PINE64

Full Version: Pine64 and UFO/wild animals observations.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Please share if anybody is planning to use Pine64 to do UFO and/or wild animals observations.

I attached simple Microsoft's "LifeCam Cinema" USB webcam and installed ZoneMinder ... and it works quite good. Maybe not perfect (no 30 FPS @ 720p) but still ok.

Encouraged by that I have ordered few days ago 1920*1080p 30fps H.264 hd CMOS AR0330 2.8-12mm varifocal manual zoom mini usb camera module with Audio for machinary equipment.

With new camera I am planning to watch my street and compare image quality to current USB web cam. Later I will point new camera on the sky and try to do motion detection on flying birds. How to catch objects as small as flying plane? - I don't know Smile.
I was originally planning on trying to make my Pine watch for meteors. My initial research is not promising. Handling higher resolution images with a laptop using a low powered Intel Atom was a bit laggy & slow but usable. That was just image acquisition. I am not certain about real-time detection. The performance of my Pine in this function would likely be worse due to lower system throughput and the necessity to send the imaging data to a network based storage rather than a hard drive, like the laptop.

For my own purposes, real-time detection of meteors is not possible using the Pine (or my low powered laptop) because of the large amount of high resolution image data.

Keep us updated on your project. I am curious.

-Ken
(09-02-2016, 10:46 AM)BostonBay Wrote: [ -> ]I was originally planning on trying to make my Pine watch for meteors.  My initial research is not promising.  Handling higher resolution images with a laptop using a low powered Intel Atom was a bit laggy & slow but usable.  That was just image acquisition.  I am not certain about real-time detection.  The performance of my Pine in this function would likely be worse due to lower system throughput and the necessity to send the imaging data to a network based storage rather than a hard drive, like the laptop.

For my own purposes, real-time detection of meteors is not possible using the Pine (or my low powered laptop) because of the large amount of high resolution image data.

Keep us updated on your project.  I am curious.

-Ken

Thank you Ken for your input! What software helps to watch meteors?

I was chatting here https://github.com/UFOID/UFO-Detector/issues/41 about possibility of using UFO Detector on Pine64. Maybe one day I will try to compile it and see how it works.

My camera finally come and I must say that it can give 30 FPS of MJPEG 720p (24bit color depth). At least this is what ZoneMinder says. But overall experience is not so good. Motion detection is laggy, as well as replying recorded frames too (I am using Ubuntu Jul 16 3.10.102-2-pine64-longsleep , whole storage is on class 10 fast sd card).

I wonder if UDOO x86 can have enough cpu power to do things like morion detection? Smile
(09-02-2016, 10:46 AM)BostonBay Wrote: [ -> ]I was originally planning on trying to make my Pine watch for meteors.  My initial research is not promising.  Handling higher resolution images with a laptop using a low powered Intel Atom was a bit laggy & slow but usable.  That was just image acquisition.  I am not certain about real-time detection.  The performance of my Pine in this function would likely be worse due to lower system throughput and the necessity to send the imaging data to a network based storage rather than a hard drive, like the laptop.

Keep us updated on your project.  I am curious.

-Ken

Such a shame that it doesn't seem like the Pine will be fit for purpose for your project, I was interested to see how it developed.