PINE64

Full Version: Auto-starting apps?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

Does anyone know how to auto-start apps on boot?

For some reason, Tasker does not do this by default, and I have tried AutoStarter, Startup Manager (Free), Autostart - no root, but no luck yet.

I'm on Android 6.0.1, using a 2Gb board.

Thanks!
(07-31-2017, 04:19 PM)Green Cherry Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know how to auto-start apps on boot?

For some reason, Tasker does not do this by default, and I have tried AutoStarter, Startup Manager (Free), Autostart - no root, but no luck yet.

I'm on Android 6.0.1, using a 2Gb board.

Android doesn't really have the concept of auto-starting apps (at least not as clearly defined as you are used to seeing on the PC or mac, or on any gnu+linux system). Android is an interactive device-- you start what you like, and usually what you start continues to run, even if you close the app ( use the back arrow )

... if you click your windows button the apps that are still running are visible;  there you will notice some of the apps that you thought you were closing -- yes, still running right along;

The concept of start and stop is somewhat blurred on Android. You certainly do not have the control over startup that you do with gnu+linux !
Hi Mark

If I understand correctly, are you saying that if I launch an app and reboot the device, that app will still be active?

I'm probably not explaining this well - basically I've got Tasker installed which, on a standard Android phone (to the best of my experience), starts on boot. Within Tasker, I have a profile with a system event of Device Boot which, on my phone, launches as normal when the device is rebooted. This doesn not happen on the Pine and, unlike the phone, there is no notification drawer (or whatever the pull-down menu is called) to display which profiles are active.

Can you see any way around this?
(07-31-2017, 05:05 PM)Green Cherry Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Mark

If I understand correctly, are you saying that if I launch an app and reboot the device, that app will still be active?

I'm probably not explaining this well - basically I've got Tasker installed which, on a standard Android phone (to the best of my experience), starts on boot. Within Tasker, I have a profile with a system event of Device Boot which, on my phone, launches as normal when the device is rebooted. This doesn not happen on the Pine and, unlike the phone, there is no notification drawer (or whatever the pull-down menu is called) to display which profiles are active.

Can you see any way around this?

I understand what you're talking about;  Android was not intended to be rebooted !  ... and most tablets and phones are not rebooted;  if you have a launcher app that launches your other apps at startup great ! I can't even remember the last time I restarted my tablet nor my phone !

One of the Android devs may pipe up here too...

... just so you know, my bias is gnu+linux; the inability to control the Android environment is just one of the reasons I hate Android.
Thanks for the quick replies - I'm quite surprised at that given the shoddy battery life of some Android devices! The issue I was having is that none of the launcher apps (I hope I'm using the right term here - am referring to the type of app as described in my first post e.g. AutoStarter) appear to work, and I was wondering if it's anything to do with the primary storage device actually being an SD card as opposed to internal memory which, as I know understand, can have a an adverse effect (i.e. not work!).

My next question would be, is it possible to have Tasker start automatically when the device boots, as per on phones, but I may start a seperate thread about that for greater coverage.