PINE64

Full Version: OpenVPN Server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking to build a fast, but quiet and low power OpenVPN server.  Raspberry Pi is too slow due to the USB Ethernet.

Is a Pine64 a good platform for this project at this time?  What flavor Linux do people seem to prefer?  And where does the OS reside?  From the spec sheet I didn't see anything about using a flash drive or SD chip.
Havn't tried it myself, but the pine64 should be up to the task. As you've got a decent number of cpu cores to spread the load and the GbE ethernet works well with most setups. Ubuntu Xenial (16.04 LTS) is the most up maintained and the distro I use on all of my stuff. As far as where the OS lives... on a microSD card. If you want faster performance, it might be worth looking at the SoPine + baseboard, or if you can wait for a couple of weeks, perhaps the rock64, as that has a removable eMMC module, GbE ethernet, a slightly faster CPU, and more recent linux kernel support than the pine64. Just keep in mind it will be very new product, so things are still rough around the edges. But it is shaping up to be a nice board already Wink
(07-02-2017, 05:43 PM)Binchonchicken Wrote: [ -> ]I'm looking to build a fast, but quiet and low power OpenVPN server.  Raspberry Pi is too slow due to the USB Ethernet.

Is a Pine64 a good platform for this project at this time?  What flavor Linux do people seem to prefer?  And where does the OS reside?  From the spec sheet I didn't see anything about using a flash drive or SD chip.

The premise of your question is incorrect;

... the RPi is plenty fast enough ;  I've been running an openVPN server on my RPi b+  for over a year now !  The RPi2b or RPi3 are way more than adequate for the job;

The Pine64+ is overkill for an openVPN server;  however,  it certainly can (and is) used for the job. There are several good tutorials on-line for building the server;  the one for the RPib+ is particularly interesting, and the one I followed when I setup mine.

This link is Lauren Orsini's openVPN two part tutorial for the RPib+ (also applicable to the PineA64+)

cheers
you can check out espressobin

espressobin.net

Its comparably price and seems more of a server type product for VPN with full Gb ethernet speeds and 3 interfaces
(09-17-2017, 09:43 PM)azxs02 Wrote: [ -> ]สวัสดีฉันเป็นเด็กใหม่ฉันต้องการขอข้อมูลที่ดีจากเว็บไซต์นี้
royal

ยินดีต้อนรับยินดีที่จะช่วยให้คุณสนุกกับการเยี่ยมชมของคุณ

Shy