Verizon (US) in-coming texts
Hi all, I'm using Mobian and am using the same mmcli and modem-manager-gui workaround to send and receive SMS since Chatty does not show incoming messages.

I noticed that when my Pinephone is off, SMS messages sent to me will never appear once the phone is powered back on. Does anyone have an idea of how to manage that?

*Edit: I noticed that if modem-manager-gui is on and the phone is in low power mode, modem-manager-gui will show the incoming phone number that texted me, but the text message reads 'modem manager closed'. If incoming texts and voicemail can be figured out when the phone is off/in low power mode, it'll be a daily driver for me.
Hi everyone,

I was trolling around on matrix and found some promising news! Someone there linked to an issue they opened for purple-mm-sms on Purism's site.

Basically, CDMA texts are being dealt with differently than GSM and aren't being making their way through to Chatty not because of Chatty itself but the purple library. OP (Salem) patched it locally and had received texts (!) but ended up with a segfault because the timestamp isn't being pulled in.

Certainly isn't a fix right now, but steps in the right direction!
I had seen this CDMA issue on Purism as well. Now that Mobian has a window rescaling feature I've switched to running modem-manager-gui full-time. It works consistently, although the UI is more like an email client than a chat client. Hopefully the CDMA handling is resolved soon. A new frontend or wrapper for MM-gui wouldn't be bad either.
Hi again friends,

I just got through with Verizon's tech support with this great tier 2 tech person who may be my new favorite vzw employee. Basically, there was an issue with how texts were being handled over their network and being passed to Chatty relating to CDMA. I was able to get them to flag it as CDMA-less in my account and texts have started to come through to Chatty!

Their csr filled out a form that is intended to get the PinePhone added to the Verizon database as a CDMA-less phone so, in the future, if that goes through, we should be able to swap sims into the PinePhone and have everything work normally. If anyone wants to give it a go now, and over the next few days, that would be great, but it looks like there's some movement!
(07-18-2020, 03:58 PM)laserbeamh Wrote: Hi again friends,

I just got through with Verizon's tech support with this great tier 2 tech person who may be my new favorite vzw employee. Basically, there was an issue with how texts were being handled over their network and being passed to Chatty relating to CDMA. I was able to get them to flag it as CDMA-less in my account and texts have started to come through to Chatty!

Their csr filled out a form that is intended to get the PinePhone added to the Verizon database as a CDMA-less phone so, in the future, if that goes through, we should be able to swap sims into the PinePhone and have everything work normally. If any upone wants to give it a go now, and over the next few days, that would be great, but it looks like there's some movement!

Very cool, thanks for the info laserbeamh!
(07-18-2020, 03:58 PM)laserbeamh Wrote: I just got through with Verizon's tech support with this great tier 2 tech person who may be my new favorite vzw employee. Basically, there was an issue with how texts were being handled over their network and being passed to Chatty relating to CDMA. I was able to get them to flag it as CDMA-less in my account and texts have started to come through to Chatty!

Can you provide any info or context to help guide the conversation with a tier 2 tech to this conclusion? Considering calling myself but would appreciate being able to get them right to the point quickly and resolving this.
Sorry this took so long, I didn't get the emails for your posts!

I based my convo off of this Lightphone FAQ.

I told them that I wanted to get switched to CDMA-less status. They kept trying to assure me that my phone (Samsung S10) would work when they shut off the CDMA network. I basically had to brow beat the tier 1 tech into letting me through. It might help to have the SIM in the pinephone when you contact them to try to speed things up.

Once I got through to the tier 2 tech, they also tried to reassure me that my S10 would work, but seemed to understand what I was trying to do when I told them I was trying to develop for a new phone (slight lie, I know).

Other things of note are it may be possible to get the pinephone added to Verizon's database (there's some form the tech has to fill out). My tech also said they might have to convince the system that the pinephone was a different CDMA-less device, so that could be the ticket? They seemed unsure if the changes they made would persist, but so far they have.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions/there's anything I can do to help, or if you get it to work! Big Grin
(07-24-2020, 11:34 AM)laserbeamh Wrote: Once I got through to the tier 2 tech, they also tried to reassure me that my S10 would work, but seemed to understand what I was trying to do when I told them I was trying to develop for a new phone (slight lie, I know).
Thanks for the tips.

Once your account was switched to CDMA-less, did your S10 continue to work?
My S10 works correctly and I've switched back and forth between my S10 and PinePhone several times since it got switched and haven't had any issues!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  is there an progam to forward calls and texts to my desktop dallytaur 2 741 11-01-2023, 04:55 AM
Last Post: Samurai_Crow