KWin keeps crashing
Hi everyone !

I just received my pinebook pro today and its a wonderful device but still, I encountered some problems.
The most annoying of those being that KWin keeps crashing, randomly it seems, but almost always when I open or close a window, most of the time it seems to manage to restart itself but sometimes it does not and I am forced to reboot and it's getting really annoying
I was wondering if other people came across the same kind of bug

(by the way I kept the manjaro kde stock installation)
(05-28-2020, 12:42 PM)boudha Wrote: Hi everyone !

I just received my pinebook pro today and its a wonderful device but still, I encountered some problems.
The most annoying of those being that KWin keeps crashing, randomly it seems, but almost always when I open or close a window, most of the time it seems to manage to restart itself but sometimes it does not and I am forced to reboot and it's getting really annoying

Hello, 

Sorry about your bad experience.

Have you tried updating the system?  If not then please try updating it using the below command and press 'y' for and question it will all you. 

Code:
sudo pacman -Syyu

Hope updating the system should solve the kwin crash issue. 
Try and let me know. 

Good luck.
Manjaro ARM Team.
Devices: Pinebook Pro & PinePhone.
Yep, updating the system is one of the first thing I did so I should be on the latest version available, I'll try to see if I can find kwin's logs. and if I cant manage to fix that I hope later updates will do :p
Hi,
I also had this problem, after spending time on the KDE forums, that none of their solutions worked and other problems coming from KDE, so I flashed my PBP on Manjaro XFCE. XFCE is certainly less complete and customizable than KDE, but I find it much more stable for me.

Usually compositor / window manager / display server crashes are caused by GPU drivers.

Have you made sure you have mesa-git installed?

If that doesn't help, you could try going into System Settings and changing whether the compositor is enabled.

As a last resort, you could try using another window manager such as Openbox, which may be more stable: https://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/Using...ith_Plasma

Hi there! I just received my PBP last weekend from the August 2020 shipment and have been experiencing the exact same issue. Perhaps you've already figured out a solution to this or you've given up and moved on. I'm replying in hope that if it is too late to help you, perhaps it won't be too late for someone else.
Anyway - even after going through the optimization steps in the wiki, I still had this problem.

1. from the Pine64 wiki (https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pinebook_Pro#Customizing_the_Pinebook_Pro.27s_default_Manjaro_KDE_system)
a. follow the steps in sections 2.1.2 - 2.1.4

Additionally, open software manager and install kwin-git. This will replace the existing kwin installation and all of its dependencies. Afterward, I have rebooted and haven't experienced a single kwin related crash

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LXQt 16 with Manjaro ARM and KWin Surehand53 0 1,806 11-28-2020, 09:36 AM
Last Post: Surehand53
  Pinebook pro crashing when put to sleep?? [Manjaro] edward 13 13,267 11-17-2020, 07:17 AM
Last Post: ab1jx
  Some effects not working in KWIN decisivedove 0 1,888 03-20-2020, 01:35 AM
Last Post: decisivedove
  how I "fixed" Chromium crashing on accessing settings richfm 7 8,154 12-17-2019, 04:35 AM
Last Post: andybleaden@gmail.com