PINE64

Full Version: Pine64 questions before purchase
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What video driver does this support, anything the same as UBUNTU?
Frame rates to expect with the camera on streaming video?  at least 320x240 15fps
Network speed and range with onboard wifi?  I need at least 100 feet
range of bluetooth?  Need at least 10 feet.
Which ubuntu build will work on this thing?
Are cases available for the camera?
Power supply required? 

If the above are adequate, it will save me a lot of time and external dongles from using my raspberry pi

thanks

Frank
The GPU is a Mali400 MP2, the video engine is CedarX. Drivers, and Linux in general, are still a work in progress as the PineA64 is very new and so is the arm64 port of Linux, in fact the RPi 3 still runs 32 bit Raspbian OS even though it is an arm64 SoC.

You should use at least a 5v 2a power supply, the RPi standard 2.5a supply is what I use through the micro USB when i power it that way, but it is probably better to supply power through the expansion header since the micro USB connectors are not rated for that much current, was a dumb idea in my opinion for both Pine and RPi to use the micro USB as a power connector.
How is your network speed with the onboard wifi chip and what is your range?
This is very important for we have a mobile rover application that we are currently using a pi for with a large dongle.
The edimax dongles were worthless
(05-10-2016, 02:44 PM)frankm Wrote: [ -> ]How is your network speed with the onboard wifi chip and what is your range?
This is very important for we have a mobile rover application that we are currently using a pi for with a large dongle.
The edimax dongles were worthless
Sorry, I don't have the plug on top WiFi/BT adapter, just was able to get a USB adapter (Canakit RT5370 based I got with my RPi 2B+) working the other day using longsleep's latest image.
If someone else would like to chime in about the new onboard wifi chip, please do.

I have heard the new RP3 onboard wifi has limited range which will not work with my application, hoping that the pine onboard is adequate, holding up my purchase until i find out more.

If the onboard wifi is slow and does not recognize wifi headless, I will need 4 usb ports which will make the pine not adequate for my application.
Well I don't have the Wi-Fi unit yet however I do know it has an external antennae optional... So that would help your range issues. Are you unable to use an external antennae? The datasheet for the camera states 30 fps at 720k and 15 fps ate 1080k whole vga is full 60 fps. I don't have my camera yet either. I suppose if the Wi-Fi card was not to your liking you could connect a different one, you would just have to manually write it correctly per the pin out or build your own board to use the chip you require. This isn't like the pi, the Wi-Fi module is a separate unit that's replaceable and customizable. The camera doesn't have a case though one can be made for it using a lot of simple methods, that said someone may have already made one, you could ask in the enclosures forum

All that said, the Ubuntu build runs as a light desktop really well but as it's more dev oriented atm you have to know a little bit about the os to add the distros and such, as well as possibly how to compile things for the chip. But the more people whom do, increase the abilities for the coast tail rider like me. Though I am starting to get a hand on some of the skills required.