PINE64

Full Version: MicroSD Size mismatch with Image
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello all,

I am quite a bit frustrated. Just received my Pine64 and began to study how to put it to work. Got two different MicroSD card (16GB and 64GB) and downloaded the images of Android OS and Remix OS. But when I went to burn the images, the things started to get out of the tracks.
In both cards, and using different OS, I was not able to burn any of the images until now (after two days trying). In all cases the error that occurs is related to the size of the image, that does not match with the size of the card. I searched for help on the web and I found that it is possible to shrink the image file. But I must confess that its not something simple for newbies and for windows users, that it's my case. 
Can anyone help me with this issue? 

Sincerely

Hbtr
(07-30-2016, 08:31 PM)Hbtr Wrote: [ -> ]Hello all,

I am quite a bit frustrated. Just received my Pine64 and began to study how to put it to work. Got two different MicroSD card (16GB and 64GB) and downloaded the images of Android OS and Remix OS. But when I went to burn the images, the things started to get out of the tracks.
In both cards, and using different OS, I was not able to burn any of the images until now (after two days trying). In all cases the error that occurs is related to the size of the image, that does not match with the size of the card. I searched for help on the web and I found that it is possible to shrink the image file. But I must confess that its not something simple for newbies and for windows users, that it's my case. 

Sincerely

Hbtr

Hbtr, I understand your frustration quite well. I got all the last parts I ordered this week and started looking into which image to use for my 32 GB microSD. I started with the 32 GB image for RemixOS 2.0 using the tools recommended, first PhoenixCard and then Win32DiskImager. Both gave some error but not indicating a 32 GB image file just doesn't fit a 32 GB memory card because it's effective available space is 29 GB and change. Seriously!!!  Why do the "image builders" create image files that won't fit the memory cards? I ended up using the 16 GB image file.

I found using Rufus by miles the superior tool on Windows to create boot-able images, and it's faster than the two recommended tools. It also gives you a much better message than either the two aforementioned utilities.

You can find Rufus 2.10 (at present) Rufus.
If you point Rufus to an 'img' file, it already figures you want to use DD instead of the default.

I hope this helps to get the stress levels down to an acceptable range...

Cheers,
John
(07-30-2016, 10:27 PM)jvdkleij Wrote: [ -> ]

Sincerely

Hbtr

Hbtr, I understand your frustration quite well. I got all the last parts I ordered this week and started looking into which image to use for my 32 GB microSD. I started with the 32 GB image for RemixOS 2.0 using the tools recommended, first PhoenixCard and then Win32DiskImager. Both gave some error but not indicating a 32 GB image file just doesn't fit a 32 GB memory card because it's effective available space is 29 GB and change. Seriously!!!  Why do the "image builders" create image files that won't fit the memory cards? I ended up using the 16 GB image file.

I found using Rufus by miles the superior tool on Windows to create boot-able images, and it's faster than the two recommended tools. It also gives you a much better message than either the two aforementioned utilities.

If you point Rufus to an 'img' file, it already figures you want to use DD instead of the default.

Cheers,
John

Hello John,

Thank you! It worked!
It was great to find someone that understood and spoke my same language (Not linux only).
Your hints worked perfectly.
And yes, the stress levels went down at the moment that I saw the Remix Os logo flashing in the screen.

Ps.: I would like to share my experience. I am using the Pine64 1GB + Remix OS, on a Motorola Atrix Lapdock. I bought the lapdock on the web for less than US$20, and with it I have a 720p 11" screen, USB HUB, Speakers, Trackpad, Keyboard, Battery Pack and a form factor of a very slim notebook. I surely recommend it for anyone that fools around with single board computers. ;-)

Hbtr
(07-31-2016, 07:38 AM)Hbtr Wrote: [ -> ]

Sincerely

Hbtr

Cheers,
John

Hello John,

Thank you! It worked!
It was great to find someone that understood and spoke my same language (Not linux only).
And yes, the stress levels went down at the moment that I saw the Remix Os logo flashing in the screen.

Ps.: I would like to share my experience. I am using the Pine64 1GB + Remix OS, on a Motorola Atrix Lapdock. I bought the lapdock on the web for less than US$20, and with it I have a 720p 11" screen, USB HUB, Speakers, Trackpad, Keyboard, Battery Pack and a form factor of a very slim notebook. I surely recommend it for anyone that fools around with single board computers. ;-)

Hbtr
Hi Hbtr,

That's great, I'm glad it worked out for you...and hopefully some others struggling with creating their first image.

The Motorola Atrix Lapdock is a great idea. I'll be checking it out. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,
John
(07-31-2016, 07:38 AM)Hbtr Wrote: [ -> ]

Sincerely

Hbtr

Cheers,
John

Hello John,

Thank you! It worked!

Hbtr

I have the Lapdock with me and think about integrate with Pine A64 but not time to work on it. Glad that you have make this happens Smile
Hey thanks for the heads up on the lapdock. Pulled mine out of storage. Smile

Sincerely

Hbtr

Cheers,
John

Hi

I have the same headache as Hbtr but I can't get Rufus to create the drive either. I get a message saying that the (32gb) img file is to big for the 32gb sd card (bought from Pine64 website to avoid encountering such problems). I can easily see that it is too big, but I don't know what to do really..

Any idea what I can do? I have the stock SD card and downloaded the latest version of Remix OS (20160718). Both 32gb.

Using a Windows 10 computer if that helps. Tried diskpart and disk manager to find "hidden" space but nothing more available on SD card. As it states in explorer, 29.5GB available on SD which is not enough for the .img file at 30GB.

Cheers,
Stian
I have tried 3 methods to burn android-ver5.1.1-20160711-pine64-64GB to a SanDisk 64 GB  microSDXC USC-1 card, all 3 (Windows Disk Imager, Phoenix  and Rufus) and they all gave me the message "Not enough available space on selected drive". The drive properties tells me I have 59.4 GB of available space . My question is why do we advertise the file is for a 64GB card and it won't FIT ? If there is a way to make it fit please tell me !
(08-04-2016, 04:47 PM)Obewon Wrote: [ -> ]I have tried 3 methods to burn android-ver5.1.1-20160711-pine64-64GB to a SanDisk 64 GB  microSDXC USC-1 card, all 3 (Windows Disk Imager, Phoenix  and Rufus) and they all gave me the message "Not enough available space on selected drive". The drive properties tells me I have 59.4 GB of available space . My question is why do we advertise the file is for a 64GB card and it won't FIT ? If there is a way to make it fit please tell me !

Same problem as me.

Found another thread (http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=1674) but there is not much help there either in regards to a solution. To me it seems they just made the img. file too large to fit most SD-cards  Huh

Would really appreciate some help with this, and hopefully explained at a low-skill level type of way..
Quote:
To me it seems they just made the img. file too large to fit most SD-cards  Huh

----------------

its actually the other way round. Many SD cards don't view a  'K' correctly.  A 'K' is supposed to be 1024 bytes.  Many SD card vendors view the 'K' as 1000 bytes.  To make things worse, often, sadly, the SD card is fraudulent by a certain percentage... so that its actually 'smaller' than it advertises even taken into account the 'K' size.

I highly recommend a good quality card from Samsung...  the Class ten (10) Evo+ cards, 32Gb, and get a card much larger than the image you're trying to write. When you're done you can expand the image partitions to the full size of the card, either with built-in tools, or with the 'gparted' program on a gnu+linux system.

Hope this is helpful.  Also, visit on the chat irc site.  Often its easier to help with this stuff on-line live than by playing forum tag...   Wink
Pages: 1 2 3