PINE64

Full Version: Pine64 PADI IOT Stamp
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I saw pine64 released the PADI IOT stamp.

Does anyone have any nice examples for reallife applications for this device?
This is a bit like competition to ESP8266 WiFi modules.
Except that SDK isn't clearly documented and community still very young.
Only the future will tell, especially that now the new ESP32 came out.
(09-13-2016, 09:42 AM)Boring Wrote: [ -> ]I saw pine64 released the PADI IOT stamp.

Does anyone have any nice examples for reallife applications for this device?

The device reminds me of my two Intel Edison modules which are also postage stamp in size, but which are each two core linux (yocto) processors with built-in MCU addon and including built-in wifi and bt.  So, while its an interesting device certainly it seems a bit like a day late and a few dollars short.
(09-13-2016, 10:23 AM)martinayotte Wrote: [ -> ]This is a bit like competition to ESP8266 WiFi modules.

Yeah, the ESP32 will certainly give a couple of projects a kick... at least one commercial project I know of has been waiting for it so they can get access to the WPA2 Enterprise radius authentication, so that should be interesting. As will the lack of documentation for some bits of it... I mean, seriously... there is a CAN bus peripheral in the ESP32, but no one knows what pins it’s attached to? lol

Make sure you check out the resources link on that page, because there is a load of stuff up there already... the pine64 developers are trying not to cause issues with lack of documentation this time around. I'm very interested to see how it can be used for audio... FLAC lossless audio and gapless playback with a device smaller than a US postage stamp? That could be very interesting indeed.
(09-13-2016, 10:16 PM)pfeerick Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-13-2016, 10:23 AM)martinayotte Wrote: [ -> ]This is a bit like competition to ESP8266 WiFi modules.

Yeah, the ESP32 will certainly give a couple of projects a kick... at least one commercial project I know of has been waiting for it so they can get access to the WPA2 Enterprise radius authentication, so that should be interesting. As will the lack of documentation for some bits of it... I mean, seriously... there is a CAN bus peripheral in the ESP32, but no one knows what pins it’s attached to? lol

Make sure you check out the resources link on that page, because there is a load of stuff up there already... the pine64 developers are trying not to cause issues with lack of documentation this time around. I'm very interested to see how it can be used for audio... FLAC lossless audio and gapless playback with a device smaller than a US postage stamp? That could be very interesting indeed.
The PADI IoT Stamp using RTL8710 and don't have the i2S output, this means no audio output. However, I suspect Realtek just disable this feature and physical hardware still there.
Can you review the product front page then, as the mention of FLAC audio and gapless playback is probably a bit deceptive. I was thinking a decoder, audio amp,  battery, etc would be needed... but if the i2S isn't there... it's really no different to an Arduino or ESP8266 controlling a VS1053B in that regard.

[attachment=558]

(09-14-2016, 04:33 PM)tllim Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-13-2016, 10:16 PM)pfeerick Wrote: [ -> ]I'm very interested to see how it can be used for audio... FLAC lossless audio and gapless playback with a device smaller than a US postage stamp? That could be very interesting indeed.
The PADI IoT Stamp using RTL8710 and don't have the i2S output, this means no audio output. However, I suspect Realtek just disable this feature and physical hardware still there.
Concerning this module and custom firmware development, how much of the ram will the WIFI functions take up? Do the Layer 1,2 functions consume the physical memory?
(09-14-2016, 05:26 PM)pfeerick Wrote: [ -> ]Can you review the product front page then, as the mention of FLAC audio and gapless playback is probably a bit deceptive. I was thinking a decoder, audio amp,  battery, etc would be needed... but if the i2S isn't there... it's really no different to an Arduino or ESP8266 controlling a VS1053B in that regard.

(09-14-2016, 04:33 PM)tllim Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-13-2016, 10:16 PM)pfeerick Wrote: [ -> ]I'm very interested to see how it can be used for audio... FLAC lossless audio and gapless playback with a device smaller than a US postage stamp? That could be very interesting indeed.

Thanks, this is an error and will take down.

... TL
I2S is there on RTL-00 with RTL8710, and appears to be working.

I have compiled an example code from SDK 3.5, uploaded to RTL8710 and checked output of I2S pins on a osciloscope.

All appears to be working CLK, DATA, LRWS, ... just need to hook up an I2S DAC chip.

Unfortunately, don't have any I2S DAC handy. I have got TDA1545A which is EIAJ and not I2S. Similar, but not the same. I will give it a try.
(09-27-2016, 02:26 PM)kissste Wrote: [ -> ]I2S is there on RTL-00 with RTL8710, and appears to be working.

Nice! It would be so cool if this device was able to play FLAC gapless audio with minimal support circuitry... would be able to make some very compact wireless audio devices with it! I look forward to hearing your progress! Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3