PINE64

Full Version: About the Pinebook - What to expect
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
(04-30-2017, 08:55 AM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]CaptainZalo,

I am running ayufan's android 7 on the Pinebook and its considerably quicker (and not only in generic benchmarks) than android 6, so I strongly suggest you give it a go. It also comes with with the benefit of split-screen. Notably, the build I am using (labelled pre-release from 4 days ago - at the time of writing) the webcam and earphone jack does not work. Everything else works like a charm however.
And yes, N64 as well as PS1 emulation using a controller is quite a bit of fun Smile

Is there a prepacked image ready for a microSD-card? I'd love to try it.
(04-30-2017, 09:59 AM)CaptainZalo Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2017, 08:55 AM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]CaptainZalo,

I am running ayufan's android 7 on the Pinebook and its considerably quicker (and not only in generic benchmarks) than android 6, so I strongly suggest you give it a go. It also comes with with the benefit of split-screen. Notably, the build I am using (labelled pre-release from 4 days ago - at the time of writing) the webcam and earphone jack does not work. Everything else works like a charm however.
And yes, N64 as well as PS1 emulation using a controller is quite a bit of fun Smile

Is there a prepacked image ready for a microSD-card? I'd love to try it.

I am running this version but he is building a lot of stuff currently (including Linux which I am about to try) which you can follow on Jenkins. I believe there is an even newer build in progress. I have flashed his A7 to eMMC and oh boy is it a good build. It really is. The only thing I would like the webcam for is unlocking the Pinebook via face recognition. 
Will let you and everyone else know how his Linux build is - but as you probably know even his pre-release stuff is usually solid.

Ayufans Ubuntu build does not have the screen tearing issues !!!
Edit: his latest build includes fixes for most things -- I have amended the bug thread (crossed most things out) as for now you should probably use his ubuntu build. 

download the pre-release here
Guys, you really calmed me down. I really cannot wait to get my Pinebook.
I must be missing it somewhere but how do you get it to boot from the mini-sd so that is loads the new image?
Use the beta installer-tool in the main header on this forum combined with the proper pinebook image, and it will autoinstall to the eMMC and fire up as it's supposed to. My try with Ayufan's Android 7 last night ended in a blank screen, so I'm trying again tonight with another image.
(04-28-2017, 09:27 AM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-28-2017, 06:25 AM)ta2025 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-27-2017, 05:11 AM)ta2025 Wrote: [ -> ]I received my invitation for the 11" on April 26 and promptly paid for it via paypal and got an order confirmation.

Today, on the 27th I got a message that the 11" are out of stock but it appears to be a general message.   Does this mean that there is an 11" model with my name on it already in the queue or does this mean that I didn't make the cutoff and I need to reorder a 14" model?

Thanks!

Can anyone chime in on this?   I don't want to be rude, but I emailed sales@ and no one has responded yet and according to the email, there is a 1 week window to make a decision.

I suggest you make a separate post about it - will be easier for pgmy64 or tllim to see your question. The rest of us cant  answer you with certainty. Alternatively, try to get hold of tllim or pgmy64 on IRC.

I made a separate post.  I haven't actually used IRC in about 20 years :-)
(04-30-2017, 10:55 AM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]Ayufans Ubuntu build does not have the screen tearing issues !!!
Edit: his latest build includes fixes for most things -- I have amended the bug thread (crossed most things out) as for now you should probably use his ubuntu build. 

I second that Wink I tried it out on a microSD card last night, and was pleasantly surprised that the sound worked perfect OOTB and screen tearing was gone. It did 'feel' a little rough/jerky, but that was probably the microSD not performing as well as the eMMC. However, full-screen video playback is no longer possible, and I think 1:1 video playback was harder on the pinebook than for the original image. However, I fully understand that this is a pre-release image, so things can and will break. I take my hat off to Ayufan (or I would if I had one on Big Grin ) for the hard work he is doing, and I look forward to future builds Wink  I see he's been busy adding more stuff just in the last few hours for bluetooth support and install to eMMC... nice!

Oh, and yes, as Ayufan said... the hall effect sensor for detecting lid closure just works OOTB in the 0.3.1 build I tried last night (it just wasn't auto-loaded in the earlier releases).

I was going to open an issue to note this, but arufan hasn't enabled that on his repo - the boot logo is for the for the android build.  Hopefully can can be replaced with the pinebook one at some point? Fixed somewhere between 0.3.1 and 0.3.5 Wink
Is it possible to have dual boot system (Linux for work and Android for fun)? Smile
(05-02-2017, 05:38 AM)Wizzard Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to have dual boot system (Linux for work and Android for fun)? Smile

Sure is! I've got android on eMMC and Linux on SD :Smile (mostly because I know I will be switching Linux builds a lot)
(05-02-2017, 05:40 AM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-02-2017, 05:38 AM)Wizzard Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to have dual boot system (Linux for work and Android for fun)? Smile

Sure is! I've got android on eMMC and Linux on SD :Smile (mostly because I know I will be switching Linux builds a lot)

Great, so is it easy to install some boot loader? What about performance of Linux on SD?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15