the most intense real-life benchmark, and that had the SOC hovering at 76*C, which is just under the thermal threshold for maintaining full frequency.  

That said, I'll do a little bit of modding for fun in the coming days and see if there is something simple to be done to improve thermal performance further - not that I think its necessary.
Great results! In my opinion, if one can avoid moving parts like fans and HDDs that's a big plus.
(02-08-2019, 05:00 AM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-07-2019, 07:28 PM)Jerrbear Wrote: [ -> ]Would there be any problems with using the PB Pro for Kali Linux? I would primarily be buying it to use to teach myself pentesting but I'm worried it wouldnt have even horsepower.

Plenty of horsepower. As for Kali - if you want official support, I think we could probably approach Kali devs and see if they are interested.

+1 for the Kali support.
I can't wait to try the kde version of Kali on the Pinebook Pro!

I have played some games, watched 4K movies and done other demanding but real-life things and never hit the thermals. Playing Tekken 6 (PSP) was probably the most intense real-life benchmark, and that had the SOC hovering at 76*C, which is just under the thermal threshold for maintaining full frequency.  

What was the room temperatures if i may ask and thanks for your workSmile
(05-01-2019, 06:19 AM)Efe Wrote: [ -> ]...

Those are some nice results Smile
How is the SoC making contact with the bottom of the case? Does it need a thermal pad like those blue strips used for VRMs on desktop GPUs? Or the clearance between the SoC and the bottom cover could use just thermal paste as interface between the two?
Just watched the video - thanks for the update!

Will an ANSI keyboard be an option or will the Pinebook Pro be ISO keyboard only? I love everything else about the Pinebook Pro so far but every other computer I use has an ANSI keyboard Sad
Hi! Linux SBC enthusiast here, just wanted to say I recently discovered the Pinebook Pro while looking into the RK3399 SoC. Really excited and looking forward to buying one when it comes out Smile
The picture on the pinebook pro webpage makes it look sexy. I'll probably pick one up to use for university!

Looking forward to the release!
Sorry for the late response ... been rather busy with the website move.

, uhm the room temps are around 22*C
, yes there is a thermal pad that bridges the SOC and the case bottom -- its not a given that this is final design (hence my testing)
As I explained in the video, the ANSI keyboard had issues and was lower overall quality - so no.

More news re. the Pinebook Pro coming very soon.
(05-03-2019, 04:30 PM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry for the late response ... been rather busy with the website move.

, uhm the room temps are around 22*C
, yes there is a thermal pad that bridges the SOC and the case bottom -- its not a given that this is final design (hence my testing)
As I explained in the video, the ANSI keyboard had issues and was lower overall quality - so no.

More news re. the Pinebook Pro coming very soon.

Very soon? That's great news! Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44