PINE64

Full Version: Interested in buying rock64 few questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello I recently found out about the rock64 and have become very fascinated with it as it sounds fantastic! I wanted to ask a few questions before buying as I have been burnt with mini pcs before previously the ugoos ut3s and more recently the khadas vim. Both had promises of being able to be able to play HD video in Linux but never ended up providing the support making Linux and therefore the boxes themselves useless to me.

Can the rock64 handle HD video in Linux? Also can it boot dual OS eg Linux/android? I would like be able to boot one rom from emmc and another from sd card is this possible? How stable are roms at the moment, many bugs? Also can the dac work in any rom or does it require a custom rom? Thanks.
(08-17-2017, 03:04 PM)Nelly Wrote: [ -> ]Hello I recently found out about the rock64 and have become very fascinated with it as it sounds fantastic! I wanted to ask a few questions before buying as I have been burnt with mini pcs before previously the ugoos ut3s and more recently the khadas vim. Both had promises of being able to be able to play HD video in Linux but never ended up providing the support making Linux and therefore the boxes themselves useless to me.

Can the rock64 handle HD video in Linux? Also can it boot dual OS eg Linux/android? I would like be able to boot one rom from emmc and another from sd card is this possible? How stable are roms at the moment, many bugs? Also can the dac work in any rom or does it require a custom rom? Thanks.

Where to start ?

... there are no rom(s) custom or otherwise.  Video on gnu+linux is still a work in progress ;  but video on Android is 4K HDR and is gorgeous -- absolutely stunning !  This is a SoC and is NOT an appliance;  it needs to be loved, and tweeked, and maybe requires more skills than being able to tune and AM radio or watching youTubes !

You probably don't want to waste your money on it.

... on the other hand, if you're like me,  you're gonna love it !!   Cool

Big Grin