Ubuntu Touch with OTA updates
(05-25-2020, 06:56 AM)Mangled Wrote: Are you able to flash to emmc with the jump drive?

Yes, that's what I did with #7. And then kept updating.

But now I managed to mess up my UT installation. Tried various things from the Open Store and can certainly recommend Launcher Modular, lots of nice widgets.

Then I tried to run a game ("Lord of the Knights") and the phone got stuck. Trying to reboot now only gives me the Pine logo and then a row of @^@^@^@^

It goes to show we definitely need a timeshift/recovery/backup feature. It had crossed my mind before that I might get lost if I cannot boot into UT.

Will have to try something like Mobian from a card to clear the cache, maybe.

UPDATE: Booting into Mobian and then back into UT did the trick. This reminds me to report an odd opservation: Even if you do a cold boot, the content of the previous screen display briefly shows up. So it seems some code was stuck somewhere in the phone hardware and is now cleared.

All back to normal, but need to think about backups.
(05-25-2020, 07:29 AM)Zweitaktmotor Wrote:
(05-25-2020, 06:56 AM)Mangled Wrote: Are you able to flash to emmc with the jump drive?

But now I managed to mess up my UT installation. Tried various things from the Open Store and can certainly recommend Launcher Modular, lots of nice widgets.

Then I tried to run a game ("Lord of the Knights") and the phone got stuck. Trying to reboot now only gives me the Pine logo and then a row of @^@^@^@^

It goes to show we definitely need a timeshift/recovery/backup feature. It had crossed my mind before that I might get lost if I cannot boot into UT.

Will have to try something like Mobian from a card to clear the cache, maybe.

UPDATE: Booting into Mobian and then back into UT did the trick. This reminds me to report an odd opservation: Even if you do a cold boot, the content of the previous screen display briefly shows up. So it seems some code was stuck somewhere in the phone hardware and is now cleared.

All back to normal, but need to think about backups.

Thanks, I will give #7 a try.
(05-25-2020, 07:46 AM)Mangled Wrote:
(05-25-2020, 07:29 AM)Zweitaktmotor Wrote:

Thanks, I will give #7 a try.

Don't forget to switch to the first Dev channel after installing #7
Have you removed the µSD card from the phone once you have flashed EMMC ?
(05-25-2020, 10:16 AM)drpi Wrote: Have you removed the µSD card from the phone once you have flashed EMMC ?
I kept a newly formatted card in, but the file manager cannot find it. I guess it needs mounting via terminal.

I am waiting for the Pineloader to become availabe before setting up several partitions for other OSs and one for data such as pictures, music collections etc.
(05-25-2020, 10:16 AM)drpi Wrote: Have you removed the µSD card from the phone once you have flashed EMMC ?

Yes my microsd has jump drive installed on it. It wouldn't boot unless you removed it first.
@Luke Has GPS been removed from the jenkins builds? Haven't seen it in a few builds.
(06-08-2020, 07:07 PM)somken Wrote: @Luke Has GPS been removed from the jenkins builds? Haven't seen it in a few builds.

I believe so
[edit] seems to be back in today's build
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

I'm unable to update to the developer release to get CRUST enabled. I switched the phone to the Developer channel in the Updates setting under System Settings. It downloaded the update (v47). I click the grey "Install..." box and then it says "Update System. The device needs to restart to install the system update." I click the blue box "Restart & Install", but nothing happens. Is there a command I can do to make it update the same way?

Edit: It updated now. I don't know why.
(06-12-2020, 12:46 PM)PineFuture Wrote: I'm unable to update to the developer release to get CRUST enabled. I switched the phone to the Developer channel in the Updates setting under System Settings. It downloaded the update (v47). I click the grey "Install..." box and then it says "Update System. The device needs to restart to install the system update." I click the blue box "Restart & Install", but nothing happens. Is there a command I can do to make it update the same way?

Edit: It updated now. I don't know why.
I also have problems. Sometimes same than what you described. More often, the channel switch back to "Stable" and the phone says it want to download "Version 2". When I switch to "Development" channel, new version is sometimes detected. When it is, download happens (I monitor with my ADSL box) but the UI is not updated, and I can't install. Tried to reboot many times without success. The only way to get the new version is to download it and flash the µSDCard.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ubuntu Touch on Pine64 Rondarius 11 3,317 10-11-2023, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Rondarius
  Ubuntu Touch vs Standard Pinephone OS MarsColonist 8 5,690 06-26-2023, 07:50 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  Reinstall Ubuntu Touch on PinePhone with 10 drives? Peter Gamma 4 2,819 05-24-2022, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  UB Touch build with debos layton-dev 0 2,232 04-23-2021, 08:12 AM
Last Post: layton-dev
  Whats the latest with UB touch? Cree 9 11,235 03-11-2021, 10:59 AM
Last Post: andybleaden@gmail.com
  UT move to Ubuntu 20.04 Concrete_panda 2 5,204 11-24-2020, 12:43 PM
Last Post: DrewTechs
  Horrible energy consume on Pinephone/UB-Touch firefox-58 9 11,543 10-15-2020, 12:28 PM
Last Post: plainenough
Star Updates stuck on stable channel. Cree 6 7,724 10-04-2020, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Giiba
  Pinephone 3G Bluetooth Working Pretty Well With Latest Mobian Updates rmcg 0 2,478 09-27-2020, 10:22 PM
Last Post: rmcg
  How to enable SSH on UBPorts Ubuntu Touch? eaglecup 12 19,925 09-15-2020, 03:42 PM
Last Post: voidmain