PINE64

Full Version: Pinebook Pro?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
(04-03-2019, 08:16 AM)DavidH Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-02-2019, 03:52 AM)favio Wrote: [ -> ]i just saw that odroid ditched RK3399 against a cheaper chip with 4X A73 and 2X A53  for their last board , not only consumes less energy but have better performance.
A peek (not a review) at  the Amlogic S922X SoC (4x Cortex-A73, 2x Cortex A-53, Mali-G52) in an Android TV box at ETA PRIME's YouTube channel. It comes out a bit faster than the RK3399, with nearly the same single core performance, but not by much.

yes ! i saw too some benchmarks the other day.. single core they are almost the same , but difference is more noticeable in multicore and in power consumption 

which i guess is to expect 

by the other hand, it doesnt have an pcie controller

(04-04-2019, 10:38 AM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]For those interested in the new devices - particularly the Pinebook Pro and PinePhone, I've posted a HW/SW update yesterday with some details regarding progress.

As a bonus, Bushan posted a picture of the dev unit running KDE Neon that I am attaching below:

thanks luke , is there any news of the pinetab? my X86 tablet got bricked this week and i cant find bios files anywhere , i would go for an massive opensource one with no doubts just to avoid that hassle..
(04-04-2019, 11:21 PM)favio Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-03-2019, 08:16 AM)DavidH Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-02-2019, 03:52 AM)favio Wrote: [ -> ]i just saw that odroid ditched RK3399 against a cheaper chip with 4X A73 and 2X A53  for their last board , not only consumes less energy but have better performance.
A peek (not a review) at  the Amlogic S922X SoC (4x Cortex-A73, 2x Cortex A-53, Mali-G52) in an Android TV box at ETA PRIME's YouTube channel. It comes out a bit faster than the RK3399, with nearly the same single core performance, but not by much.

yes ! i saw too some benchmarks the other day.. single core they are almost the same , but difference is more noticeable in multicore and in power consumption 

which i guess is to expect 

by the other hand, it doesnt have an pcie controller

(04-04-2019, 10:38 AM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]For those interested in the new devices - particularly the Pinebook Pro and PinePhone, I've posted a HW/SW update yesterday with some details regarding progress.

As a bonus, Bushan posted a picture of the dev unit running KDE Neon that I am attaching below:

thanks luke , is there any news of the pinetab? my X86 tablet got bricked this week and i cant find bios files anywhere , i would go for an massive opensource one with no doubts just to avoid that hassle..

About the Pinetab, there have been two test samples from factory and we weren't happy with the quality of the LCD on either of them. Lets hope 'third times is the charm'.
How does YouTube 1080p60 run on the Pinebook Pro/RockPro64? There has been a shift with most youtubers slowly moving to 60fps only. From the Vimeo demo it ran great with 1080p30!
(04-05-2019, 03:54 AM)PakoSt Wrote: [ -> ]How does YouTube 1080p60 run on the Pinebook Pro/RockPro64? There has been a shift with most youtubers slowly moving to 60fps only. From the Vimeo demo it ran great with 1080p30!

1080p is no issue either. Indeed, I think that we can get 1440p to run well too in Chromium. I wouldn't count on 4k content - but then again, we'll eventually have KODI + Youtube plugin working in the future for that particular purpose.
(04-05-2019, 05:12 AM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-05-2019, 03:54 AM)PakoSt Wrote: [ -> ]How does YouTube 1080p60 run on the Pinebook Pro/RockPro64? There has been a shift with most youtubers slowly moving to 60fps only. From the Vimeo demo it ran great with 1080p30!

1080p is no issue either. Indeed, I think that we can get 1440p to run well too in Chromium. I wouldn't count on 4k content - but then again, we'll eventually have KODI + Youtube plugin working in the future for that particular purpose.

