PINE64

Full Version: Rock64 as a retro-gaming console: early impressions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hey ayufan,
You posted the images for android tv on the rock64. Could you walk me through which ones I need to download? Also, do I need to write them to the SD card and then boot the rock64 off of the SD?
Actually, either ayufan or Luke could answer my question. I'm trying to follow in your footsteps and build a retro gaming console with a rock64.
(11-15-2017, 11:27 AM)nmhart322 Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, either ayufan or Luke could answer my question. I'm trying to follow in your footsteps and build a retro gaming console with a rock64.

Why not use Lakka then? Its a dedicated Linux image for gaming and its really good.  

As for flashing ATV you can find the instructions on ayufan's git
I read that Lakka is not very stable on the rock64
Also I wanted to use a gamecube controller adapter, which android already supports
(11-15-2017, 11:50 AM)nmhart322 Wrote: [ -> ]I read that Lakka is not very stable on the rock64

Link to where you read it ? I personally had no issues and tested it thoroughly.
Link to where you read it ? I personally had no issues and tested it thoroughly.
[/quote]

I honestly don't know where I read it, I was surfing for a good combination with the gamecube adapter. Also, since the rock64 can boot from an SD card, could I write the android image to an SD and then boot the board off of it?

I am obviously new to all this
I did some research, and I found that I can boot the Rock64 from the SD card alone, so that is what I am going to do. I am familiar with doing so because I own a raspberry pi, which boots the same way. Thank you for all your help with making me understand this system. I appreciate it
Excellent thread OP! Would you mind testing Zelda oot and/or Zelda MM for the N64?
(11-22-2017, 05:50 AM)Tony32 Wrote: [ -> ]Excellent thread OP! Would you mind testing Zelda oot and/or Zelda MM for the N64?

I recently tried both OOT and MM on the Lakka image - they play fine, with some slowdowns. I'd rate them somewhere between 'playable' and 'good'. The opening sequence of MM in the forest was surprisingly smooth but then the frame-rate plummeted to borderline playable (many things happening on screen inside that tree). So its a mixed bag. 

Performance on android could be better (or worse) - haven't tested. May try later if I find the time.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6