PINE64

Full Version: *UPDATE* First Impressions of Release 20160303 and App Compatibility List
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
My setup:
Pine A64+ 2GB board, no wifi + Bluetooth module just ethernet.
64GB Sandisk Extreme Plus UHS 3 microSD card w/ Android Release 20160216
Samsung Galaxy S6 5V/2A wall charger (not the fast charger)
Standard HDMI Cable connected to 27" Acer 1080P monitor
Powered 4 port USB Hub
Basic Microsoft USB Optical Mouse
Basic Microsoft USB Keyboard

**Update - 4/22/2016** Release 20160303:

Burned perfectly the first try on above card. First start up with only HDMI connected then connected ethernet, mouse & keyboard once fully booted. System seems a lot more stable. Been playing around with it for a few hours installing, uninstalling opening and closing apps and so far no SystemUI or Launcher3 errors. The only problem I've had so far is the preinstalled Chrome app would not start I would get a message that said "Chrome has crashed during startup" but uninstalling and then reinstalling it seemed to solve that problem. No ethernet problems so far. Apps that start off in portrait no longer need a system reboot to correct the orientation once you exit the app it seems to autorotate back to landscape. So far this is a much better user experience compared to 20160216 except for the limitations of some of the apps not working. Also live wallpapers work now they didn't work very well in 20160216.

Release 20160216:

So it took a couple burns of this image to get a decent install. First couple of image burns resulted in performance issues with the overall OS experience. Finally on the third burn the performance is good now but the overall stability is still pretty bad. I am constantly getting "SystemUI has stopped working" and "Launcher3 has stopped working" messages. Also every once in a while I will lose my ethernet connection but it will come back after a restart. 

Apps

Amazon Underground (Manual Install) - Update 20160303 - Installed fine, works fine.

Candy Crush Games (Google Play) - All apps install and work perfectly fine.

Chrome (Preinstalled) - Update 20160303 - Will not start up it says "Chrome has crashed during startup" You have to uninstall it then reinstall and then it works perfectly.

Dolphin Browser (Google Play) – Installed fine, during the setup it auto rotates the screen to portrait mode but after setup is done it rotates back into landscape mode. Whenever you try to go to a website it hangs and asks you to close the app because it's not responding.

Emby (Amazon App Store) - Installs and works perfectly fine.

ES File Explorer (Preinstalled) - Works fine.

Facebook (Google Play) - Installs and works perfectly fine.

FXNOW (Google Play) - Installs and works perfectly fine.

HBO GO (Google Play) - Update 20160303 - App installs and runs fine but still once you select a show or movie to play it plays the splash screen just before the stream starts then just hangs and says "Cannot play content, Try again later".

HD Homerun View (Amazon App Store) - Installs fine, opens but it's hit or miss on the playback. Some of the channels play somewhat fine while other channels the video is just so laggy it's unwatchable. Plus HD channels just don't look like HD, they look highly compressed and pixelated. Not sure if it's the app or the Pine that's causing the pixelation issue.

Inbox (Google Play) - "This app isn't compatible with this device"
Inbox (Sideloaded Mobile apk) - Installs and works perfectly fine.

MAX GO (Google Play) - Installs and runs fine, although in portrait mode. Playing media thought it's the same as HBO GO app

MLB At Bat (Google Play) - "This app isn't compatible with this device"
MLB At Bat (Sideloaded Mobile apk) - Update 20160303 - Installed fine, navigation works fine, archived games play back flawlessly but when trying to watch live games it starts the feed (audio & video) but after a few seconds it the picture zooms in and then the video freezes but audio continues. 

Netflix (Google Play) - Installs and works perfectly fine.   

Opera Browser - Fast and Safe (Google Play) - Installs fine, works perfectly.

PBS Kids (Amazon App Store) - Installs fine, works perfectly.

Podcast Player FM (Google Play) - Installs and works perfectly fine.

Showtime Anytime (Google Play) - Installs fine, I can log in but when you go to play anything it says "Showtime Anytime does not support HDMI video output from this device"

SiriusXM (Google Play) - Installs and works perfectly fine.

Speedtest (Google Play) - Installs fine, works in portrait mode only.

Spotify (Google Play) - Installs fine, starts in portrait mode then once you sign in rotates back to landscape.

Starz (Google Play) - Update 20160303 - Installs fine, and runs fine. When you attempt to play something all I get is a black screen. I can see the time line moving just no video or audio.

The Score ( Google Play) - Installed and worked fine. First startup during setup it auto rotates the screen to portrait but after setup it rotates to landscape mode.

tinyCam Monitor PRO (Google Play) - Installs and works perfectly fine.

