PINE64

Full Version: (ARCHIVED) Ubuntu Xenial Image (BSP Kernel)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34
(06-05-2016, 12:09 AM)longsleep Wrote: [ -> ]I have heard that some think that something is wrong with my images as they are so small. Properly compressed and not compromise cluttered is the reason.

+ something seems wrong with your installation and the kernel you post is not the current one. Try updating it.

Then, they can build their own and open source their methodology.  Small is beautiful.
I've just tried xenial-pine64-bspkernel-20160507-1.img.xz  and have the same issue. Nothing on HDMI.
(06-05-2016, 12:09 AM)longsleep Wrote: [ -> ]I have heard that some think that something is wrong with my images as they are so small. Properly compressed and not compromise cluttered is the reason.

Yes, there is (something wrong)... they work!!!   Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I personally find your images are just right... they give you the bare essentials to get started, and you can then add on whatever you want. But it is also great to see others like lenny providing ready built images for people who are just starting, and just want a GUI. However, I wanted a command line for a headless server, and didn't want to do the 'install GUI version and change runmode' thing... I wanted the small image size for easier backups, and tighter install base. Then I could trash the image and it would be my fault!   Dodgy

In other words, thank you for your hard work!
(02-29-2016, 10:06 AM)janjwerner Wrote: [ -> ]Works like a charm so far.
Things to do after you dd image to your sd card:
1. resize the second partition (rootfs) to span the card
2. resize the file system to span the partition
3. add the universe repository in /etc/apt/sources.list
4. sudo apt-get update
5. sudo apt-get upgrade
6. sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
7. wait for 2.6gb
8. reboot in the graphical environment
9. Win. Thanks Longsleep Wink

"sudo resize_rootfs.sh" is it correct way to expand ?    But my music player not working. it gets crashed. It is connected to my 1080p monitor via HDMi. I can hear some noise but not continuous. And I dont see any headphone option. Sorry I am new to Linux. Please help. Thanks
Thanks for all the work. This is an error report.

I hooked up an external USB hard drive with its own power supply (which has been working in another computer.) After I got the newest kernel and uEnv using scripts, and rebooted, I used the script to install the MATE GUI. When the script finished, but before I rebooted, I tried to copy (using cp) around 900 MB in around 1000 files from /var/cache/apt/archives to the hard drive. (/dev/sda2 mounted on /media/ubuntu/sea2/) I got many error reports. It turned out something like 200MB was copied and a lot of the files had only their names copied but the file sizes were 0. These are some of the errors, but the others were similar.

usb 1-1: device descriptor read/all, error -71

Call trace:
INFO: task jbd2/sda2-8:22773 blocked for more than 120 seconds
Call trace:
INFO: task ext4lazyinit:22775 blocked for more than 120 seconds

When I tried again, it said there was no such directory as /media/ubuntu/sea2/, but if you umount and mount, the directory is still there. So you can repeat the process, but the same thing happens again.

Rebooting and attempting the same thing from the GUI, gave the same results. That is, files seem to be copied, but only a few hundred megabytes in total were copied; a lot of files were 0 bytes; and then the destination was reported as not existing; but you could get the directory back by umount and mount again.
Well most certainly you suffer from undervoltage and your Drive just shuts down.
(06-08-2016, 05:04 AM)longsleep Wrote: [ -> ]Well most certainly you suffer from undervoltage and your Drive just shuts down.

I have installed the image and working great. Thanks longsleep. I have managed to solve HDMI and Headphone voice.

I have set up auto login but still it ask me to click on my id (no password) on boot. How do I get rid of that and simply just boot into the desktop?
(06-08-2016, 05:04 AM)longsleep Wrote: [ -> ]Well most certainly you suffer from undervoltage and your Drive just shuts down.

This is a reply to me? I did say the drive has its own power brick, so it doesn't draw any power from the USB of the pine64, and it has been working in another computer.

Just to check nothing happened on the way to plugging it in to the pine64, I have plugged it back in to my regular computer a few feet away, and I did the same copy procedure. To make the transfer as identical as possible, I put the same microsd card in a USB adapter, and copied the same files from the same directory of the microsd card to the same directory of the same partition on the hard drive. The files copied perfectly in under a minute. Then I did it twice more.

The only way I could think of to confirm that the drive does not take any power from the USB was to try plugging the USB into the regular computer without plugging in the power brick. The light on the drive does not come on. The computer shows no sign it knows the cord was plugged in. The same thing happens if it is plugged into the pine64 USB that way.

My conclusion is there is no problem with the power.

Maybe it takes copying a thousand files or many hundreds of megabytes before the OS on the pine64 chokes. I have never had anything like this happen with linux even if I copy files for 24 hours.
Maybe your pine64 power supply is marginal and causing usb transceivers to be flakey ?
(06-08-2016, 11:08 PM)rolfl Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe your pine64 power supply is marginal and causing usb transceivers to be flakey ?

I don't think it is weak. It definitely does not have the problem of choking while booting, or crashing, that is the usual symptom. It's a 4 port charger. What is inside the case looks very substantial, judging from youtube videos looking inside the usual wall-wart charger. It also seems to be a dumb charger that does not check what you plug into a port, but supplies either 1 amp or 2.4 according to the port you plug into.

If it were a hardware problem, I don't think the first hundreds of megabytes of files would all seem to be normal, with the rest being 0 byte files all with normal file names.

Are you using a hard drive plugged into the USB?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34