That's awesome! Thanks for the reply!
This is just a point of my curiosity, but has there been any talking with the guys at pure.ism about a PureOS image for the phone and tab?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
(04-05-2019, 06:50 AM)Paraplegic Racehorse Wrote: [ -> ]This is just a point of my curiosity, but has there been any talking with the guys at pure.ism about a PureOS image for the phone and tab?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

They do their thing and we do ours. This doesn't mean we do not wish them well - to the contrary, we're keeping our fingers crossed their Librem 5 turns out great (this goes for the sw too)! That said, we've got a different mentality regarding software support, and instead of creating something on our own we rather work with existing projects.

Should Purism (or the community) be interested in porting their OS to the Pinephone however, then they are welcome to do so - its an open platform to everyone without exceptions.
Just watched the interviews in full instead of just jumping through them. Yoah, were they great!

I can't seem to find the thread where there was a mention of a hacked gps unit through unused USB header on a Pinebook. Are the pins between the keyboard and touchpad cables from the dev Pinebook Pro unit such usb port? Maybe a 3G/4G usb dongle stripped from the shell could fit under the right hand rest portion Smile With the aluminum build, it doesn't seem like GPS or NFC solutions would be ideal targets.

I'm really happy that you've reached to Wendell from Level1Tech! I'm sure he will figure out something interesting to show with a unit.

Getting really excited about the Pinebook Pro and the possibilities!
Regardless of the results, it would be thrilling to try Flutter and Godot on it! Maybe there will be a solid Flutter desktop embedding project by the time the device is out (those projects are moving fast!)
I still have 3 questions about the Pinebook Pro:
1 - I read that it is an 10Ah battery, but what is the voltage? Ah doesn't say much, unless the voltage is provided as well. I gues it is a single cell, so 37Wh? If this is the case, I guess it would be possible as well to connect more cells in parallel ourselves, if one is okay with the extra weight and wants longer battery life? Any chance you can provide us with pictures of the inside of the Pro? Big Grin
2 - Excited about the NVMe storage option! However, does this NVMe port support SATA as well? (I currently don't have an NVMe SSD, but I do have an M.2 SATA one)
3 - Would the WiFi/Bluetooth chip be interchangable with a WiFi/Bluetooth/4G chip? This is not that interesting to me, since I have a very light data plan, but I think a lot of us would be very interested if this would be possible by swapping out the chip. I thought in the Pinebook this was a seperate Realtek chip, so any chance this might be possible?

Excited about this project!
(04-06-2019, 07:12 AM)brent.thierens Wrote: [ -> ]I still have 3 questions about the Pinebook Pro:
1 - I read that it is an 10Ah battery, but what is the voltage? Ah doesn't say much, unless the voltage is provided as well. I gues it is a single cell, so 37Wh? If this is the case, I guess it would be possible as well to connect more cells in parallel ourselves, if one is okay with the extra weight and wants longer battery life? Any chance you can provide us with pictures of the inside of the Pro? Big Grin
2 - Excited about the NVMe storage option! However, does this NVMe port support SATA as well? (I currently don't have an NVMe SSD, but I do have an M.2 SATA one)
3 - Would the WiFi/Bluetooth chip be interchangable with a WiFi/Bluetooth/4G chip? This is not that interesting to me, since I have a very light data plan, but I think a lot of us would be very interested if this would be possible by swapping out the chip. I thought in the Pinebook this was a seperate Realtek chip, so any chance this might be possible?

Excited about this project!

You can check the FOSDEM 2019 post. At the bottom you can see the internals of the Pinebook Pro:
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=7093

1 - From the image, you can see that it's 4.5V in the prototype unit. Not sure if there was confirmation that this is finalized.
2 - Not sure about SATA SSD. From the given info, there will be an adapter for the PCIe NVMe M.2 drive which will be used for the connector on bottom right of the main board on the image. From what I remember PCIe NVMe M.2 uses only M key so physically it should be possible to plug a SATA one (which uses both M and B key). Someone with more knowledge can say if it would actually function.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44