PINE64

Full Version: 3rd party eMMC? FM radio?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can the pinebook work with a standard eMMC 5.0 module? The store has great prices, but there are 128gig modules from hardkernel and others: 128g eMMC

Can the FM tuner in the RTL8723CS sdio module be accessed from linux?
(08-08-2017, 08:55 AM)skot Wrote: [ -> ]Can the pinebook work with a standard eMMC 5.0 module? The store has great prices, but there are 128gig modules from hardkernel and others: 128g eMMC

Can the FM tuner in the RTL8723CS sdio module be accessed from linux?

The eMMC module you reference should work fine;  a couple of our guys have the eMMC modules for Odroid (and the adapter) and they seem to work just fine.  The store carries the Foresee modules.

( I recommend opening a separate thread to discuss the FM sdio module )
(08-08-2017, 08:55 AM)skot Wrote: [ -> ]Can the FM tuner in the RTL8723CS sdio module be accessed from linux?
Not seeing anything FM related in the devices in linux (would expect a v4l device for it, which my USB tuner does show)

So no out-of-the box driver support. And chances are that there is no proper antennae hooked up. WiFi and FM require quite different antennae.

(no idea on the emmc)
good catch on the existence of the fm tuner!
If anyone has information on how the FM tuner on RTL8723BS works, please post it... even under NDA, there is no real documentation of that feature Smile
I would love to try out any radio function.
Thanks for all the info everyone! I've ordered a new eMMC.

I also tried NextRadio on android 7 sd and 6 ssd with no luck. Digging into the linux driver's source yields absolutely nothing relating to FM or VHF. I have yet to compare with the android source, but im sure its similar or identical since it works on neither. It looks like a neat wireless module, so I'm sure if more android phones start using it, we'll get further.