TWC TV (Google Play) - Installs fine. First startup auto rotated the screen to portrait mode. Unfortunately when trying to tune to a channel you get the "TWC TV does not support HDMI video output from this device" message.

You Tube (Google Play) - Installs and works perfectly fine.

Please let me know any other apps you guys have tried and I will try to update this list. Please note what app store you installed from and if you did sideload any apps.
(04-07-2016, 02:32 PM)gtpboy Wrote: [ -> ]My setup:
Pine A64+ 2GB board, no wifi + Bluetooth module just ethernet.
64GB Sandisk Extreme Plus UHS 3 microSD card w/ Android Release 20160216
Samsung Galaxy S6 5V/2A wall charger (not the fast charger)
Standard HDMI Cable connected to 27" Acer 1080P monitor
Powered 4 port USB Hub
Basic Microsoft USB Optical Mouse
Basic Microsoft USB Keyboard

So it took a couple burns of this image to get a decent install. First couple of image burns resulted in performance issues with the overall OS experience. Finally on the third burn the performance is good now but the overall stability is still pretty bad. I am constantly getting "SystemUI has stopped working" and "Launcher3 has stopped working" messages. Also every once in a while I will lose my ethernet connection but it will come back after a restart. So aside from those I'm going to lists some of the apps that either worked, didn't work or weren't compatible with this device:

HBO GO (Google Play) - App is very buggy, lots of force closes and sometimes doesn't recognize ethernet connection. If the app doesn't force close and you actually pick something to watch it plays the splash screen just before the stream starts then just hangs and says "We are unable to play this video at this time" or it force closes 80% of the time.

MAX GO (Google Play) - Same as HBO GO app

Showtime Anytime (Google Play) - Installs fine, I can log in but when you go to play anything it says "Showtime Anytime does not support HDMI video output from this device"

Starz (Google Play) - installs fine, app plays the loading splash screen then hangs and force closes almost every time. I've got it to load a couple times and I can log in, but when I attempt to play something all I get is a black screen. I can see the time line moving just no video or audio. But it crashes 9/10 times.

TWC TV (Google Play) - Installs fine. First startup auto rotated the screen to portrait mode. Unfortunately when trying to tune to a channel you get the "TWC TV does not support HDMI video output from this device" message.

FXNOW (Google Play) - Installs and works perfectly fine.

Netflix (Google Play) - Installs and works perfectly fine.   

Emby (Amazon App Store) - Installs and works perfectly fine.

HD Homerun View (Amazon App Store) - Installs fine, opens but it's hit or miss on the playback. Some of the channels play somewhat fine while other channels the video is just so laggy it's unwatchable. Plus HD channels just don't look like HD, they look highly compressed and pixelated. Not sure if it's the app or the Pine that's causing the pixelation issue.

MLB At Bat (Google Play) - "This app isn't compatible with this device"
MLB At Bat (Sideloaded Mobile apk) - Installed fine, navigation works fine, archived games play back flawlessly but trying to watch live games just force closes the app every time. 

Chrome (Preinstalled) - Very buggy crashes constantly.

ES File Explorer (Preinstalled) - Works fine most of the time, sometimes it force closes but 8/10 times it's fine. 

Dolphin Browser (Google Play) – Installed fine, Everything worked fine. First startup auto rotated the screen to portrait mode but after a reboot the next startup stayed in landscape mode.

Amazon Underground (Manual Install) - Installed OK had a few hiccups the first 3 times but has been solid every time after.

tinyCam Monitor PRO (Google Play) - Installs and works perfectly fine.

Facebook (Google Play) - Installs and works perfectly fine.

All Candy Crush Games (Google Play) - All apps install and work perfectly fine.

The Score ( Google Play) - Installed and worked fine. First startup auto rotated the screen to portrait mode but after a reboot the next startup stayed in landscape mode.

SiriusXM (google Play) - Installs and works perfectly fine.

Podcast Player FM (Google Play) - Installs and works perfectly fine.

Inbox (Google Play) - "This app isn't compatible with this device"
Inbox (Sideloaded Mobile apk) - Installs and works perfectly fine.

Please let me know any other apps you guys have tried and I will try to update this list. Please note what app store you installed from and if you did sideload any apps.
Thank you very much for the feedback you provided about the specific apps! 
Personally speaking, you hit a soft spot of mine reporting that TinyCam Monitor runs smoothly as I'm going to use one of my boards as a NVR.

