PINE64

Full Version: DVD Ripping
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am working on a project to rip all of my physical DVDs to digital files, and sharing them on my network via minidlna from my Pine board. Right now, I am using DVD Decrypter+Handbrake on my Windows box, and I'm getting decent enough rips. I'm wondering if it makes sense to connect a USB DVD drive and rip directly on the pine using something like handbrake-cli. Would the USB have enough bandwidth to do both reading from the DVD and then writing to the 1TB drive? Or am I better off sticking with my Windows box doing the rips and just copying the files across the network once the rip is complete? Has anyone else attempted to do something like this already? If so, do you have any scripts you can share to make my life easier?
(07-31-2017, 04:57 PM)joey Wrote: [ -> ]I am working on a project to rip all of my physical DVDs to digital files, and sharing them on my network via minidlna from my Pine board. Right now, I am using DVD Decrypter+Handbrake on my Windows box, and I'm getting decent enough rips. I'm wondering if it makes sense to connect a USB DVD drive and rip directly on the pine using something like handbrake-cli. Would the USB have enough bandwidth to do both reading from the DVD and then writing to the 1TB drive? Or am I better off sticking with my Windows box doing the rips and just copying the files across the network once the rip is complete? Has anyone else attempted to do something like this already? If so, do you have any scripts you can share to make my life easier?

[lecture]
What you're doing is not legal in most jurisdictions;  don't discuss it on-line, and proceed with caution.
[/lecture]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

It's only illegal to share the files with others.
(07-31-2017, 05:05 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2017, 04:57 PM)joey Wrote: [ -> ]I am working on a project to rip all of my physical DVDs to digital files, and sharing them on my network via minidlna from my Pine board

[lecture #1]
What you're doing is not legal in most jurisdictions;  don't discuss it on-line, and proceed with caution.
[/lecture #1]

[lecture #2]
Based on the premise of your question, I'm pretty sure that your intent is to be illegal in most jurisdictions!
[/lexture #2]

Note:   sharing DVD(s) from your pine board in the U.S.  is investigated by the FBI in the United States, for instance, and the penalty is a huge fine and imprisonment !
(07-31-2017, 04:57 PM)joey Wrote: [ -> ]I am working on a project to rip all of my physical DVDs to digital files, and sharing them on my network via minidlna from my Pine board. Right now, I am using DVD Decrypter+Handbrake on my Windows box, and I'm getting decent enough rips. I'm wondering if it makes sense to connect a USB DVD drive and rip directly on the pine using something like handbrake-cli. Would the USB have enough bandwidth to do both reading from the DVD and then writing to the 1TB drive? Or am I better off sticking with my Windows box doing the rips and just copying the files across the network once the rip is complete? Has anyone else attempted to do something like this already? If so, do you have any scripts you can share to make my life easier?

Because of the fair-use provisions of Title 17 of the US code, you have little reason to to be concerned about any FBI investigations. For personal use of materials which you have legally purchased, whilst the purpose and character of the use being non-commercial not an automatic trigger for the fair use protections, when linked with not  allowing the public to obtain material at no cost, this will almost completely stop an action in its tracks, and anyone who has been following the DMCA and fair use discussions over the years would know this. The FBI will not investigate personal use duplication, but will only focus on duplication for distribution, which has effect on the works value (cue why Sony's BetaMax wasn't stopped in it's tracks by Universal, because there was no evidence to prove that their viewership or business was negatively affected, it just died out because Sony was stupid and didn't make it comparable to VHS in length & price until too late). 

But getting back to your question... DVD read speeds are based off 1X (1.3MB/s), and since reads starts slow, and increase as you get to the outer edges which are moving past the head faster, let's say 10x overall. so 13MB/s overall read speed. USB2 is theoretically 60MB/s, but because of marketing bs, overheads, and limitations, lets cap it at 40MB/s on the pine64. So you have some 27MB/s leftover at best for the USB, and it can't write faster than the DVD can read, so a straight 1:1 transfer would imply you'd be fine. 

But, you want to use something like handbrake-cli, so the question should probably be ... can the A64 CPU keep up, or will it be the bottleneck. As I think that you'll find the USB2 performance, if tweaked right, can keep up, or be marginally over-saturated.. in a 1:1 transfer, but as soon as you want to compress... the CPU will be the bottleneck. By how much, I don't know. But there is hw accelerated encoding present, so maybe it will cope, maybe not?
Joey,  keeping in mind that pfeerick is a law-student in Australia,  in the United States even  "ripping" your DVD(s) is illegal !  ... in fact, in many jurisdictions even owning the software that allows you to "rip" your DVD(s) is illegal !  ... under DCMA, and DRM.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a card carrying member of the FSF and I stand strictly in opposition to those two laws...

Keep in mind if you provide a mini torrent to your dorm its not fair use...

... if you provide a small distribution to your neighborhood friends, its not fair use...

... if you distribute to even ONE person in the public sphere, it is not fair use...  

My words of warning for you are don't discuss your fair use intentions on-line;  and don't announce that you are using "ripping" software to rip-off the arts industry on-line;  if you live in the United States the FBI will be calling on you...

