PINE64

Full Version: [RFC] Default resolution of 720p for all OSes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
720p as default, first boot, resolution.

This is just a suggestion that should allow more HDMI monitors and TVs to give display on first boot.

I have noticed many reported problems are "no display", and some of those people are trying to use monitors and TVs that can not handle 1080p. Armbian did this with their OS to solve that simple problem that was taking up time in forums. Even many HDMI monitors may work if they were some other resolution like 1280x1024 or 1440 x 900 and the Pine is set at 720p. I'm not sure how far the OS devs are in getting the correct dts settings for 720p, but I feel that would be the best simple fix for many.

Request for comments.
(04-09-2016, 04:34 PM)DaveyDarko Wrote: [ -> ]720p as default, first boot, resolution.

This is just a suggestion that should allow more HDMI monitors and TVs to give display on first boot.

I have noticed many reported problems are "no display", and some of those people are trying to use monitors and TVs that can not handle 1080p. Armbian did this with their OS to solve that simple problem that was taking up time in forums. Even many HDMI monitors may work if they were some other resolution like 1280x1024 or 1440 x 900 and the Pine is set at 720p. I'm not sure how far the OS devs are in getting the correct dts settings for 720p, but I feel that would be the best simple fix for many.

Request for comments.
Not against your idea at all. That said, They really should have a adaptive and working solution for this ASAP. The Mali 400 architecture is not new. There is no shortage of Mali 400 family Android HDMI sticks. Releasing with only one supported mode... Seems like it was a corner cutting measure. Resolution should be a negotiation as it is with most modern devices.
Is the Mali driver missing from the software stack causing the lack of negotiation? The board seems to make no attempt to probe the attached display as there is no EDID , or general type, information shown by xrandr. I assume that is the reason why only the fixed resolution is shown in the display settings applet under MATE (and presumably other desktops as well)?
My TV is fine with the resolution but my monitor resolution makes everything look too big.
We didn't get the necessary binaries for the Mali (look at the BSP). We have everything else to make it work but the most important factor The Linux Binary for the Mali 400 was not included Sad.

Right now everything is running through the frame buffer and the only work around is using fbset through terminal.

Believe me when I say myself and others are trying to get things rolling. I think this is more of an Allwinner holding back scenario at this point and not that of the Pine Team.

Hopefully we will get more resources in the upcoming weeks.
(04-11-2016, 07:10 PM)lenny.raposo Wrote: [ -> ]We didn't get the necessary binaries for the Mali (look at the BSP). We have everything else to make it work but the most important factor The Linux Binary for the Mali 400 was not included Sad.

Right now everything is running through the frame buffer and the only work around is using fbset through terminal.

Believe me when I say myself and others are trying to get things rolling. I think this is more of an Allwinner holding back scenario at this point and not that of the Pine Team.

Hopefully we will get more resources in the upcoming weeks.

Is it possible to use fbset through (ssh) command line to get a display to show on a monitor at least using HDMI to DVI cable?  I know that was able to get display with HDMI to DVI working by stopping the auto-boot and adding 'disp.screen0_output_mode=EDID' to the boot command.  However I'm definitely not knowledgeable enough with serial console to do this.