PINE64

Full Version: Rockpro64 CPU fan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(03-21-2019, 09:24 PM)onfire4g05 Wrote: [ -> ] I just want to keep the fan full blast. It's in a closet so it doesn't matter. Also, ats auto shuts your system down when it gets too hot and there's no way to turn that off (the governor should throttle if it gets too hot, I hope?). Oh, and ats doesn't solve the issue anyway, since it does the same thing.

Hello onfire4g05,
If your system gets to hot, should be because it has poor ventilation..
I hadn't figured out your config..if you have a Heatsink on CPU/Fan, or only heatsink..

The idea I got, is that you have a heat-sink only and a Nas case fan..
If you want it always hot, and no matter what, to continues Up and Running, you can use the romtomwator Solution..

Check this thread, more precisely point 2)
In this way, system will not shutdown, but you bear the possible consequences of it( The disks don't like higher temps, the plates are magnetic.. )
Neo2018 shared its tests with us..

KSD9700 / 250V 5A
Turns ON   - 40°C
Turns OFF -  29°C

Hope it helps Shy
Regards
If you want the fan to be full on, don’t bother connecting it to the board. Wire it to the power source
(03-22-2019, 02:54 AM)Mentaluproar Wrote: [ -> ]If you want the fan to be full on, don’t bother connecting it to the board. Wire it to the power source

That its the easiest Solution,  Smile
It will be ON always..
(03-22-2019, 04:28 AM)tuxd3v Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-22-2019, 02:54 AM)Mentaluproar Wrote: [ -> ]If you want the fan to be full on, don’t bother connecting it to the board. Wire it to the power source

That its the easiest Solution,  Smile
It will be ON always..

Hi. I connected my heat sink fan to the 4-way connector behind the power supply. Its 12 volts and the fan is on full blast. Not speed control but I am happy Shy
This is not ideal, but I just disabled the first thermal zone and then I set my fan to max (255). It'd be nice to just have the zones split between the fan and the other cooling devices (CPU frequency and the fan). For anyone who wants to try it and keep their fans running 100% all the time, good for the NAS box...

echo disabled > /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/mode
echo 255 > /sys/devices/platform/pwm-fan/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1

I'll do some testing later and see how the temps hold doing some Plex transcoding or something.

Finally, for anyone that wants to read on how the thermal zones work, here's some docs on it: https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation...fs-api.txt
The CPU thermal zones should only start throttling down,
When the active devices for cooling are not enough..

But your problem is different
You just put it in the closet, were it cannot get some "fresh air"  Smile

Any CPU without the capability to cool down, will go till emergency shutdown, in this case will happen around 85C.

I have a alwinner A20 board, with cpus at 1GHz, if I push it up, they start heating,
And each time even more, until a crash, or a fire, or anything else happen..
And I am talking about a CPU that uses very low power..

But I replied because of another thing..
The zone that reach higher temps are the Zone0( CPU )
Zone1( GPU ) is usually with less temperature( this obviously, if you are not using the Graphics for GPUComputing, etc.. ).
(03-25-2019, 07:54 PM)tuxd3v Wrote: [ -> ]The CPU thermal zones should only start throttling down,
When the active devices for cooling are not enough..

But your problem is different
You just put it in the closet, were it cannot get some "fresh air"  Smile

Any CPU without the capability to cool down, will go till emergency shutdown, in this case will happen around 85C.

I have a alwinner A20 board, with cpus at 1GHz, if I push it up, they start heating,
And each time even more, until a crash, or a fire, or anything else happen..
And I am talking about a CPU that uses very low power..

But I replied because of another thing..
The zone that reach higher temps are the Zone0( CPU )
Zone1( GPU ) is usually with less temperature( this obviously, if you are not using the Graphics for GPUComputing, etc.. ).

Yeah, you're correct. I just wish I could remove the fan from the cooling so it just throttles/reduces the CPU freq when necessary.
I have speed control adding to crontab:

* * * * * fancontrol.py

Code:
#!/usr/bin/python

import os

def write_fan(pwm):
   try:
       f = open('/sys/devices/platform/pwm-fan/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1', 'w')
       f.write("%d" % pwm)
   except:
       print 'failed to write fan'

def read_temp():
   try:
       f = open('/sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp')
       return float(f.readline())/1000.0
   except:
       print 'failed to read temperature'
       return 80

t = read_temp()

# cut on at 58C
speed = min(int(10*(t - 58) + 120), 255)
if speed < 120:
   speed = 0

write_fan(speed)

It only cuts on if I am compiling something or using a lot of cpu.  Normally using conservative governor with 408mhz.   I have the large heatsink (designed for not fan) but I have a fan anyway.

The fan does not run very fast even at full speed.   It is a 12v fan.  I didn't measure the voltage powering it, I suspect it only gets 5 volts even at max speed.
(03-26-2019, 09:57 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: [ -> ]The fan does not run very fast even at full speed.   It is a 12v fan.  I didn't measure the voltage powering it, I suspect it only gets 5 volts even at max speed.

I have a similar setup with a 12v case fan. But I can not confirm, that it perform always so poor. Basically there are three states at "full speed (echo 255)"

(1) I need to give that thing a manual kick start and than it spins slowly, cpu temperature is not affected
(2) it starts and runs slowly, the cpu temperature sinks about 5 °C
(3) it starts and runs really at full speed, so that I need to reduce it to echo 160, even than, the cpu temperature is seldom over 40 °C

I can't predict how this PWM-fan will behave.
(03-28-2019, 04:18 AM)hunderteins Wrote: [ -> ]I can't predict how this PWM-fan will behave.

https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-k...303087e34f fixes this behavior. Haven't seen a slow fan in 3 days. Thank you for that patch.
Pages: 1 2 3 4