... words to the wise.
(07-31-2017, 08:02 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: [ -> ]Joey,  keeping in mind that pfeerick is a law-student in Australia,  in the United States even  "ripping" your DVD(s) is illegal !  ... in fact, in many jurisdictions even owning the software that allows you to "rip" your DVD(s) is illegal !  ... under DCMA, and DRM.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a card carrying member of the FSF and I stand strictly in opposition to those two laws...

Funny you would mention that. I didn't know that Australia had a Title 17 United States code, nor that it had a fair use doctrine. Oh, wait a minute... IT DOESN'T! And since when is Digital Rights/Restrictions Management a law? Or does that stand for something else (because the last I checked, it was still a licensing system, but because it brings encryption with it, it interacts with the DCMA - but is not a law itself)? And unless I was aware of a provision with regards to owning software, that's not the case either. The DCMA provisions are explicit on that it is the circumvention of encryption that is illegal, unless you seek an exemption, which you need to renew every three years. This is exactly the reason why there is no issue with format shifting of Audio CDs for use with your MP3 player or iPod. Unlike in the UK, where a couple of years ago legislation was introduced that lifted the draconian laws that prohibited exactly that, and less than 2 years later (in 2015), rolled back the changes. Making it so that the 'Rip CD' option in iTunes is illegal to use in the UK. The option is still there in the software, you just can't 'legally' use it!

Here in Australia we still have what we jokingly refer to as VHS era rules (because until just recently, it was STILL 'illegal' to record something on the TV to watch later, yet you could would into any electrical store and pick from some 20 different models of VCR, but in the US that was dealt with properly in the aforementioned Sony vs Universal case, which funnily enough revolved around fair use) where it's OK to copy a song onto one device, like your iPod, but illegal to copy it onto two, like your iPod and iPad. It’s also illegal to copy a video file, say from a DVD, onto another device like a tablet. Which hasn't stopped our population one bit... and more than 60% believe that it should be legal. And it's all because you don't own the copy of the movie on that DVD, it's 'licensed', and you're bound by the conditions of that license, and what the law then entitles you to do.

For example, a direct quote from the FBI: "The FBI recognizes that the fair use of copyrighted materials, as codified in Title 17, United States Code, section 107, does not constitute copyright infringement. The APW Seal is not intended to discourage fair uses of copyrighted materials that are consistent with U.S. law" (APW being the FBI Anti-Piracy Warning Seal). So if you are following the copyright rules (which are morally reprehensible, but that is another issue), and the fair use doctrine, (which exists to make copyright more palatable) then you are fine. The catch here comes from the DCMA act's encryption circumvention clauses.

(07-31-2017, 08:02 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: [ -> ]Keep in mind if you provide a mini torrent to your dorm its not fair use...

... if you provide a small distribution to your neighbourhood friends, its not fair use...

... if you distribute to even ONE person in the public sphere, it is not fair use...  

Yes, that's all true, but that also has absolutely NOTHING to do with the OPs stated purpose, so please stop bringing up irrelevant stuff simply to prove a point. And stop scare-mongering. The OP did not mention dorms nor distribution. In fact, he clearly stated it was for personal use. Enough said.
This is a relevant read regarding DRM, DCMA, and other pertinent laws.

The OP's stated purpose is not clear ( otherwise I would not warn ).  Anytime someone states that the purpose is to 'share' on the network it may be assumed that public sharing is involved;  until proven otherwise. Sharing by definition is not personal use.  I don't share with myself. 

Warning is not fear-mongering, not is it a scare tactic;  warning is just that -- be careful !   Certainly if fair use is employed then no problem.

Even the MiniDlna sites ( which the OP intends to use , well its the only one that really works ) all WARN their users to follow all pertinent local laws for their jurisdiction;  I find that its always best to warn in any case.

Any time someone brings up 'sharing' within the context of the digital age (modern copyright law) anything remotely related to copyright, public access, and DRM is relevant ;  particularly in the overall context of warning the public about the problem.  Which is my last point, this is not only about warning, its about education.  Anyone intending to use minidlna should be very interested in copyright law, DCMA, DRM, and all other pertinent case studies that may affect their sharing !
I agree it shouldn't be that big of a deal. He is accomplishing it with his own DVD's, not Redbox, Friends DVD's, etc. People rip CD's and DVD's all the time.
(08-01-2017, 11:10 AM)KryPtAlIvIaN Wrote: [ -> ]I agree it shouldn't be that big of a deal. He is accomplishing it with his own DVD's, not Redbox, Friends DVD's, etc. People rip CD's and DVD's all the time.

Yes, you're probably correct;  it really depends on whether the DVD(s) are protected by DRM, and whether the MiniDlna is used according to law;  96% if the time MiniDnla is not used legally.  The reason that its not any more serious for people is that its one of those things that is hard to enforce;  there is just too much of it going on all the time for enforcement to be effective;  this may be a good thing !

My primary point overall is that I don't think its wise to announce publicly the intent to replicate and share DVD(s);  the context is just too volatile and the risks are possibly serious.  The issue is not about how much you can get away with , or whether you can claim fair use as plausible deniability.   Plausible deniability goes only so far.  

... for the sake of discussion only.
Pages: 1 2