Sxmo - Simple X Mobile Released for the Pinephone (new minimalistic UI & image)
(07-13-2020, 02:05 AM)fsflover Wrote: A couple of personal pain points. It would be helpful to have "help" in the menu with the offline usage instructions. Otherwise it can get hard when the Internet is gone.
I wish it was not based on postmarketOS but on more popular Debian, where more packages are available (or PureOS).

It would be good to be able to change brightness on the login screen.

For sure would be nice to have a 'Help' menu item - on my next retooling pass i'll try to take a stab at this to make a menu item to pop open surf with the Userguide rendered as HTML.

Regarding Debian base - I'm unlikely to push forward with it because I like Alpine/pmOS alot better : ) But that said - there's nothing stopping someone from porting to Debian. My next step on distro/infra/images is to port to pmOS proper (e.g. to allow selecting sxmo as a UI in pmbootstrap and also having pmOS's infra roll the sxmo images).

And about brightness on login screen - it's tough with XDM; though I suppose we could launch lisgd there - would be easy enough; though the user spends so little time there so hadn't really thought about it.

(07-13-2020, 02:05 AM)fsflover Wrote: The letters on the keyboard are way too small. Impossible to use on the go. They are much more pleasant, e.g., in Phosh.
(07-13-2020, 08:32 AM)--- Wrote: If the number of characters per key are an issue perhaps reducing these to character pairs might help.
I have set mine to (e.g.)
Layer 2 -> L2, Shift -> Sh (etc).

Agreed - I want to make the font bigger - there's a patch on the ML right now that might help but will see. And also this is a good idea about using L2 / Sh or better abbreviations. Will probably need this to bump up the fonts in anycase.

On image resizing - yeah it's unfortunate but the way the infrastructure is setup currently for pmbootstrap (and the image export option used).. this doesn't allow this image resizing easily. Hopefully the move to pmOS repo for the APKBUILDs will resolve this issue.
This is great. Firefox is fairly smooth scrolling and calls/sms work on Verizon.
I see that there's a new image up, is Crust implemented?
Great job on the keyboard font size - thanks Smile
Hi all, Sxmo finally has CRUST support in our new 0.1.8 image at:
http://images.lrdu.org/pinephone/

Also be sure to check out the new updated documentation for how to use CRUST / deep sleep via the screenlock program:
https://git.sr.ht/~mil/sxmo-docs/tree/ma...lockstrong

Release notes for 0.1.8 from ML and changelog are at:
https://lists.sr.ht/~mil/sxmo-announce/%...ail.com%3E
https://git.sr.ht/~mil/sxmo-docs/tree/ma...ANGELOG.md

Some long-standing issues have been resolved like the keyboard font size as well. And also the issue that was mentioned earlier on this thread about the statusbar not updating when plugged in is fixed.
Oh my, came in from Mobian and had fairly low expectations.

I am blown away at how snappy, and thoughtful everything is. Using the volume rocker + power button for complex commands becomes very intuitive, very quickly.

My only gripe with it is how without using crust, it gets very hot and using crust sometimes doesn't pick calls for me. A huge thank you for your work!
Came yesterday also in from Mobian and maaaan is so smoooth!
The pinephone is cool and is not getting hot while watching a video.

I have a noob queston. Is possible to download Telegram app?
Thanks for this smoothness and all the effort!
(07-29-2020, 03:08 AM)m.alizade7 Wrote: Came yesterday also in from Mobian and maaaan is so smoooth!

apk add telegram-desktop does the trick

I had the same experience! It's the best option out there at the moment in my humble opinion. I'm posting this from pinephone with sxmo. Thanks for all the hard work!

I hope to get puremas+osm to run next.
(07-30-2020, 12:36 AM)IVp Wrote:
(07-29-2020, 03:08 AM)m.alizade7 Wrote: Came yesterday also in from Mobian and maaaan is so smoooth!

apk add telegram-desktop does the trick

I had the same experience! It's the best option out there at the moment in my humble opinion. I'm posting this from pinephone with sxmo. Thanks for all the hard work!

I hope to get puremas+osm to run next.

Thanks! But how can i open/start Telegram, because the app is not in the list (System menu/Apps/..) Do i need to add it in the config file?
I start it from the terminal with
telegram-desktop
you could put it in xinit to start automatically or put it in the menu by editing the corresponding file. That may involve recompiling somehing... havent figured that out completely. I gather you can do that on the phone for such small changes. I personally would like to find a workflow where I can change the code, build an image and dd it to the phone but that seems more tricky.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PostmarketOS sxmo pinephone keyboard keymaps? afwtioane 2 2,054 09-11-2022, 04:37 AM
Last Post: manubert
  sxmo pim nextcloud Uturn 8 6,062 02-22-2022, 03:23 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Battery life on sxmo xark 1 2,088 02-12-2022, 10:07 AM
  Official Channels for Sxmo Support anjanmomi 2 3,070 02-12-2022, 09:50 AM
  sxmo & php --- 2 1,780 01-31-2022, 01:45 PM
Last Post: ---
  sxmo improvements unrealb2 7 5,677 11-17-2021, 06:43 AM
Last Post: fdlamotte
  SXMO on Debian IVp 0 2,176 08-21-2021, 02:33 PM
Last Post: IVp
  Megi's multiboot sxmo image aithal 1 2,185 06-14-2021, 08:07 AM
Last Post: fdlamotte
  SXMO svkbd with joypad layout [for basic dosbox play] streak 0 1,483 05-27-2021, 08:47 AM
Last Post: streak
  Sxmo on Arch IVp 4 6,412 05-19-2021, 03:18 AM
Last Post: dukla2000