PINE64

Full Version: (potential) work-around for Playstore authentication issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
All credit goes to Keex

At the moment this is a potential work-around for the issue since I do not have a spare Pine64 to reproduce the issue. So if you are experiencing this problem please leave feedback below if this solution worked. 

Keex wrote: 

"Haven't read the whole thread, but I encountered a problem with the Playstore before.

The problem was the System Time. The Pine doesn't have a real time clock, and obviously doesn't get the time from the carrier (like smartphones). Hence it's just set to some random value a few years ago.
In my case I couldn't use the playstore (or any other Google apps for this matter). After I set the system time correctly, the apps worked fine. In the end I used an app that set the system time after booting automatically (requires root)." (original post
(06-08-2016, 06:55 AM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]All credit goes to Keex

At the moment this is a potential work-around for the issue since I do not have a spare Pine64 to reproduce the issue. So if you are experiencing this problem please leave feedback below if this solution worked. 

Keex wrote: 

"Haven't read the whole thread, but I encountered a problem with the Playstore before.

The problem was the System Time. The Pine doesn't have a real time clock, and obviously doesn't get the time from the carrier (like smartphones). Hence it's just set to some random value a few years ago.
In my case I couldn't use the playstore (or any other Google apps for this matter). After I set the system time correctly, the apps worked fine. In the end I used an app that set the system time after booting automatically (requires root)." (original post

This didn't work for me, but what does work is if I go to the accounts page and attempt to add a new account using the same email as my existing, it will error and tell you that the account already exists on the device and then allow me to install things again.
(06-08-2016, 12:29 PM)Danja Wrote: [ -> ]

Keex wrote: 

This didn't work for me, but what does work is if I go to the accounts page and attempt to add a new account using the same email as my existing, it will error and tell you that the account already exists on the device and then allow me to install things again.

Darn it :/ I thought we had a reliable temporary solution. Just for reference - could you write precisely what you did with the clock: manually set current time and date ?
(06-08-2016, 03:19 PM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]

Keex wrote: 

Darn it :/ I thought we had a reliable temporary solution. Just for reference - could you write precisely what you did with the clock: manually set current time and date ?

The first thing I did to try and fix it was change the clock to right time, as I saw it was out. With the clock to the right time difference and had it auto set. It still gave me the little triangle in the top corner that in the drop down asked me to re-authenticate. 

The I force stopped the processes and cleared the caches and no luck.

For the hell of it I tried to add my account again with the old one still there to see if it wasn't registering properly and would duplicate, it gave me the error as it should that it was already added and then I re-tried the play store and it worked.

Edit: This fixes the issue repeatedly for me too each time it happens, it wasn't just a one-time thing.
Thank you. Will ask Keex to take a look in this thread - perhaps he'll have some further pointers ...
(06-08-2016, 05:01 PM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you. Will ask Keex to take a look in this thread - perhaps he'll have some further pointers ...

Unfortunately I don't. It was just one of the problems I encountered and solved with the time at one point. As I said in the other thread, I couldn't tell if this was the same error (the error messages are not that catchy Wink). Maybe you can add the "re-add the account" step to your original post. May be one of those "If it sounds stupid, but it works, it ain't stupid." things.
(06-09-2016, 12:32 AM)Keex Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-08-2016, 05:01 PM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you. Will ask Keex to take a look in this thread - perhaps he'll have some further pointers ...

Unfortunately I don't. It was just one of the problems I encountered and solved with the time at one point. As I said in the other thread, I couldn't tell if this was the same error (the error messages are not that catchy Wink). Maybe you can add the "re-add the account" step to your original post. May be one of those "If it sounds stupid, but it works, it ain't stupid." things.

Its my fault, I was hoping for a miracle :/ I already guided so many people through: clear cache; remove acc, etc. I thought this might be the root of all the problems.

Keex wrote: 

This is working for me as well and thank you very much for pointing us to this temporary solution.
Every time I couldn't install new apps or update already installed ones and had been getting an error, I had to remove my Google account and re-add it.

Your workaround is a lot less time consuming. Thumbs up!
Edit: When I added a battery backup to power the RTC, this issue disappeared. I'll keep testing, of course, to make sure, since sometimes without the battery G. Play Store would work for as long as an hour or two.

I suspect the OP did something else, besides fixing the time.

Why? I've had all 4 possibilities:
  1. Time incorrect, Play Store worked. Didn't record offset.
  2. Time incorrect, Play Store broken. Large, unrecorded offset.
  3. Time correct, Play Store worked. -0.006 sec offset
  4. Time correct, Play Store broken.  0.000 sec offset
I used Clock Sync to measure the offsets.
That was true, but it's irrelevant, apparently.

This issue affects RemixOS and all Android HDMI images, at least.

Various things fix it, temporarily. The shortest way I found was to begin to add a Google Account.
Hello Everyone.
I too have had some issues with the playstore, receiving" DL5-" and "auth error" messages even though my profile is logged into google.
I will state at this point that I`m using android 5.1 and i have a twin AA clock battery pack fitted.
However, I have noticed that my device registers the correct time about 6 seconds after bootup. The time zone I had to change manually. This was before I fitted the battery pack.

I followed the "add account" instructions (settings/accounts/ +add account/ google)
I then entered my existing account email and clicked next.
the page refreshes and a little line of type in red says "account already exists". Below this is a blue link that says "having trouble finding your account?". I clicked it.  
It then asked for my country and mobile (cell phone ) number. I typed it in. clicked next. The screen then asked for my name - first and last. This entered, I clicked next.  A white box appeared - "google will send a code to .(your number) to verify your account". I clicked verify.  A few seconds later the screen brought up a G -code verication box. An sms message arrived a moment later on my phone and I entered the code. Validated.

I have switched the device off and on twice now and it contiunes to work. longer trials may yield different results.
If this works for you, then all credit should go to those have posted in this area before myself.
Keex, luke, NexusDude and anyone else I have overlooked.
All I did was blunder into this. I would not have arrived at it without following their instructions.
If it fails, blame me.
Pages: 1 2 3 4