PINE64

Full Version: battery power in android
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(09-01-2016, 03:55 PM)dcmorley Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-01-2016, 05:03 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-01-2016, 04:36 AM)dcmorley Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going nuts...please HELP.
I finally got my PlayBox. I installed a 10000mha li ion 3.7v 2 wire battery by soldering + & - to the bottom of 1 and 3 pins of the battery connector with the proper polarity and switched the jumper to the Batt position. Assembled it all together and tried to give it a full charge. I'm running the Pine Android LCD image. The battery shows it's charging in Android but the % doesn't increase. I then powered off leaving the 5v usb power supply that came with the board plugged in and the system switched over to charge mode. I left it sit for 16 hrs and when I powered up again Android shows exactly the same % of charge. What's going on???

The PMIC will NOT charge the batter using a two wire system.  The third wire (the center one, yellow on three wire systems) is required so that the charge system can monitor the temperature.  

You may 'fool' the PMIC by running a 10K ohm resistor from the center pin(2) to ground, on a two wire system, and then the PMIC will charge the battery.

(hope this helps you)

ThankX Mark, I'll try that. At least I now know.

I finally got my PlayBox. I installed a 10000mha li ion 3.7v 2 wire battery by soldering + & - to the bottom of 1 and 3 pins of the battery connector with the proper polarity and switched the jumper to the Batt position. Assembled it all together and tried to give it a full charge. I'm running the Pine Android LCD image. The battery shows it's charging in Android but the % doesn't increase. I then powered off leaving the 5v usb power supply that came with the board plugged in and the system switched over to charge mode. I left it sit for 16 hrs and when I powered up again Android shows exactly the same % of charge. What's going on???

The PMIC will NOT charge the batter using a two wire system.  The third wire (the center one, yellow on three wire systems) is required so that the charge system can monitor the temperature.  

You may 'fool' the PMIC by running a 10K ohm resistor from the center pin(2) to ground, on a two wire system, and then the PMIC will charge the battery.

(hope this helps you)

Mark, Should I use a thermistor or is it safe to just use a resistor?

A thermistor doesn't buy you anything because its not mounted in the battery package.  You may use a standard half watt 10K ohm resistor.
(09-01-2016, 03:55 PM)dcmorley Wrote: [ -> ]Should I use a thermistor or is it safe to just use a resistor?

You could add a thermistor, and attach it to the side of the battery pack, but we'd then need to know what value thermistor Pine64 are using in their battery pack, as there are several different resistance ranges to pick from. And you could still need to add the resistor anyway, as they are usually used in a voltage-divider style circuit. There isn't enough information about that part of the circuity atm. Just use a 10k resistor across the GND and middle pin, and your pine64 will be happy to charge and use the battery.
(09-01-2016, 05:32 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: [ -> ]

(hope this helps you)

(hope this helps you)

A thermistor doesn't buy you anything because its not mounted in the battery package.  You may use a standard half watt 10K ohm resistor.

Mark, I just got back here and saw your reply AFTER I picked up 100 10k Ω 1/4 watt resistor is the 1/4 watt good enough?
(09-14-2016, 05:46 PM)dcmorley Wrote: [ -> ]

(hope this helps you)

(09-01-2016, 05:03 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: [ -> ]The PMIC will NOT charge the batter using a two wire system.  The third wire (the center one, yellow on three wire systems) is required so that the charge system can monitor the temperature.  

(hope this helps you)

Mark, I just got back here and saw your reply AFTER I picked up 100 10k Ω 1/4 watt resistor is the 1/4 watt good enough?

1/4 or even 1/8 is fine, as it is simply clamping the temperature sense pin to GND.

(hope this helps you)

(hope this helps you)

(09-15-2016, 05:10 AM)dcmorley Wrote: [ -> ]

(hope this helps you)

(09-01-2016, 05:03 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: [ -> ]The PMIC will NOT charge the batter using a two wire system.  The third wire (the center one, yellow on three wire systems) is required so that the charge system can monitor the temperature.  

(hope this helps you)

Yes, it probably is going to be just fine.  If you want to make sure (I have not measured it) you can measure the current by taking a voltage drop reading across the resistor-- do the math, if voltage times current is 0.250 or less a 1/4 watt resistor will work fine. Its really a pull-down resistor to ground and not much current passes through it I suspect.
(09-15-2016, 11:23 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-15-2016, 05:10 AM)dcmorley Wrote: [ -> ]

(hope this helps you)

(09-01-2016, 03:55 PM)dcmorley Wrote: [ -> ]ThankX Mark, I'll try that. At least I now know.

Yes, it probably is going to be just fine.  If you want to make sure (I have not measured it) you can measure the current by taking a voltage drop reading across the resistor-- do the math, if voltage times current is 0.250 or less a 1/4 watt resistor will work fine. Its really a pull-down resistor to ground and not much current passes through it I suspect.

Got it Mark, ThankX.
Having read the entire post, I know all about which battery to use and how to fake it into thinking the battery is OK so it charges.  I actually ordered a couple 8000 mha batteries which are two lead and expect them any day now.  I looked for a battery with temperature sensing but was unable to find any.

Does anyone have a link to a battery that actually has temperature sensing?  The originators of the Pine64 got them from somewhere. Anyone have a link to a battery that has all three leads and the correct connector?

Thanks in advance.
(09-20-2016, 11:44 AM)Canyon Wrote: [ -> ]Having read the entire post, I know all about which battery to use and how to fake it into thinking the battery is OK so it charges.  I actually ordered a couple 8000 mha batteries which are two lead and expect them any day now.  I looked for a battery with temperature sensing but was unable to find any.

Does anyone have a link to a battery that actually has temperature sensing?  The originators of the Pine64 got them from somewhere. Anyone have a link to a battery that has all three leads and the correct connector?

Thanks in advance.

Finally manage to bet one batch of 8000mAH battery import into US, we will post on store soon. However, only limit to UIS due to flight regulation. I will post the battery spec on wiki page tomorrow.
(09-20-2016, 06:42 PM)tllim Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-20-2016, 11:44 AM)Canyon Wrote: [ -> ]Having read the entire post, I know all about which battery to use and how to fake it into thinking the battery is OK so it charges.  I actually ordered a couple 8000 mha batteries which are two lead and expect them any day now.  I looked for a battery with temperature sensing but was unable to find any.

Thanks in advance.

Finally manage to bet one batch of 8000mAH battery import into US, we will post on store soon. However, only limit to UIS due to flight regulation. I will post the battery spec on wiki page tomorrow.

That would be super.  Thanks.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5