PINE64

Full Version: FOSDEM 19 Announcements Discussion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
(02-05-2019, 10:34 PM)tllim Wrote: [ -> ]Now teh FOSDEM is over and having some time to check out Pinebook Pro thermal profiling and also battery run times. I predict will have 5-6 hours on a single charge and will post my finding on next week.

The PinePhone single charge run time is my concern, able to use the pinephone for a full day is extremely challenging.

Great, looking forward to the battery run time figures of the Pinebook Pro.
The Pinebook Pro will be sold only with 1080p screen which is slightly unfortunate, so I am looking at upgrading the eDP panel with something of higher resolution. Doing so is e.g. popular with some ThinkPads, and not difficult as long as the screen matches the system board and chassis.

I visited the FOSDEM booth last weekend, and asked whether it would be possible to swap the screen, and what would be the limitations regarding the screen resolution. The answer was basically, I need to know what I am doing (ok), not all eDP screens are compatible (I figured as much), and the limitations would be the same as for DP (ie. 4K@60Hz).

However, I looked in the RK3399 datasheet (v1.8) afterwards, and while DP indeed supports 4K@60Hz, the eDP PHY is reported as limited to 2.7 Gbps/lane. That would not be sufficient for 4K/UHD, maybe barely for WQHD+. Can I get some clarification what is the maximum bandwidth/resolution for the internal panel?
I'm super interested in the Pinebook Pro. The Tab is also quite interesting. I wish there was a 1080 or 1900x1200 screen option for it though. I'd use that for comics on the go. Might be interesting for a little status screen I can use at work. I'm also interested in checking out the IP Camera. Having the ability to swap out lenses and an open source system is something I've wanted in one of these for a while. I hope it can do IR lighting in the dark. If it's good, I'll want several to put around my house with 170 degree lenses. Smile  I have a bunch of Foscams now but their FOV is too narrow and you have to swivel them around to look in different directions.
Pine H64 Model B
How does it perform compared to a rock64?
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/low_end_cpus.html
Where would it be on the list?
How is it on free software?
Free software is software you may use, share, modify and redistribute.
Are all functions on the computer supporting free software?
Is power supply 5v 3a?

Thank you.
(02-06-2019, 02:46 PM)chithanh Wrote: [ -> ]<...>
However, I looked in the RK3399 datasheet (v1.8) afterwards, and while DP indeed supports 4K@60Hz, the eDP PHY is reported as limited to 2.7 Gbps/lane. That would not be sufficient for 4K/UHD, maybe barely for WQHD+. Can I get some clarification what is the maximum bandwidth/resolution for the internal panel?

Point 1.2.13 of this document? https://github.com/rockchip-linux/docs/b...180529.pdf

The exact quote is "Up to 4 physical lanes of 2.7/1.62 Gbps/lane"

If all 4 lanes were hooked up that's 10.8gbit/s which is enough for 75Hz 2560x1440, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPor...ncy_limits

The other reasonable number of lanes to have hooked would be 2 and that could support 60Hz 1920x1080 so that's also an option.

I agree that clarification from Pine is needed as to the number of displayport lanes hooked up but I don't think 4K is a possibility for the internal panel. Ah well.
(02-07-2019, 02:29 PM)heocb Wrote: [ -> ]Pine H64 Model B
How does it perform compared to a rock64?
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/low_end_cpus.html
Where would it be on the list?
How is it on free software?
Free software is software you may use, share, modify and redistribute.
Are all functions on the computer supporting free software?
Is power supply 5v 3a?

Thank you.

The H6 is a fair bit more powerful [edit] can be clocked considerably higher than that RK3328, and the Mali in the H6 is much more capable. 
I think the community really decided against working on the BSP so all efforts are geared towards mainline. Last I heard mainlining is going well for the H6. Not sure what you mean by 'free software' exactly ? - do you mean blob-free in this context ? I think you should check with lima and panfrost projects.
Yes, 5v 3a
I'm considering the Pinebook Pro as a daily driver with Debian. I hope to use it for web browsing and some light programming on the go. Would this be a good purchase?
(02-07-2019, 09:01 PM)IngeniousTinkerer Wrote: [ -> ]I'm considering the Pinebook Pro as a daily driver with Debian. I hope to use it for web browsing and some light programming on the go. Would this be a good purchase?
Speaking from experience with a RK3399 chromebook, the PBPro would be a *great* match for those purposes, as long as the battery and device thermals are not neglected. So far we have a confirmation of 38Wh battery -- same as on the ASUS c101pa, which gets nice 6-8h out of that (proper work, not VPU "work") but the screen on that ASUS is 10", and here we have a 14" one, so lower times should be expected. Thermals are a wildcard for now.
(02-08-2019, 12:40 AM)blu Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-07-2019, 09:01 PM)IngeniousTinkerer Wrote: [ -> ]I'm considering the Pinebook Pro as a daily driver with Debian. I hope to use it for web browsing and some light programming on the go. Would this be a good purchase?
Speaking from experience with a RK3399 chromebook, the PBPro would be a *great* match for those purposes, as long as the battery and device thermals are not neglected. So far we have a confirmation of 38Wh battery -- same as on the ASUS c101pa, which gets nice 6-8h out of that (proper work, not VPU "work") but the screen on that ASUS is 10", and here we have a 14" one, so lower times should be expected. Thermals are a wildcard for now.

I’m hoping they include a heat pipe or two for good performance under load.
(02-08-2019, 07:48 AM)IngeniousTinkerer Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-08-2019, 12:40 AM)blu Wrote: [ -> ]

I’m hoping they include a heat pipe or two for good performance under load.

As TL already mentioned, there are still tests underway to determine the best way to keep the SOC within operational temp range.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22