PINE64

Full Version: PPP support & kernel update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Code:
/usr/sbin/pppd
Couldn't open the /dev/ppp device: No such device or address
modprobe: FATAL: Module ppp_generic not found in directory /lib/modules/3.10.105-bsp-1.2-ayufan-140

/usr/sbin/pppd: Please load the ppp_generic kernel module.

Hi,

It seems PPP support has not been enabled in the default kernel (Linux pinebook1080p 3.10.105-bsp-1.2-ayufan-140 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Oct 30 14:21:35 UTC 2018 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux). This is a very important module for supporting, among other, VPN connections.

Along with the threads about using a modern kernel, are there some limitations about using a 4.9+ kernel on the Pinebook.
I'd like to recompile the modules I need, and I'd prefer to use a recent kernel to support new peripherals.

Is there a forum topic (or any other doc) about how to safely try new kernels on the Pinebook 11.6" w/o bricking the eMMC working installation?
I guess the easiest solutionĀ is to boot from a microSD, I'd like to have a couple of pointer on how to do this safely w/o re-inventing the square wheel Tongue

Thanks in advance,
Manu