PINE64

Full Version: (ARCHIVED) Ubuntu Xenial Image (BSP Kernel)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34
(04-02-2016, 11:52 AM)longsleep Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-02-2016, 11:36 AM)Xyntec Wrote: [ -> ]I got my pine hooked on my monitor via a hdmi2dvi cable. I guess hdcp needs to be turned off or something. Thanks for your help!

Its off already, see https://github.com/longsleep/build-pine6....dts#L2004

It's about hdmi_cts_compatibility, that has to be set to 1 if one wants to use a DVI display with BSP kernel. In Armbian we implemented a quick&dirty script to adjust display settings on H3 boards: h3disp that could be adopted easily (by Lenny Raposo for example ;Wink ) to a a64disp version that uses dtc instead bin2fex/fex2bin. Everything else can remain pretty identical (of course device-tree-compiler package should be added to the list of default packages).

BTW: There seems to be a user definable 2nd led on the board connected to pin PL7. Would be great if this would be defined in the .dts since then the board could provide at least a little bit feedback while booting Smile
(04-03-2016, 06:30 AM)longsleep Wrote: [ -> ]I just uploaded a new Ubuntu Xenial image which includes the updated Kernel, fixing the 2GB model Ethernet crash.

Get 20160403-1 from https://www.stdin.xyz/downloads/people/l...es/ubuntu/

As always, for a list of changes and full details see the first post in this thread.

Thanks longsleep, great work !

(04-03-2016, 07:00 AM)Andrew2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-02-2016, 11:52 AM)longsleep Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-02-2016, 11:36 AM)Xyntec Wrote: [ -> ]I got my pine hooked on my monitor via a hdmi2dvi cable. I guess hdcp needs to be turned off or something. Thanks for your help!

Its off already, see https://github.com/longsleep/build-pine6....dts#L2004

It's about hdmi_cts_compatibility, that has to be set to 1 if one wants to use a DVI display with BSP kernel. In Armbian we implemented a quick&dirty script to adjust display settings on H3 boards: h3disp that could be adopted easily (by Lenny Raposo for example ;Wink ) to a a64disp version that uses dtc instead bin2fex/fex2bin. Everything else can remain pretty identical (of course device-tree-compiler package should be added to the list of default packages).

BTW: There seems to be a user definable 2nd led on the board connected to pin PL7. Would be great if this would be defined in the .dts since then the board could provide at least a little bit feedback while booting Smile

Please excuse my Linux illiteracy, but could you please briefly explain how to change hdmi_cts_compatibility to 1 or point me to a relevant article? cheers!
(04-03-2016, 07:37 AM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]Please excuse my Linux illiteracy, but could you please briefly explain how to change hdmi_cts_compatibility to 1 or point me to a relevant article? cheers!

On longsleep's Xenial image it would be the following:
Code:
apt-get install device-tree-compiler
cd /boot/pine64/
dtc -I dtb -O dts -o sun50i-a64-pine64_dvi.dts sun50i-a64-pine64.dtb
sed -i 's/hdmi_cts_compatibility\ =\ <0x0>;/hdmi_cts_compatibility = <0x1>;/' sun50i-a64-pine64_dvi.dts
# check sun50i-a64-pine64_dvi.dts manually
cp -p sun50i-a64-pine64.dtb sun50i-a64-pine64_hdmi.dtb
dtc -I dts -O dtb -o sun50i-a64-pine64.dtb sun50i-a64-pine64_dvi.dts
reboot

With Arch almost the same except of getting the dtc binary (1st step above). With Android? Neither know nor care Smile

Unfortunately it's not that easy, since you have to adjust the .dts file and then rebuild u-boot for changes to take effect. So that's something not possible for unexperienced people ATM Sad

In case you make a backup of your card and know what you're doing you might try out the adjusted u-boot-with-spl.bin overwriting some parts of your SD card as outlined here: https://github.com/longsleep/build-pine6...ot_only.sh

I tried it out with my display and since it's HDMI black gets green as expected with Allwinner's BSP kernels but when the kernel takes over the settings are dropped (I also defined 720p for my tests) and I end up with 1080p and HDMI mode as it should be with the connected display. Obviously EDID works...
(04-03-2016, 07:00 AM)Andrew2 Wrote: [ -> ]It's about hdmi_cts_compatibility, that has to be set to 1 if one wants to use a DVI display with BSP kernel. In Armbian we implemented a quick&dirty script to adjust display settings on H3 boards: h3disp that could be adopted easily (by Lenny Raposo for example ;Wink ) to a a64disp version that uses dtc instead bin2fex/fex2bin. Everything else can remain pretty identical (of course device-tree-compiler package should be added to the list of default packages).

