PINE64

Full Version: Difference in downloads
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wondering what the difference is in the downloads for the different sizes of micro sd cards ?  I've tried 3 different 64 gb cards for android 5.1 and all give me in effect " not enough space " on sd card for image , but it will install a 32 gb version. None of the manufacturers will list the "TRUE" available space on their cards, and your files require more than their actual available space !! Angry
(08-06-2016, 11:25 AM)Obewon Wrote: [ -> ]Just wondering what the difference is in the downloads for the different sizes of micro sd cards ?  I've tried 3 different 64 gb cards for android 5.1 and all give me in effect " not enough space " on sd card for image , but it will install a 32 gb version. None of the manufacturers will list the "TRUE" available space on their cards, and your files require more than their actual available space !! Angry

This issue has been brought up in a plethora of threads and several solutions have been offered. By far the most preferable would be a small OS image that can be expanded upon booting to fill out the space of the whole microSD. But if things were as simple as that (for Android/Remix, this is already possible for Ubuntu and Debian, as I understand it), it would have been done already. 

I think some have had success expanding partitions for Android and Remix via gparted on a Linux-based system, but don't quote me on that. Plus there was some issue of overlapping partitions causing further problems.

Still, all in all, better to make a 60GB image and have it fit on a '64GB' card than have to step down to the 32GB image.
TL Lim has said that the engineers are working on this problem.  Ghost is correct, if it were easy to fix (and its not) it would have been fixed weeks ago.   It is NOT (in my opinion) a red faced issue  [   Angry   ]

The best thing to do at this point (from a user perspective) is get a larger card than you need (i recommend using the 32G cards Samsung Evo+ Class 10) and using them as is with what-ever sized image.  You  may find luck in expanding the partitions across the card with gparted.

Stay tuned, and stay positive !    Big Grin
use the phoenix image instead, it will fill whatever card you are using.
there are some instructions in this forum somewhere about resizing an image to fit on a smaller card if you are determined.
that procedure probably won't work out so well for android (but should work fine for linux) due to the weird partition layout. gparted doesn't seem to like it.
(08-06-2016, 01:24 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: [ -> ]TL Lim has said that the engineers are working on this problem.  Ghost is correct, if it were easy to fix (and its not) it would have been fixed weeks ago.   It is NOT (in my opinion) a red faced issue  [   Angry   ]

The best thing to do at this point (from a user perspective) is get a larger card than you need (i recommend using the 32G cards Samsung Evo+ Class 10) and using them as is with what-ever sized image.  You  may find luck in expanding the partitions across the card with gparted.

I apologize for the red face ,should have used Confused  , I ended up installing the image for the 32 GB on my 64 GB card , one question : does this make the extra space left on the available ,or can I create another partition out of that space ? I'm more of a windows person is why I ask. Big Grin
(08-06-2016, 07:06 PM)Obewon Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-06-2016, 01:24 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: [ -> ]TL Lim has said that the engineers are working on this problem.  Ghost is correct, if it were easy to fix (and its not) it would have been fixed weeks ago.   It is NOT (in my opinion) a red faced issue  [   Angry   ]

I apologize for the red face ,should have used Confused  , I ended up installing the image for the 32 GB on my 64 GB card , one question : does this make the extra space left on the available ,or can I create another partition out of that space ? I'm more of a windows person is why I ask. Big Grin

You might be able to use the  'gparted'  program on a linux system to resize the partition to use the entire card.