PINE64

Full Version: FOSDEM 19 Announcements Discussion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
There was mention of an optional adapter to let you put a nvme m.2 ssd in the Pinebook Pro. Do pictures of that exist?
(04-10-2019, 09:18 AM)nyxxenator Wrote: [ -> ]There was mention of an optional adapter to let you put a nvme m.2 ssd in the Pinebook Pro. Do pictures of that exist?

Nope. But perhaps when I get my unit late this month, which will be more akin to the end-user version than current dev Pinebook Pro's, then I'll grab a picture of how it will fit together and post it for you guys.
That would be awesome, thanks! Smile
Hi Luke and all the rest

I'm interested in a Pinebook Pro because it has no Intel Management Engine and a low price. I want to use it for travel. My ideal travel notebook is cheap so that loss or theft will not rip a hole in my pocket.

I'm quite excited about the Pinebook Pro and hope I can order one very soon.

A few questions:

[*]I never had a computer or laptop running from flash. I know that flashes wear down on writes. Are the available OSes tuned towards running from flash or are they stock unmodified Linux distributions?

[*]X-Window needs a three button mouse. How will the track-pad work here?

[*]On the "feature list", I don't see a charger. I have an usb-c charger from my MacBook Pro and hope I can (re-)use it. Will the precise specs matter?

A few remarks:

[*]I can't imagine most of us prefer these 1/2 sized cursor keys over full sized cursor keys. Perhaps something to consider for the next iteration of the Pinebook.

[*]Great to see the CTL key is bottom left. Please keep it there.
There are a number of optimized OS's planned.  I do not know about the stock eMMC wearing "down on writes".  However, last I heard it will have a slot for SSD.

There are a number of different desktops.  It has USB so you can plug a mouse into it.  Although X doesn't necessarily need a three-button mouse, and there are accessibility toolkits for it.

From what I've read, it should have a barrel port and charger.  If you use USB-C it will need to provide enough current.
(04-15-2019, 06:53 PM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote: [ -> ][*]X-Window needs a three button mouse. How will the track-pad work here?
[*]

Just curious but what do you mean here. I use X all the time but I'm mainly a terminal guy..well terminal emulator with dmenu. Are you referring to the middle button pasting?

from the Forbes article

it will have Bluetooth, so a Bluetooth mouse is always an option Wink
I'm really looking forward to the PineBook Pro (and also why not the PineTab) ! Finally a professional open source Laptop.
I also really hope it can smoothly run BSD operating systems. If so, you can count on me for pre-order Smile
Hi all, I'll be getting a conceptual Pinebook Pro prototype (with a different keyboard), a mock-up of the Pinephone and more stuff end of this month. So, granted that customs don't decide to hang onto the stuff for an eternity, I figured we could try to do a livestream of all the things on the 28th at 22:00 GMT on Sunday the 28th. This would also give you an opportunity to ask questions live.
How about that? I guess that the time is good for people in the EU and US is good and its the weekend, but I am open to other suggestions.
(04-16-2019, 03:26 PM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all, I'll be getting a conceptual Pinebook Pro prototype (with a different keyboard), a mock-up of the Pinephone and more stuff end of this month. So, granted that customs don't decide to hang onto the stuff for an eternity, I figured we could try to do a livestream of all the things on the 28th at 22:00 GMT on Sunday the 28th. This would also give you an opportunity to ask questions live.
How about that? I guess that the time is good for people in the EU and US is good and its the weekend, but I am open to other suggestions.

Sounds good to me!

Curious though, what do you mean a different keyboard?

anyway...

Hopefully, I'll have a new job by then Smile . Looking forward to it!
(04-16-2019, 03:26 PM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all, I'll be getting a conceptual Pinebook Pro prototype (with a different keyboard), a mock-up of the Pinephone and more stuff end of this month. So, granted that customs don't decide to hang onto the stuff for an eternity, I figured we could try to do a livestream of all the things on the 28th at 22:00 GMT on Sunday the 28th. This would also give you an opportunity to ask questions live.

Any chance that the new keyboard will have a meta key? A lot of DEs use it for searching apps.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22