PINE64

Full Version: Pine A6+ with OpenVPN
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

Congratulations on your $1m KickStarter achievement!  Clearly you have struck a nerve.  I have signed up for the Pine A64+ with 2GB RAM to use to trial Linux, as I'm becoming increasingly interested in open source / disillusioned with Apple.

On a bit of a side note, have you have tested the Pine64+ with OpenVPN?  I know it's not top of everyone's wish list, but it is mine.

I live in rural Thailand, and my internet connection is rather unreliable.  However, I have found that, by connecting to my own VPN server via OpenVPN, I can get speed increases of 50%, along with reduction in latency and increased reliability.

The other thing I've done is to invest in a Peplink bonding router, which allows me to bond multiple ISP WAN connections.  At the moment I'm bonding 4.

However, it strikes me that I should be opening a VPN connection on each WAN connection before they enter the bonding router, so I've been talking with PicoCluster about them building me an 8 board, 4 node cluster, based on Pine A64+, as per the attached diagram.

Will this work?  I don't think the chip you're using is particularly suited for AES encryption, so want to be sure before I spend $800+ on my little project!

Thanks.
(01-16-2016, 09:13 PM)sprout Wrote: [ -> ]Hi

Congratulations on your $1m KickStarter achievement!  Clearly you have struck a nerve.  I have signed up for the Pine A64+ with 2GB RAM to use to trial Linux, as I'm becoming increasingly interested in open source / disillusioned with Apple.

On a bit of a side note, have you have tested the Pine64+ with OpenVPN?  I know it's not top of everyone's wish list, but it is mine.

I live in rural Thailand, and my internet connection is rather unreliable.  However, I have found that, by connecting to my own VPN server via OpenVPN, I can get speed increases of 50%, along with reduction in latency and increased reliability.

The other thing I've done is to invest in a Peplink bonding router, which allows me to bond multiple ISP WAN connections.  At the moment I'm bonding 4.

However, it strikes me that I should be opening a VPN connection on each WAN connection before they enter the bonding router, so I've been talking with PicoCluster about them building me an 8 board, 4 node cluster, based on Pine A64+, as per the attached diagram.

Will this work?  I don't think the chip you're using is particularly suited for AES encryption, so want to be sure before I spend $800+ on my little project!

Thanks.

The A64 SoC chip has the AES encryption engine and the openVPN may be available when somebody bring up the Open WRT. Currently this is just a discussion and not yet available.
Thanks for your reply, tllim. Great to hear that the A64 SoC chip has AES encryption engine after all, and that OpenVPN may be available in the future. I will keep my fingers crossed!
OpenVPN will be available as soon as ubuntu will be.

Whenever this happen, I will be posting here an how-to create a VPN server/client with OpenVPN using a pine64.
(02-23-2016, 02:05 AM)mane Wrote: [ -> ]OpenVPN will be available as soon as ubuntu will be.

Whenever this happen, I will be posting here an how-to create a VPN server/client with OpenVPN using a pine64.

You may start right now, I've updated the ubuntu rootfs and the instructions how-to make a bootable uSD card, see http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?t...24#pid2624
(02-23-2016, 02:43 PM)umiddelb Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-23-2016, 02:05 AM)mane Wrote: [ -> ]OpenVPN will be available as soon as ubuntu will be.

You may start right now, I've updated the ubuntu rootfs and the instructions how-to make a bootable uSD card, see http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?t...24#pid2624

I don't have a pine64 yet, I should receive mine next month. Sorry about that.
I'm planning on running Private Internet Access (PIA) on my Pine64, so once I get my board I'll do a quick write up. I really don't expect any problems since PIA uses OpenVPN and is well documented. My biggest concern is to see what sort of performance I get. Right now my EdgeRouter Lite can use OpenVPN and PIA, but hardware offloading isn't supported so I take a huge hit on connection speed. Pretty much go from 20Mbps down to 5-6 Mbps if I'm lucky, running the client only on a windows PC and there is still a hit, but it is more like 18-19 Mbps.