Could you also please check if ''IP Webcam'' is working as well? I know that there is no UVC driver yet so connection to USB cameras in not possible, but I'm curious if the board can execute the specific app. If it does, then I'll just have to wait for UVC capability and I'm done.

Thanks again for the very helpful feedback!
(04-07-2016, 03:43 PM)g_t_j Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you very much for the feedback you provided about the specific apps! 
Personally speaking, you hit a soft spot of mine reporting that TinyCam Monitor runs smoothly as I'm going to use one of my boards as a NVR.

Could you also please check if ''IP Webcam'' is working as well? I know that there is no UVC driver yet so connection to USB cameras in not possible, but I'm curious if the board can execute the specific app. If it does, then I'll just have to wait for UVC capability and I'm done.

I did install it but have no idea how to use it. I did click on some of the menus and some force closed the app other menus functioned normally I guess. Hope this helps.
(04-08-2016, 11:26 AM)gtpboy Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-07-2016, 03:43 PM)g_t_j Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you very much for the feedback you provided about the specific apps! 

I did install it but have no idea how to use it. I did click on some of the menus and some force closed the app other menus functioned normally I guess. Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for all your help.

I suspect/hope that you got the occasional errors which subsequently forced the app to close due to the absence of the UVC driver. The app can't detect any camera (no USB camera nor the Pine camera module) so it sounds reasonable that the service is forced to close , while navigating in some specific menus.

That was a very helpful post. Please keep it updated with any app you try on your board.
Cheers!
How did you get a proper install? My board is having weird issues; internet connects, but opening a website never completes. Not able to connect a googlr account, which fucks with everything.
Same board here, 2Gb ram, no Wi-Fi, No Bt

I dont have any Network connection, No Ip-Adress.
PINE is connected to a Gb Switch.

Any Advice how to get LAN connection?
I cannot seem to get this image (sun50iw1p1_android_db1000_uart0_0216) on the SDCard. I have tried a number of different tools to format the card, nothing seems to make a difference.

I have successfully installed sun50iw1p1_android_db_uart0_1000M_0112 but the Ethernet connection doesn't appear to want to work, and no root access makes it difficult to do anything.

When you wrote the image for 0216; did you use phoenixcard to load the image? Or another tool?
(04-10-2016, 07:54 AM)Jadamous Wrote: [ -> ]I cannot seem to get this image (sun50iw1p1_android_db1000_uart0_0216) on the SDCard. I have tried a number of different tools to format the card, nothing seems to make a difference.

I have successfully installed sun50iw1p1_android_db_uart0_1000M_0112 but the Ethernet connection doesn't appear to want to work, and no root access makes it difficult to do anything.

When you wrote the image for 0216; did you use phoenixcard to load the image? Or another tool?

I used both images.

The version 0216 i wrote with the Phoenixcard tool.

I must say, that i also had problems to write the flash-card (Write Failed)
Then i placed the card into my laptop and it wrote perfectly.

The 0112 version is available in 2 images:
The 7Gig file can be writen with the "Win32DiskImager" tool
The 740Meg file must be writen with the Phoenixcard tool.
I was able to get sun50iw1p1_android_db1000_uart0_0216 to run, it wouldn't work with an HDMI to DisplayPort or HDMI to DVI adapter, had to connect it to my TV directly to HDMI. It didn't work on the original SD card I used, it just sat on the black screen that showed the processor model and said Android at the bottom. I ended up using a Transcend 64GB Class 10 card. It took between 5-10 minutes to boot into Android. It was still a bit choppy until I turned it off and let it boot back in.

I was able to install Kodi, it runs Kodi very smoothly and video playback, so far, seems very smooth. Haven't tested any other apps yet.
(04-10-2016, 03:09 PM)EmptyWalrus Wrote: [ -> ]I was able to get sun50iw1p1_android_db1000_uart0_0216 to run, it wouldn't work with an HDMI to DisplayPort or HDMI to DVI adapter, had to connect it to my TV directly to HDMI. It didn't work on the original SD card I used, it just sat on the black screen that showed the processor model and said Android at the bottom. I ended up using a Transcend 64GB Class 10 card. It took between 5-10 minutes to boot into Android. It was still a bit choppy until I turned it off and let it boot back in.

I was able to install Kodi, it runs Kodi very smoothly and video playback, so far, seems very smooth. Haven't tested any other apps yet.

I did end up getting the image on after about 100+ attempts... its running now.. KODI is installed... seems smooth to me.. however I add my sources from an NFS I have setup on my network.. network is so slow that i cant run anything..

Might just have to box it up until the issues with the 2GB model ethernet adapter is fixed. Hopefully the next release is rooted as well..
Pages: 1 2 3