PINE64

Full Version: Switching GUI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi All,

happy new owner of a 14'' Pinebook. So far, everything is going swimmingly. Only bugbear: I am trying to switch from MATE to LXDE. I have successfully installed LXDE via apt-get, but for some reason, the log-in screen won't give me LXDE as a choice of sessions, only MATE. Any ideas how to remedy this?

Otherwise, lovely machine.

FB
Hi there,

I did the same thing and had the same result until I found there was an LXDE package that I hadn't installed. Once I installed that (unfortunately I can't remember what it was - possibly lxde-common?), the LXDE option appeared in the login session dropdown with MATE.

M.
Some frontends make it very clear about WM/DE selection, others have a more subtle dropdown type selection. I haven't tried this yet but I have seen it be obvious and sometimes less obvious to choose the window manager.
(06-30-2017, 11:14 PM)falcon15500 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there,

I did the same thing and had the same result until I found there was an LXDE package that I hadn't installed.  Once I installed that (unfortunately I can't remember what it was - possibly lxde-common?), the LXDE option appeared in the login session dropdown with MATE.

M.

YES!

lxde-common it is.

Works well now with LXDE and has had a considerable speedbump.

Many thanks.

FB
(07-01-2017, 05:54 AM)fordiebianco Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-30-2017, 11:14 PM)falcon15500 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there,

I did the same thing and had the same result until I found there was an LXDE package that I hadn't installed.  Once I installed that (unfortunately I can't remember what it was - possibly lxde-common?), the LXDE option appeared in the login session dropdown with MATE.

M.

YES!

lxde-common it is.

Works well now with LXDE and has had a considerable speedbump.

Many thanks.

FB

I just wanted to put this here as well. XFCE requires a similar install besides the actual DE. Xfce4-session installs a file that should add an option for login managers to run and Xfce session. The Xfce Desktop Environment does not have its own DM, but various options are available like gdm, slim, lxdm and lightdm.
Out of curiosity, does the XFCE battery indicator (applet) display correct % ?
Not sure yet. I just found that going to install tonight when I get home from work. I'll let you know

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
(07-02-2017, 09:18 AM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]Out of curiosity, does the XFCE battery indicator (applet) display correct % ?

It didn't for me, when I checked it out.  I was in too much of a hurry to play with my PB at the time, so I wiped LXDE off again before trying to fix any issues.  However I did notice it was quite crisp and snappy in general performance.  Might think about switching back to it.

If anyone figures out a way to iron out any of the LXDE wrinkles, please post a mini HOW-TO!

M.
(07-02-2017, 05:38 PM)falcon15500 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-02-2017, 09:18 AM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]Out of curiosity, does the XFCE battery indicator (applet) display correct % ?

It didn't for me, when I checked it out.  I was in too much of a hurry to play with my PB at the time, so I wiped LXDE off again before trying to fix any issues.  However I did notice it was quite crisp and snappy in general performance.  Might think about switching back to it.

If anyone figures out a way to iron out any of the LXDE wrinkles, please post a mini HOW-TO!

M.

I think I will download the minimal image this coming week and try XFCE with it. Speaking of XFCE, there are Armbian nightly builds for those who wish to test it out; NB Its WIP so dont expect it to have full functionality or run well.
Wow that's awesome thanks for the info!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 2