PINE64

Full Version: Rock64 vs pine64
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi community
What will be changes in OS functionalities and overall ( hardware+ OS) performance in Rock64 compared to pine64.
Will there be changes in android animation, browser and youtube video performance.
Asking this because I want to use it as a PC replacement.
Guess, it is like a mid class tablet. What you have mentioned should work.
While running Android, you're probably not going to notice much of a difference. Everything is going to work basically the same, maybe just a bit smoother. The biggest difference you may notice is that it is more capable of playing 4K video than the Pine64.
(07-07-2017, 10:26 AM)fire219 Wrote: [ -> ]While running Android, you're probably not going to notice much of a difference. Everything is going to work basically the same, maybe just a bit smoother. The biggest difference you may notice is that it is more capable of playing 4K video than the Pine64.

Because Rockchip support many video than Allwinner ?
(07-09-2017, 05:26 AM)joe Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-07-2017, 10:26 AM)fire219 Wrote: [ -> ]While running Android, you're probably not going to notice much of a difference. Everything is going to work basically the same, maybe just a bit smoother. The biggest difference you may notice is that it is more capable of playing 4K video than the Pine64.

Because Rockchip support many video than Allwinner ?

It doesn't really support any more video types (though there is one), but it has better resolution options.

The differences are:

H.264 at 4k@60fps (A64 is limited to 1080@60)
H.265 at 4k@60 (A64: 4k@30)
VP9 at 4k@60 (A64 does not support VP9 at all)
VC-1 at 1080@60 (A64: 1080@30)

So what I meant is that while the A64 technically can play 4k video, it has to be H.265 format, which severely limits the content you can play. The Rock64 does not have this limitation.
Do Chrome browser support youtube VP9 4K play in android in rock64 as there is problem in pine64 in browser video playing
Would it be possible to replace Pine A64 chip in Pinebook by Rock64? and gain some performance? Smile
(07-11-2017, 05:17 AM)Wizzard Wrote: [ -> ]Would it be possible to replace Pine A64 chip in Pinebook by Rock64? and gain some performance? Smile

They would have to redesign the card, ofc.  The Rock64 is not a notebook solution; has no LCD nor battery support. I think Pine should consider making a Rockbook ( redesigned card using the RockChip rather than Allwinner ).
(07-11-2017, 05:22 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-11-2017, 05:17 AM)Wizzard Wrote: [ -> ]Would it be possible to replace Pine A64 chip in Pinebook by Rock64? and gain some performance? Smile

They would have to redesign the card, ofc.  The Rock64 is not a notebook solution; has no LCD nor battery support. I think Pine should consider making a Rockbook ( redesigned card using the RockChip rather than Allwinner ).

I want to make one.How should I proceed.
What types of changes in hardware and os/kernel will be required in the rock64 android 7 image.
(07-11-2017, 09:30 AM)advait Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-11-2017, 05:22 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: [ -> ]

I want to make one.How should I proceed.
What types of changes in hardware and os/kernel will be required in the rock64 android 7 image.

Are you the entrepreneur I met on  irc  from India who wants to build a $108 dollar notebook?

...  I think we've already talked about this...  if not forgive me.  You need to pay an engineering firm some R&D bucks to sort out what is required for your notebook;  the discussion is way beyond the scope of this forum (or its purpose) or the  irc  chat room.  But as I think I've told you previously, is a very costly and time consuming concept indeed.