Announcing the Mobian project
(07-24-2020, 05:21 AM)devrtz Wrote: Phosh accepts the -U flag which can be used to start the session unlocked. I'm not sure however if this also prevents it from going to the lockscreen.

PS: I only tried this while running a nested phosh/phoc inside my WM/DE.

Have tried to play with this and have failed miserably, mainly as my coding/scripting skills are negligible!

Not sure whether phosh.service is from /etc/systemd/system/graphical.target.wants/ or /usr/lib/systemd/system/ but both of them
Code:
ExecStart=/usr/bin/phosh
and adding -U made no difference. Browsing about I suspect my -U was being handled(/ignored) by ExecStart so I started playing with /usr/bin/phosh instead. My limited skills reading this script says it does not process any (incoming) parameters at all?
Code:
$ cat /usr/bin/phosh
#!/bin/sh

COMPOSITOR="/usr/bin/phoc"
PHOC_INI="/usr/share/phosh/phoc.ini"

gnome_session_args()
{
    ARGS="--disable-acceleration-check --session=phosh"

# Use builtin session handling until we can rely
    # on a newer gnome-session everywhere
    if gnome-session --help | grep -qs -e--builtin; then
        ARGS="--builtin ${ARGS}"
    fi

echo "${ARGS}"
}

if [ -x /usr/bin/phoc ]; then
  COMPOSITOR=/usr/bin/phoc
fi

if [ -f /etc/phosh/phoc.ini ]; then
  PHOC_INI=/etc/phosh/phoc.ini
elif  [ -f /etc/phosh/rootston.ini ]; then
  # honor old configs
  PHOC_INI=/etc/phosh/rootston.ini
fi

# Run gnome-session through a login shell so it picks
# variables from /etc/profile.d (XDG_*)
[ -n "$WLR_BACKENDS" ] || WLR_BACKENDS=drm,libinput
export WLR_BACKENDS
exec "${COMPOSITOR}" -C "${PHOC_INI}" -E "bash -lc 'gnome-session $(gnome_session_args)'"
 and adding -U to ARGS just caused phosh to fail to start properly in a loop until it was removed.

Still would love to get rid of the stupid PIN screen login if there are any suggestions.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(08-31-2020, 06:01 PM)bcnaz Wrote: During the daytime I do use my Brave Heart phone,     " as a phone "

In the evenings I do my testing of new releases, and systems.

I just got a new PMOS Convergence Pkg phone, 

On a zero wiped sd card I flashed the new September 03 nightly.

It runs great, maybe even faster than the Post Market that is on the eMMC !

Only thing I found not working was the speaker phone.

"Out of the Box" configuration...   as usual adjust the settings
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Is the Brave Heart different, re: September 05 nightly
The sound is weak, and the old problem of not being able to start the sms/text after a reboot.

My new PMOS Convergent pkg phone runs great with the September 04 nightly, excellent sound.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(09-05-2020, 08:11 AM)bcnaz Wrote: Is the Brave Heart different,  re: September 05 nightly
The sound is weak, and the old problem of not being able to start the sms/text after a reboot.

My new PMOS Convergent pkg phone runs great with the September 04 nightly, excellent sound.

Managed to lose my sound as well on my BraveHeart: had to do a reinstall, used 3 Sept nightly. Sound worked fine. Did upgrade sometime on 4 Sept and sound has vanished. Need to check if old "downgrade" trick still works.

PS - just did a quick check and after dist-upgrade today (upgraded mobian-tweaks, removed pinephone-devtools - I see there has been some fiddling with the USB gadget) the sound is working as per old days. All the fun of being on the bleeding edge!
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
I just flashed the Sept. 08 nightly to the sd card for my new PMOS Convergent Pkg phone.

The call out ring-tone for the handset has disappeared  ?

My Brave Heart phone is running Sept 06 nightly it still has the ring-tone.

Update: sept 14
 with the sept 14 nightly +  changed settings :
'sound configuration' from default to 'phone call'
   and ring-tone is there.

Smile
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
While typing an sms text the screen will go black and then return as log-in screen.

This is really very random and the OS is in development so understandable.

but I thought I would mention this, as it has happened several times,  and across the separate

releases.

Sometimes days without  a problem.
(09-10-2020, 06:54 PM)bcnaz Wrote: While typing an sms text the screen will go black and then return as log-in screen.

This is really very random and the OS is in development so understandable.

but I thought I would mention this, as it has happened several times,  and across the separate

releases.

Sometimes days without  a problem.

In my experience I believe this is phosh crashing: after you go through the log-in screen again you find no applications (apart from any you have added to your startup) I presume? (And yes it happens to me occasionally - often preceded by a lockup of all screen response for 5 seconds or so.)
***EDIT: I had to go back to a cheap Android phone.

My original first-edition PinePhone was just too unstable, poor audio quality, etc. for me to use it as a daily driver. At this point, I'm not sure what I can use if for except as a learning experience.

Hopefully the next edition(s) will be good enough for general use.

---

A huge thumbs-up and thank you to the devs. I bought my PP when it first became available, then put it away as no OS was really ready. Well, my other phone died, and I looked on the forums and saw a post about MOBIAN and viola!  I'm using my PP for a daily driver.

There's only two things this needs for me to be 100%
  • One is for the contacts manager/phone book to talk to messaging/dialer (it doesn't show the contact name in messenger, and you can't port a message/number over to contacts to create a new one).
  • Get the volume louder (I tried the "alsamixer" tweak, but it didn't seem to make a difference - maybe need to reboot or update). https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=tweaks
Other than that, I can live with all the quirks, because this phone fulfills it's primary function, and way way more.
When they ask you "Why would you bother to try and increase your privacy, if they really want to know they'll find out anyway", ask them:

"Why do you think it's a good idea to make it easier for them?"
New September 15 nightly works great,  good audio, just needed to change sound output in settings configuration from 'default' to 'phone call' in sound settings for ring-tone to sound.
 Not consistent ?
worked first try, but not second try....
changed to 'default' then back to 'phone call' worked again, seems to need to toggle back and forth then works.
  I do really like the ring-tone sound, but need to toggle inbetween outbound calls ..?
Calling out is dependable...  but the ring-tone for outgoing calls, not so much.

-------------------

September 16 nightly,

Same problem with ring-tone on outgoing calls,  it works on first try after changing the sound configuration from default to phone call, but on second call it again does not have ring-tone.
Go back into settings and toggle from phone to default then back to phone and again it works.

I appreciate the great work from the Mobian Team, just pointing this out, not complaining.

--------------------------------------

September :  17

with update(s)  ring-tone works fine,

Mobian  appears to me,   to be a  Very Usable operating system.
Does anybody have the same issue with phone book/calls/chat integration?

Right now, I have no easy way to create a contact from a recent chat/phone call (have to do everything manually). Contacts sometimes show up in chat correctly (name instead of a #), and only show number (not name) in recent calls. Ideally this would work the same as it does on Android phones.

I just wanted to check before creating an open issue on GitLabs.
When they ask you "Why would you bother to try and increase your privacy, if they really want to know they'll find out anyway", ask them:

"Why do you think it's a good idea to make it easier for them?"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,517 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 70 03-18-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,719 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,690 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 581 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,543 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  opensnitch outbound firewall now works on mobian vusra 2 1,799 07-09-2023, 01:37 AM
  Using Nativefier on PP64 with Mobian paulcarton 0 577 07-05-2023, 03:57 AM
Last Post: paulcarton
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,863 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 219 160,454 03-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: shulamy