PINE64

Full Version: RockPro64 and Pine H64 Discussion Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(03-12-2018, 07:44 AM)yours_david Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-21-2018, 11:53 PM)tllim Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-21-2018, 03:56 PM)Nelly Wrote: [ -> ]What are the improvements of rockpro64 over rock64? Worth upgrading if just using as media player or no?

Rockpro64 has more powerful CPU and GPU. However, for media player and NAS area, just stay with ROCK64.

Hi TL, I'm very happy about my Rock64 NAS setup equipped with a 2-bay USB 3.0 dock and 2 HDDs sitting on it. However, the bandwidth is bottleneck by single USB 3.0 which the speed will split in half when 2 HDDs using at the same time. 

Q is, will Pine H64 equipped with mini PCIe to 2 sata card performs better for a 2 bay nas use, like supporting 2 native sata and their speed under Openmediavault? Is it worthy to update H64 from Rock 64? Will either RockPro64 or H64 support one or two SATA or USB expansion cards in long run? 

Much appreciated for your read and answer. 

Cheers,
David

USB 3.0 bandwidth is 5Gbps. A regular 2.5" HDD will give you around 800-1200Mbps tops, so even with the 20% overhead of USB+SATA, and that is if we ignore UAS (which helps reducing the overhead to around 10%). This can be further reduced by using a USB RAID controller, which will take care of the inter-disk communication (i.e. disks attached won't be saturating the USB link for RAID or JBOD data sync).

This means that in theory you can safely attach even four HDDs to a single USB 3.0 port, and it will regain about 90% of the total HDD bandwidth. With the RockPro64, you'll be getting 3 USB 3.0 ports (2x USB A hosts, plus the Type-C port). Question is if the Type-C port will support the extra bandwidth provided by the extra lanes, which in case would mean 10Gbps, or even 20Gbps - which still falls short of Thunderbolt speeds (40Gbps), but would easily handle up to 12-14 HDDs at full speed (or 5x SATA-speed SSDs, or 2x NVMe SSDs, if a USB adapter existed).

What I'd be happier to see is an NVMe supporting board, which could drop the onboard eMMC storage, and provide faster, more compact systems. But looks like I'm gonna wait for that a few more years...
There are only two USB3 host/OTG controllers in RK3399, with selectable PHY for either normal USB3 or USB-C, so you can have two USB3 ports or two USB-C ports or a mix of those... and from what we have seen from other boards/benchmarks, the two USB3 controllers seem to share bandwidth...
For Rockpro64, the NVMe can be supported thru PCIe x4 to NVMe interafce card and utilize all 4 PCIe lanes bandwidth.

Here is the board info: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/wha...d.2498673/
On the RockPro64 sales page in the shop there is this line : "Note (the Wifi/BT model shown on photo is an optional item):". I want to see what the module looks like, and where on the board it would be slotted in. But I can't see/distinguish the module at all in the board's photo.
(04-28-2018, 03:29 PM)Tigger Wrote: [ -> ]On the RockPro64 sales page in the shop there is this line : "Note (the Wifi/BT model shown on photo is an optional item):". I want to see what the module looks like, and where on the board it would be slotted in. But I can't see/distinguish the module at all in the board's photo.

I would have thought it was was the circled part from how pine64 have designed stuff in the past and because of the can over the top of it..., but I can't confirm 100% as there's no separate picture of the module on the shop atm.

[attachment=1127]
(04-28-2018, 04:41 PM)pfeerick Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-28-2018, 03:29 PM)Tigger Wrote: [ -> ]On the RockPro64 sales page in the shop there is this line : "Note (the Wifi/BT model shown on photo is an optional item):". I want to see what the module looks like, and where on the board it would be slotted in. But I can't see/distinguish the module at all in the board's photo.

I would have thought it was was the circled part from how pine64 have designed stuff in the past and because of the can over the top of it..., but I can't confirm 100% as there's no separate picture of the module on the shop atm.

, your assumption is correct. I will post the Wifi Module on next week.
(04-28-2018, 04:41 PM)pfeerick Wrote: [ -> ]I would have thought it was was the circled part from how pine64 have designed stuff in the past and because of the can over the top of it..., but I can't confirm 100% as there's no separate picture of the module on the shop atm.

(04-28-2018, 06:06 PM)tllim Wrote: [ -> ], your assumption is correct. I will post the Wifi Module on next week.

