Faulty Microphone - BH
Hello,

Apparently I have a PinePhone with a faulty microphone (or some component on which the microphone depends on) - it never worked.

A few days ago, I have found out that the audio routing for the phone calls is finally working. I downloaded and imaged the SD card with the latest build of Ubuntu Touch (at that time #307) and made a call to my Mrs. I could hear her in the PinePhone's earpiece but she couldn't hear me. Then I tried with a pair of headphones with the microphone on the wire. This worked - I could hear her and she could hear me.

I have re-imaged the micro-SD card with other distros: Debian with Phosh, Manjaro, and a couple of other Ubuntu Touch builds, including #318.

I have also turned on and off the kill-switch for the microphone (3) - it made no difference.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any feedback?

Thank you,
Have you checked the sound input setting in phosh? You can select the internal or headset mic.
Thanks for your feedback @nas . I did change to both option (Default and Phone) in the Sound settings, with no success.
I think i also have a mic issue. I tested a call with ubports latest build and the other side could not hear me. I am yet to test with headphones. I tried a few sound recording apps but no success in running them.

Is there another way to test sound recording? Maybe some command line program.

i dont remember a mic test in factory test image. That would be nice to have.

For me also the vibration motot does not work.

This is a BH device.
(06-13-2020, 02:59 AM)Ppuser77 Wrote: I think i also have a mic issue. I tested a call with ubports latest build and the other side could not hear me. I am yet to test with headphones. I tried a few sound recording apps but no success in running them.

This is a BH device.

Booth mic and vibrate locates at the bottom small board.
(06-16-2020, 06:35 PM)tllim Wrote:
(06-13-2020, 02:59 AM)Ppuser77 Wrote: I think i also have a mic issue. I tested a call with ubports latest build and the other side could not hear me. I am yet to test with headphones. I tried a few sound recording apps but no success in running them.

This is a BH device.

I will check that area when i will try to do the HW hack for power drain in switched off state.

I did some more testing with the microphone on mobian with posh.

Headphones mic (Phone call profile) produces some sound: when placing a call from pinephone it is very noisy and voice so low and distorted that is unintelligible. Recording with arecord is pretty much similar. What could be identified more clearly in a test recording is when I whistelt :-)

Internal mic gives only some kind of white noise like an untuned radio. Nothing resembles the expected "output".

Next test could be bluetooth, some day, maybe the only way to use my device as a phone :-(

This is a BH device.

Is that the small board that is available for purchase as spare part? That might be an option to get some audio in working.

A friend fixed the vibration motor for me (yay!), but the mic is dead-dead. In Posh gui it never shows any "level" lines no mattter what noise i make.
If i connect a headset to the jack than some sound can be recorded but low quality, instalble and i have to speak very very close to the mic. In the GUI the jack mic shows always at least one line - which is strange.

Connecting bluetooth headset results in a very strong buzz noise in the BT speakers any time i try to use "play" or "record" via BT. Basically BT is also not an option at the moment.
I am wondering if some "wires" are mixed up on my board or could be a SW/mixer thing.
(11-17-2020, 03:57 AM)Ppuser77 Wrote:

This is a BH device.

Is that the small board that is available for purchase as spare part? That might be an option to get some audio in working.

A friend fixed the vibration motor for me (yay!), but the mic is dead-dead. In Posh gui it never shows any "level" lines no mattter what noise i make.
If i connect a headset to the jack than some sound can be recorded but low quality, instalble and i have to speak very very close to the mic. In the GUI the jack mic shows always at least one line - which is strange.

Connecting bluetooth headset results in a very strong buzz noise in the BT speakers any time i try to use "play" or "record" via BT. Basically BT is also not an option at the moment.
I am wondering if some "wires" are mixed up on my board or could be a SW/mixer thing.

Mic and vibrator are on the same small board.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Microphone on Hardware Model 1.2 is Unusably Noisy In Some Circomstances ASmartSuitedSimpleton 4 3,622 03-23-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: Ferriah
  Need a new microphone? kujo_marble 0 706 08-16-2022, 08:26 PM
Last Post: kujo_marble
  Microphone replacement SocialNetworkingWasAMistake 1 1,448 08-05-2022, 03:16 PM
Last Post: calinb
  Dead Microphone? Pulsar 4 3,638 02-16-2022, 12:58 PM
Last Post: mysociallife
Sad PnePhone Braveheart Edition - Microphone NOT Working valentin 15 8,049 08-09-2021, 07:43 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Broken Speakers and Microphone virnuik 0 1,651 09-12-2020, 11:34 AM
Last Post: virnuik
  Feature request - A slightly better speaker/microphone halcek 4 5,646 07-13-2020, 09:22 PM
Last Post: bcnaz