Youtube, Firefox and rtsp
Hey guys,

when I try to play youtube videos in Firefox, I get the following message:
====================

The address wasn't understood

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (rtsp) isn't associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.

You might need to install other software to open this address.
====================

Is there an easy quick fix for this?

Best,
Thomas
(05-27-2020, 02:08 PM)Concrete_panda Wrote: Hey guys,

====================

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (rtsp) isn't associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.

====================

Best,
Thomas

Is vlc an option?

====================

====================

Best,
Thomas

The easiest way to play youtube clips in Firefox-esr is to open the main firefox menu - the three lines on the address bar,
select the "web developer" option, and then select "responsiive design mode". this will add a new toolbar to the main firefox window, which allows you to select some devices to emulate, if from the first icon on the bar you select "Iphone 6/7/8" youtube will stop trying to present rtsp videos to the phone (I think maybe it will send h264?) and the videos should play.

You should be able to achieve the same effect by changing the user agent string, but I haven't found a good one yet.
Not sure if this has made it into the repos yet, but it is on the roadmap, see this MR
I just found a solution to this that might be interesting for others as well:

In firefox on the Pinephone, go to

www.youtube.com/?app=desktop&persist_app=1

You then can watch all the youtube videos on the phone ;-)

====================

====================

Best,
Thomas
with the last image (15/06/20) there is no more problem reading youtube
(05-27-2020, 09:19 PM)pjsf Wrote:

====================

====================

Best,
Thomas

The easiest way to play youtube clips in Firefox-esr is to open the main firefox menu - the three lines on the address bar,
select the "web developer" option, and then select "responsiive design mode". this will add a new toolbar to the main firefox window, which allows you to select some devices to emulate, if from the first icon on the bar you select "Iphone 6/7/8" youtube will stop trying to present rtsp videos to the phone (I think maybe it will send h264?) and the videos should play.

You should be able to achieve the same effect by changing the user agent string, but I haven't found a good one yet.

Just seeing this now, Pjsf, thank you for the tip. I know youtube plays very well now (aug 28 2020) on Mobian's Firefox ESR automatically, but I was just glad to be clued into the options and possibilities.
If you do not need to use YouTube directly, you could try:
  • youtube-dl + mpv (smplayer / smtube)
  • Invidious
  • FreeTube (once it fits the screen)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is Firefox ESR not listet under "Installed" in "Software" jojuma 0 585 08-30-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: jojuma
  Mobian + phosh firefox ublock and other overlays display bugs tuxcall 3 1,759 02-24-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: nexion
Exclamation The webcam doesn't work in Firefox anonymous 0 725 11-06-2022, 01:45 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  How to move Firefox address bar back to top? Zebulon Walton 5 2,948 06-11-2022, 09:41 AM
Last Post: iwakura_lain
  Firefox browser tweaks biketool 4 3,035 03-11-2022, 04:14 AM
Last Post: biketool
  request desktop site from Firefox-esr? nelstomlinson 2 2,255 08-16-2021, 07:23 AM
Last Post: nelstomlinson
  firefox-esr stopped working after June 18 update HLing 17 11,471 07-21-2021, 02:40 PM
Last Post: dante404
  firefox 79 will not install motox6 1 2,156 05-08-2021, 02:09 AM
Last Post: MtnSk8
  Website logins on Firefox ESR MarkF 2 3,502 10-21-2020, 06:21 PM
Last Post: User 18618
  Want a fluid Firefox experience? Do this. patrickjquinn 7 8,641 08-01-2020, 10:40 AM
Last Post: User 18618