PINE64

Full Version: SD card slot failing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been working on a Rock64 with Armbian Stretch Desktop 5.42 and at some point it stopped booting into the GUI. I didn't think anything I did should have stopped that, but it's a light build just needing to run some Python so rather than troubleshoot I just flashed a new image. Start getting that running and at some point it does the same thing. After a couple times and trying different SD cards, here's what I am doing:

Flash Armbian image
Do initial boot, create user, get to desktop, join wifi network
Reboot (either from gui or ssh)
After it comes back up, reboot again.
If it comes back up, reboot again.

The first time I reboot, I generally won't be able to connect to wifi again. The next time I reboot, maybe it won't boot, maybe it will and wifi will connect. Generally by the third reboot attempt, I have to just completely pull the power before it will come on again. I've also started seeing a message about my SD card speed being slow, which these are two different SD cards that have been working fine up until a couple days ago when this started.

It seems like there is an issue reading the SD card, and that this issue gets worse as if the card is getting messed up with more use. Is it time to see about getting a replacement board?
(09-17-2018, 09:47 AM)gaggleoxfoggy Wrote: [ -> ]I've been working on a Rock64 with Armbian Stretch Desktop 5.42 and at some point it stopped booting into the GUI. I didn't think anything I did should have stopped that, but it's a light build just needing to run some Python so rather than troubleshoot I just flashed a new image. Start getting that running and at some point it does the same thing. After a couple times and trying different SD cards, here's what I am doing:

Flash Armbian image
Do initial boot, create user, get to desktop, join wifi network
Reboot (either from gui or ssh)
After it comes back up, reboot again.
If it comes back up, reboot again.

The first time I reboot, I generally won't be able to connect to wifi again. The next time I reboot, maybe it won't boot, maybe it will and wifi will connect. Generally by the third reboot attempt, I have to just completely pull the power before it will come on again. I've also started seeing a message about my SD card speed being slow, which these are two different SD cards that have been working fine up until a couple days ago when this started.

It seems like there is an issue reading the SD card, and that this issue gets worse as if the card is getting messed up with more use. Is it time to see about getting a replacement board?

AFAIK an unstable/faulty psu CAN cause similar problems, start checking that...IMO...on the other hand when i bought my second rock64 i got a faulty one from my vendor, it had severe microsd problems (it was some problem with the slot, not my cards) so i guess yours can be faulty too, AFAIK its rare but can happen...
Thanks for the tip, it is a proper Rock64 PSU, but yeah I've definitely seen bad PSU cause issues on hardware. I'll check that