PINE64

Full Version: Another bad experience with Rock64
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
I received my Rock64 at the beginning of january, since I was on holiday I started to use it a week ago.
Soon I found that one of the USB 2 port (the one near the pcb) is not powered, any device I connect doesn't work and if I connect an USB tester it shows 0 volts. This happens since the system power on before any operating system starts.
I opened a ticket and after some emails they suggest to send the board back to the US, this means I would have to pay another 10 EURO and wait I don't know how many weeks.
I am really not happy with the answer and probably I will not send it back.
First of all I think death-on-arrival situation should be handled without any cost for the customer, I think it is unacceptable to pay 1/3 of the cost of a new board just to send back a defective product. What about to test the boards before shipping them ?
Second problem is the software, Rock64 seems to be very immature, I have a 2Gb Rock64 without eMMC, I tried stock Android image and Android TV, both very slow and unstable, I barely was able to reach the launcher after several crashes and restarts. I am wondering how somebody could use Android with this board. 
I then tried OpenMediaVault (ayufan stretch armhf 0.7.11) , it works better but while configuring omv three times the system broke badly hanging during boot and I had to re-flash the SD. Now it seems to work but from time to time I still get errors while using omv administration and I am wondering for how much time it will continue to work.
BTW, I used ovm before with OrangePI without any issues. Same microSD (Sandisk Ultra).

I am not a newbie with this kind of systems, I already have 4 RaspberryPI and 1 OrangePI, none of them had such issues also the really cheap OrangePI is much more stable than Rock64
Unfortunately this seems to be the state of affairs nowadays and for the foreseeable future Sad