PINE64

Full Version: Camera Support Thru Android
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was wondering in the image update, if we could get usb camera support for android. This way when we connect a usb camera to the Pine, we can use the usb (since the camera module is semi short) camera natively in android as opposed to the camera module.
I believe (and also hope....) standard USB cameras (UVC) will work with the Pine as Android is based on Linux and UVC protocol is the same between Linux and Android.
(03-14-2016, 05:49 AM)g_t_j Wrote: [ -> ]I believe (and also hope....) standard USB cameras (UVC) will work with the Pine as Android is based on Linux and UVC protocol is the same between Linux and Android.

I just ordered one UVC webcam and check out.
... TL Lim
(03-14-2016, 08:55 AM)tllim Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-14-2016, 05:49 AM)g_t_j Wrote: [ -> ]I believe (and also hope....) standard USB cameras (UVC) will work with the Pine as Android is based on Linux and UVC protocol is the same between Linux and Android.

... TL Lim

That would be nice if you could confirm it works dear TL Lim. Especially for me and my project, this feature is crucial.

Common sense says it will work as almost every (U)niversal (V)ideo ©lass USB camera will work if one connects it to an Android smartphone via OTG cable. I don't see why it won't work here in our case.
(03-14-2016, 02:36 PM)g_t_j Wrote: [ -> ]

... TL Lim

That would be nice if you could confirm it works dear TL Lim. Especially for me and my project, this feature is crucial.

Common sense says it will work as almost every (U)niversal (V)ideo ©lass USB camera will work if one connects it to an Android smartphone via OTG cable. I don't see why it won't work here in our case.

I just purchased one to confirm. Once I received and tested on next week, I will post back here. Sometimes, I may be busy and forget, just bump here if I didn't response after end of next week.

(03-14-2016, 02:36 PM)g_t_j Wrote: [ -> ]

... TL Lim

Common sense says it would and hopefully it will. I've got a Banana Pi Pro and tried their Android image on the BPI-Pro and it didn't even detect it video wise-audio came through just fine. As long as it connects thru otg and/or the onboard usb ports I'll be happy. Having that natively detected in the Pine android image would be awesome because it would mean less programming for most of us to do.
Hope it won't be too long until TL Lim tests a UVC camera with his board.
hopefully it works or there is a way to enable it to work.
(03-16-2016, 05:18 PM)devildog125 Wrote: [ -> ]hopefully it works or there is a way to enable it to work.

Aside from any camera-related project like the one I'm planning to fulfil when I receive my boards, Pine64 runs Android and one of Android's basic apps is Skype. That said, If there is no UVC support then skyping will not be possible and that would be a major blow for many users, if not for all.
As long as Android will pick up the usb camera natively I'll permanently ditch Raspi and the rest in favor of the Pine.
Pages: 1 2