PINE64

Full Version: Mame not launching on Debian
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
When launching mame on my Debian Pine64 I'm getting the following.  Do I need to update the display drivers?

libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457Sadsnd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: Permission denied
OpenGL: VBO not supported
OpenGL: PBO not supported
OpenGL: FBO not supported
X Error of failed request:  GLXBadRenderRequest
  Major opcode of failed request:  148 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  1 (X_GLXRender)
  Serial number of failed request:  33
  Current serial number in output stream:  33
That's a weird error. Looks like it doesn't like the audio driver as well as display.

What version of Mame are you trying to run?

I have successfully compiled the Mame source on ubuntu and hit a road block with the display binaries. Still waiting patiently.

Sent from my HUAWEI RIO-L02 using Tapatalk
hm... looks like sound (/dev/snd/seq) and video failed...

I'm sure I saw a a posting about OpenGL and the mali driver, which may be needed to get the OpenGL stuff going, but I can't find it now. Hopefully will chirp up on this, as I'm sure he was the poster. 

If that is the case, you are unfortunately stuck in until the EULA licensing gets sorted out, as the mali driver is working, but there are some issues with the licensing on the binary files, hence making so you can't just download a working image. It's been about a month since the last word on progress, so hopefully we'll here some good news soon.
hi guys,

I had a long and very interesting talk this afternoon with longsleep on the irc chat. 

... as far as he is concerned, there is no work being done on 'this' and the video 'thing' on gnu+linux is at a stand-still. That is the truth... and its been a long time coming. Even though drm can be integrated in the kernel (and mine is) the default image does not have it integrated (nor will it) and the integrated kernel is experimental only. (the truth)

Now then, you have to understand where longsleep is coming from.  His take is that if you want video you use android, not linux. And, his take is that gnu+linux is for headless server use and virtualization only.  (he and I disagree about this most vehemently)  But, that's why he got into rolling the kernel in the first place... the only reason we have hdmi in the longsleep kernel (these are HIS words) is "because it was so easy".   Not because he thinks it should be there!
(again, the truth)

Now then, somebody (mainlining kernel people, and maybe lennyraposo) may  in fact be working on 'this'. But, at this point in time, its at a stand-still because redistributing the video stuff (which is not open source, and which is under NDA(s) ) violates the GPL.  longsleep isn't going to do it... period. lennyraposo is going to have a hard time doing it.  So, we are (as it were) between a very hard rock and a very tight space.

Please don't shoot the messenger. I'm just passing on what I know, as truthfully as I can remember it. If it looks like nothing is happening here with linux and video, well, that's because nothing is happening here with linux and video.
Yeah beginning to think that this pine 64 is turning out to be a flop. Its not even heavy enough for a paper weight.

If I want basic gpios then the RPI works well out of the box. The same with arduino. Both of which I have written code that hasn't had any issues. Most of the time you can use a library or bit bash pretty easy. From what I have been reading the gpios on the pine are hacked together to kinda work. I2c or spi doesn't seem to work with common languages like python. I'm not skilled enough to hack together a C coded library from an RPI to maybe make it work.

There were 2 main things I wanted to do with the pine; Mame or touch screen Ubuntu... Both of which seem like that's never going to happen. I'd be happy if I only had terminal access and an on screen keyboard with my playbox enclosure, when and if that finally arrives.

I have a media server on an i5 that doubles as my media center so the pine is useless there.
What else can I use it for that the RPI doesnt already do better? Not much unless I want to use android.

I tested a couple of android distros (latest LCD and normal) and both feel really laggy and too unusable and the reports about remix are not inspiring me to attempt to re-learn java from 10+ years of trying to forget about that part of my life.

Sorry MarkHaysHarris and longsleep this is not directed at you. Its not really directed at anyone its just my frustration of this board. I hate seeing it lying around doing nothing when it has so much potential.

Anyhow my rant is over. Back to the topic at hand.

With Mame we need the driver binaries. I got errors like "can't find binary file Mali" for opengl or something along those lines. I'll have to check next time I power up the board

I purchased the pine for 2 purposes.  Common use cases it seems.

1) To get away from my windows laptop as Plex Media Server.
Results: It works 'OK' under Linux, when I'm local.  When I share with friends it chokes.  I'd say it was my upstream, but the windows laptop hums along without issue (it is a cheap 3 year old model).  The 4 CPU's pretty much max out on the Pine.  Is there some sort of tuning that can be done?  I'm running MATE, not Headless.

2) Replace my windows desktop that is in my Mame Cabinet currently
Should I consider Android instead of Linux to run Mame?  I have a second SD card coming today that I'll load up with Android to see.
At this point android seems like your best bet for Mame. Someone here did get it working but I can't remember seeing it.

I couldn't tell you what Mame front ends work on android though. Also wouldn't know if a j-pac or other keyboard/joystick emulator will be seen by the android system.

(08-24-2016, 03:45 PM)Ghelorn Wrote: [ -> ]At this point android seems like your best bet for Mame. Someone here did get it working but I can't remember seeing it.

I couldn't tell you what Mame front ends work on android though. Also wouldn't know if a j-pac or other keyboard/joystick emulator will be seen by the android system.

I installed Mame4droid and copied my roms over.  I can't get any rom to load.  It always complains about missing files, but they are there.   I'd prefer to use the vanilla mame rather than some app from the playstore. 

Definitely need a front-end since this is a cabinet.  I currently use maximus arcade but that is windows only.
Do your I/O's work and what are you using for your inputs?

(08-25-2016, 07:12 AM)Ghelorn Wrote: [ -> ]Do your I/O's work and what are you using for your inputs?

I haven't gotten that far.  I have an Xarcade stick that I want to hook up.
Pages: 1 2