PINE64

Full Version: UK Power Suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey all

I purchased a 14" Pinebook and noticed there wasn't a plug type available for the UK (chose EU since it's the closest I could adapt). I was curious if anyone from the tea nation had bought a UK barrel power adapter that worked with their Pinebook?

I've had some pretty so-so experiences buying power adapters so wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations, preferably eBay or Amazon. Looking forward to its arrival!

Oh and anyone who did receive it, did you receive a DHL tracking code?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
I'm just using a travel adapter and the supplied EU plug works fine, most USB type power supplies are not earthed anyway. The charger itself is the type where the actual plug pins are slipped on, so if you have a suitable 3 pin faceplate, it could be easily slipped over. As for barrel type, make sure you get center positive. The charger is rated at 5V 3A.

A tracking number was received, and also expect a bill for import and handling fees from DHL, for the 11inch I paid 31 quid extra.
Hey,

I'm using this PSU for it. That said, you can just get a stylish EU-UK mains converter at maplin for £2 Wink
(05-13-2017, 04:47 AM)soupbowl Wrote: [ -> ]Hey all

I purchased a 14" Pinebook and noticed there wasn't a plug type available for the UK (chose EU since it's the closest I could adapt). I was curious if anyone from the tea nation had bought a UK barrel power adapter that worked with their Pinebook?

I've had some pretty so-so experiences buying power adapters so wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations, preferably eBay or Amazon. Looking forward to its arrival!

Oh and anyone who did receive it, did you receive a DHL tracking code?

I'm in California and received a phone call from DHL the day before delivery saying I might have to sign for it. They gave me the tracking number at that time (not from Pine64 itself). 
As it turned out, I did not have to sign for it. Also, fortunately, no duties in the US.

The power adapter is 5v 3000ma with a barrel connector (3.5mm od) on the end. There is a common "Type H" plug which is 3.4/1.3mm which should fit.
The plug part uses a separate plug insert which is interchangeable for different types of plugs. Don't know why they don't offer a UK adapter.
(05-14-2017, 03:48 AM)stealthbanana Wrote: [ -> ]I'm just using a travel adapter and the supplied EU plug works fine, most USB type power supplies are not earthed anyway. The charger itself is the type where the actual plug pins are slipped on, so if you have a suitable 3 pin faceplate, it could be easily slipped over. As for barrel type, make sure you get center positive. The charger is rated at 5V 3A.

A tracking number was received, and also expect a bill for import and handling fees from DHL, for the 11inch I paid 31 quid extra.

I've got a barrel plug external HDD power plug, but the actual barrel seems larger than the spec. I'll have to dig it out, but you've reminded me that I have a Maplin's multi-plug PA somewhere in my house!

Really? Damn, do you have to pay on delivery then? If so, I better change my delivery address as my workplace would just send it back... I wish they would've sorted this out at payment (not digging at Pine, more at how delivery charges work in general). £31 is absurd IMO, I really hope they send me the tracking code. I've emailed them but I've been in the dark since.

(05-14-2017, 05:03 AM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]Hey,

I'm using this PSU for it. That said, you can just get a stylish EU-UK mains converter at maplin for £2 Wink

Nice looking adapter! Do you power something else at the same time with it?

(05-14-2017, 11:06 AM)mspohr Wrote: [ -> ]I'm in California and received a phone call from DHL the day before delivery saying I might have to sign for it. They gave me the tracking number at that time (not from Pine64 itself). 
As it turned out, I did not have to sign for it. Also, fortunately, no duties in the US.

The power adapter is 5v 3000ma with a barrel connector (3.5mm od) on the end. There is a common "Type H" plug which is 3.4/1.3mm which should fit.
The plug part uses a separate plug insert which is interchangeable for different types of plugs. Don't know why they don't offer a UK adapter.

God damn I hope they don't do that to me! Otherwise the package will end up being denied. Although, hopefully in such scenario I can go pick it up from somewhere.

I imagine Pine didn't expect many UK orders, or the factory didn't produce UK adapters. I'll have to have a look, but I'm pretty sure I actually have one of these somewhere for a Router I ordered years ago that came with EU plugs.
Btw, Pine64 is not also a UK based company?
Regarding import tax, both Dave and I had to pay £26. You HAVE TO pay on delivery - and in cash in might add.
About the adopter; there is too much noise for powering two SBCs at the same time unfortunately. Under load they become unstable and crash. But for just one Pine64 or Pinebook it woks great.

(05-15-2017, 03:04 AM)Wizzard Wrote: [ -> ]Btw, Pine64 is not also a UK based company?

Nope. Offices in Malaysia, Cali US and factory in China i belive Smile
(05-14-2017, 05:03 AM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]Hey,

That or a nice multi-input powerboard like this nice one.... although I think the Maplin option is better for you UK guys Wink

Would be nice to see if someone can find a source for the adapter plates... I have a couple other power bricks with multiple adapters, but nothing that fits. I got a EU plate also, but it wasn't an issue as I have the aforementioned power-board / adapters and I power the pinebook using one of these multi-port adaptors anyway.
So do you guys connect it via a cable like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Ty...B007BPQJSY

I'm honestly shocked to find a device like this can be powered by tablet equivalent chargers [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY] although I also feel I've missed the specification sheet.

Thanks for all your helpful responses guys! Does anyone know how you can calculate the import duty fees? Work agreed to let it through, but I'll need to pay it in cash upfront.

(05-19-2017, 01:54 PM)soupbowl Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for all your helpful responses guys! Does anyone know how you can calculate the import duty fees? Work agreed to let it through, but I'll need to pay it in cash upfront.

The duty|tax|tarrif is determined by customs which varies from country to country based on ( I presume ) the type of item coming in and its perceived value;  some countries like the U.S. and Australia have 'none' on this type (electronics) of a value less than $1000.  Other countries like the U.K. and Germany, or Canada,  are assessing a duty of about ($40) but that amount varies by country.
Pages: 1 2