Thanks for clearing that up.
But that location is awfully close to the USB 3.0 Type-C and Type-A ports. Is the 2.4 GHz band of the Bluetooth module safe from usb3 radio frequency interference?

If possible could you pretty please pop a bigger picture (after click) of the full board, then the one that is now displayed ?
Everything is barely distinguishable. That's what knocked me off. I'm just pushing my luck here. Because if it's not possible, it's not possible.

Sales page in the shop Wrote:2. The ROCKPro64 still in early stage development cycle, the current batch is only suitable for developer and early adopter.
(04-24-2018, 01:26 PM)tllim Wrote: [ -> ]Good news, the Rockpro64 boards tested well and pilot production just started. However,this batch has one wire modification due to PCB layout error, and the issue (at eMMC area) has been fixed and now functional.
I'm a developer but definitely not an early adopter. Will the next batch of June, be a production run, or still a pilot production run ?
(04-29-2018, 05:34 AM)Tigger Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-28-2018, 04:41 PM)pfeerick Wrote: [ -> ]I would have thought it was was the circled part from how pine64 have designed stuff in the past and because of the can over the top of it..., but I can't confirm 100% as there's no separate picture of the module on the shop atm.

(04-28-2018, 06:06 PM)tllim Wrote: [ -> ], your assumption is correct. I will post the Wifi Module on next week.

Thanks for clearing that up.
But that location is awfully close to the USB 3.0 Type-C and Type-A ports. Is the 2.4 GHz band of the Bluetooth module safe from usb3 radio frequency interference?

If possible could you pretty please pop a bigger picture (after click) of the full board, then the one that is now displayed ?
Everything is barely distinguishable. That's what knocked me off. I'm just pushing my luck here. Because if it's not possible, it's not possible.

Sales page in the shop Wrote:2. The ROCKPro64 still in early stage development cycle, the current batch is only suitable for developer and early adopter.
(04-24-2018, 01:26 PM)tllim Wrote: [ -> ]Good news, the Rockpro64 boards tested well and pilot production just started. However,this batch has one wire modification due to PCB layout error, and the issue (at eMMC area) has been fixed and now functional.
I'm a developer but definitely not an early adopter. Will the next batch of June, be a production run, or still a pilot production run ?

The antenna concern has been discussed once at CNX Software site. The ROCKPro64 Wifi/BT module is NOT on board antenna type which may subject to the USB 3.0 noise interference. The ROCKPro64 Wifi/BT module using u.fl and we supply two wire antennas, just makes sure that the Wire antenna not getting too close or wire parallel with USB 3.0 cable. If not conformable with the Wifi/BT module due too close to USB 3.0, then the other option is using the PCI-e Wifi card.

The next batch should be product run unless this batch burn-in test result call fro another pilot run.

There is NO wire modification on current board, this issue has been fixed without physical jumping a wire.
(04-29-2018, 08:49 AM)tllim Wrote: [ -> ]The antenna concern has been discussed once at CNX Software site. The ROCKPro64 Wifi/BT module is NOT on board antenna type which may subject to the USB 3.0 noise interference. The ROCKPro64 Wifi/BT module using u.fl and we supply two wire antennas, just makes sure that the Wire antenna not getting too close or wire parallel with USB 3.0 cable. If not conformable with the Wifi/BT module due too close to USB 3.0, then the other option is using the PCI-e Wifi card.

The next batch should be product run unless this batch burn-in test result call fro another pilot run.

There is NO wire modification on current board, this issue has been fixed without physical jumping a wire.

I wasn't aware that the BT/WiFi module had U.FL connectors for external antennas. Big grin here.  Big Grin  Thanks!
The project I want to use this for involves BT connections and compression.

And thanks for improving the board's spec by adding DDR4. And at no additional cost.
(04-29-2018, 10:50 AM)Tigger Wrote: [ -> ]I wasn't aware that the BT/WiFi module had U.FL connectors for external antennas. Big grin here.  Big Grin  Thanks!
The project I want to use this for involves BT connections and compression.

And thanks for improving the board's spec by adding DDR4. And at no additional cost.

If using on-board antenna and place in middle on the main board, the performance can be suck. Having U.FL connectors allows user to explore their option.

There is risk on adding LPDDR4 due to this is first time RK3399 using this memory configuration. Thanks on Rockchip involvement and seems like this risk is paid off.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9