This is a lot of code just to change display settings. I would very much prefer to have settings for this in U-Boot so people can configure it using uEnv.txt.

(04-03-2016, 07:00 AM)Andrew2 Wrote: [ -> ]BTW: There seems to be a user definable 2nd led on the board connected to pin PL7. Would be great if this would be defined in the .dts since then the board could provide at least a little bit feedback while booting Smile

Where should that LED be located, i was not able to find a picture where someone marked it and neither was I able to identify it when looking at one of my boards. Probably i am just blind Smile. PL7 seems to be used by s_jtag0 - Where does the information PL7 come from (can you point me to it?).
(04-03-2016, 08:35 AM)longsleep Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-03-2016, 07:00 AM)Andrew2 Wrote: [ -> ]BTW: There seems to be a user definable 2nd led on the board connected to pin PL7. Would be great if this would be defined in the .dts since then the board could provide at least a little bit feedback while booting Smile

Where should that LED be located

No idea, I'm relying only on this thread: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=523
(04-03-2016, 08:39 AM)Andrew2 Wrote: [ -> ]

Where should that LED be located

No idea, I'm relying only on this thread: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=523

Ok, lets discuss it there then.
(04-03-2016, 07:00 AM)Andrew2 Wrote: [ -> ]It's about hdmi_cts_compatibility, that has to be set to 1 if one wants to use a DVI display with BSP kernel. In Armbian we implemented a quick&dirty script to adjust display settings on H3 boards: h3disp that could be adopted easily (by Lenny Raposo for example ;Wink ) to a a64disp version that uses dtc instead bin2fex/fex2bin. Everything else can remain pretty identical (of course device-tree-compiler package should be added to the list of default packages).

This is a lot of code just to change display settings. I would very much prefer to have settings for this in U-Boot so people can configure it using uEnv.txt.

Hmm... I haven't looked really into it, just grepped through linux-pine64/drivers/video/sunxi... isn't there EDID support available (maybe adding 'disp.screen0_output_mode=EDID' to kernel cmdline necessary)?
(04-03-2016, 08:20 AM)Andrew2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-03-2016, 07:37 AM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]Please excuse my Linux illiteracy, but could you please briefly explain how to change hdmi_cts_compatibility to 1 or point me to a relevant article? cheers!

On longsleep's Xenial image it would be the following:
Code:
apt-get install device-tree-compiler
cd /boot/pine64/
dtc -I dtb -O dts -o sun50i-a64-pine64_dvi.dts sun50i-a64-pine64.dtb
sed -i 's/hdmi_cts_compatibility\ =\ <0x0>;/hdmi_cts_compatibility = <0x1>;/' sun50i-a64-pine64_dvi.dts
# check sun50i-a64-pine64_dvi.dts manually
cp -p sun50i-a64-pine64.dtb sun50i-a64-pine64_hdmi.dtb
dtc -I dts -O dtb -o sun50i-a64-pine64.dtb sun50i-a64-pine64_dvi.dts
reboot

With Arch almost the same except of getting the dtc binary (1st step above). With Android? Neither know nor care Smile

Unfortunately it's not that easy, since you have to adjust the .dts file and then rebuild u-boot for changes to take effect. So that's something not possible for unexperienced people ATM Sad

In case you make a backup of your card and know what you're doing you might try out the adjusted u-boot-with-spl.bin overwriting some parts of your SD card as outlined here: https://github.com/longsleep/build-pine6...ot_only.sh

I tried it out with my display and since it's HDMI black gets green as expected with Allwinner's BSP kernels but when the kernel takes over the settings are dropped (I also defined 720p for my tests) and I end up with 1080p and HDMI mode as it should be with the connected display. Obviously EDID works...

Much appreciated ! Will try this tonight Smile

Oh so it isn't possible to run hdmi-dvi currently without some more in-depth know-how ? Sad
hello,

i followed the instructions for this ubuntu install to the Micro SD card for the Pine A64+ board at your web site here, and it seemed to work. however, when i booted, it went through the usual linux start-up trace and i thought i would boot to the desktop, except then i got two linux stack trace errors and it stoped around line 44. any help here on make this work correctly, please? any help would be appreciated.

best,

—  faddah
    portland, oregon, u.s.a.
faddah,

If you have a Pine 64+ 2GB model and are trying to use the gigabit ethernet connection, make sure you use the latest image for Ubuntu that longsleep just recently posted. There was an issue with the combination of earlier builds with the 2GB boards which caused a kernel panic.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34