PINE64

Full Version: Unable to change resolution and poor performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Community,

I've already opened a Thread, concerning my issues with the Rock64, however there are similar issues with my Pine A64-LTS aswell. Altough I've used the bsp-Kernel variants, everything is laggy and choppy, even though I expected at least the xenial MATE build to work properly. The intended use is inside a self-made Tablet and while this could bring up the conlusion, that I want it to have Android, I don’t. My preferred choice is Linux, even better if I could use GNOME 3 on it (also my touch screen wasnt supported by Android and it was slow for whatever reason aswell.). Like in my Rock64 Thread, GNOME 3 showed llvmpipe as graphics device (backchecking with the system-monitor confirmed that it was software rendering) so that was unusable. I really love this board for the fact, that it has battery support and decent perfomance on paper, that I couldn’t see in real life yet, so how can I improve this. Also a problem that is just as big, is the fact that I can’t change resolution propery. Most images provide 1080p. What I need for this screen is 1024x600. Trying to change that in the config file always resulted in black screen/weird distortion, same with 720p. Only Armbian provided an usable 720p config. I hope for help from you guys to at least finallize this project from the software side.

Greetings, Max
if you are running armbian you will get the best support from the armbian forum. you probably should have done a lot of reading about graphics on the pine64 lts because you would have learned that using the pine64 for video and/or graphics has problems. you say you are building a tablet so what screen are you wanting to set up?
(12-19-2017, 07:54 PM)dkryder Wrote: [ -> ]if you are running armbian you will get  the best support from the armbian forum. you probably should have done a lot of reading about graphics on the pine64 lts because you would have learned that using the pine64 for video and/or graphics has problems. you say you are building a tablet so what screen are you wanting to set up?

Well the thing is, that I don't care that much, whether it's armbian, openSUSE, Xenial, Arch or anything else(Arch preferred though, but I read support is discontinued), it should just be a Linux distribution rather than Android. My used display is from WaveShare with 10.1" at 1024x600 driven via HDMI
link: https://www.waveshare.com/10.1inch-HDMI-...h-case.htm

At best the following 3 things should be possible:
GNOME 3 running on hardware acceleration (so far it only worked poorly and slow in software mode), while I know that this is a rather demanding DE, it should actually work on GPU, as it even supports openGL ES, I think the point here causing all the the trouble is the xorg fbturbo driver.

Getting the right resolution of 1024x600, I really don't get why this won't work. There even is the option for letting the pine output on HDMI at 1024x600 and I wont get proper results (like I said: distortion of the letters in tty and them being placed out of the screen's borders or even no output signal at all), in my opinion this shouldn't be overly difficult or am I missing something?

Proper decoding of h.264, I don't think this should be too difficult, for now I just wanna be able to playback local video files and eventually use moonlight (NVIDIA GameStream implementation using h.264 streaming), youtube playback would be cool, but for now is rather uninteresting.
the hardware acceleration on pine64/lts is due to libmali being used and that is somewhat limited as to the feature set it provides. as far as 1024x600 being available you may have to put in a request because as far as i know there are 3 resolutions that are provided by the standard linux builds, 1920x1080, 1280x720 , & 800x600. since you fail to mention, best overall performance is with emmc or moving filesystem to ssd and just boot from sd card. i'm not really sure about "proper decoding" of h.264 on pine64 /lts systems at this point. you might understand the graphics situation on the pine64/lts series if you would spend a couple hours reading on the forum here and armbian about the specifics surrounding grahics in general and hardware acceleration specifically because the reality of it is hardware acceleration on the pine64/lts has only just become available since maybe july of 2017 and could be classified as somewhat of a hack that it is even able to do any hardware acceleration because prior to recent advances it was not. bottom line is you seem to have a fairly demanding use case for the pine64/lts as far as what it may be currently able to deliver but before you get all frustrated wait for additional responses because i certainly may not be completely up to date.