Touchscreen broken on arrival [*now with video*]
[Edit: here is a video showing the issue: https://youtu.be/9qhO412xwaE ]

So my PinePhone arrived today - and I have to say from afar the phone looks just like any other modern smartphone (which is great) - replaceable battery is a godsend and the hardware switches on the back much appreciated. All in all this is a very well made device.

Mine just has one issue, and I wanted to discover if others have the same issue?

** Now firstly - I know when you order a PinePhone it says - 'if you are going to complain about the odd dead pixel then please just don't order the phone' - I nearly didn't write this for that reason - but I believe my issue doesn't fit that criteria, a dead pixel is cosmetic - this significantly handicaps usage, so here goes **

Can I buy a new touchscreen to install myself? Mine came damaged, in the centre, about 60% of the way down the screen - I have no issue with it looking bad - I don't care - I really don't. The issue is it makes it impossible to press the screen at that location, the affected area is about 0.7cm by 0.7cm. It is most noticable when I try to type text on the inbuild keyboard in Ubuntu Touch for example - when I click the 't', an 'r' appears. I know the issue is the touchscreen as if I turn the phone upside down or rotate it, then the keyboard works fine.

So this isn't meant to be a moan - just simply that my PinePhone came disabled, and I'd like to know how easy it will be in the future to fix it?

In the meantime I turn the phone upside down when I need to press that part of the screen - which obviously will only work where implemented in software.

Does anyone else has an issue whereby they literally can't touch a reasonable large part of the touch screen - right in the middle?
I have that problem with my old smartphone. Some small stripes are inaccessible, which makes it almost impossible for me to type the letter d. That's why I was so eagerly awaiting my PinePhone.
I've not seen that one mentioned before. Replacement screens are listed in the shop, but currently out of stock, so you should eventually be able to get one. See this post for more on immediate access to spares. As it arrived faulty I'd hope you'd be given a replacement though - that seems to be what's happening with failing LCDs.
(04-21-2020, 11:45 AM)wibble Wrote: I've not seen that one mentioned before. Replacement screens are listed in the shop, but currently out of stock, so you should eventually be able to get one. See this post for more on immediate access to spares.  As it arrived faulty I'd hope you'd be given a replacement though - that seems to be what's happening with failing LCDs.

Should I create a support ticket then?

Right now I'm on the Chess app on the Debian image and it's definitely playable - well it would be if I could press all the squares - it seems like more screen real estate that I thought isn't working.

I'm going to create the ticket and hope I don't get yelled at.
I've created a video to demonstrate the issue:

https://youtu.be/9qhO412xwaE

I did create a support ticket but since asking me to create a video the support team haven't gotten back to me in 3 days. So I thought I'd seek advice on here as well.
(04-28-2020, 05:35 AM)ozzeruk Wrote: I've created a video to demonstrate the issue:

I did create a support ticket but since asking me to create a video the support team haven't gotten back to me in 3 days. So I thought I'd seek advice on here as well.

Not sure why you mentioned anyone should yell at you. They are selling many phones, it is normal some of them can be damaged. Just email them, and return it. You can get a new one, but they will charge you shipping.

Also, it is good you reported, so they can add this issue in the QC.
(04-28-2020, 10:10 PM)daniel Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 05:35 AM)ozzeruk Wrote: I've created a video to demonstrate the issue:

Not sure why you mentioned anyone should yell at you. They are selling many phones, it is normal some of them can be damaged. Just email them, and return it. You can get a new one, but they will charge you shipping.

Also, it is good you reported, so they can add this issue in the QC.

Well - they specifically ask you not to buy it if 'small issues' like a few pixels not working would bother you.

I'm not going to return it, the first one took 3 months to arrive.
Well, I actually encountered a similar issue.
I also got the BraveHeart Edition, and the touchscreen's area around keys 'E', 'S' and 'Z' won't work unless the phone is in charge, whatever the operating system I use (I tried Ubuntu Touch and PostMarketOS).
For instance, when I try to hit the 'E' key while the charging cable is off, it always results in either a 'W' or a 'R'.

Did your support ticket eventually lead to a solution ?
To update and complete this post.

On Thursday I received a new LCD touchscreen sent free of charge by Pine64.

I installed it myself and reconstructed the phone. The issue has now entirely disappeared!

I'm very pleased - if anyone else has a similar problem, then it is most likely the touchscreen.
(06-20-2020, 06:09 AM)ozzeruk Wrote: To update and complete this post.

On Thursday I received a new LCD touchscreen sent free of charge by Pine64.

I installed it myself and reconstructed the phone. The issue has now entirely disappeared!

I'm very pleased - if anyone else has a similar problem, then it is most likely the touchscreen.
I have similar problem. With me it's the bottom screen that doesn't work, at all. I shall make a ticket and a video as well then.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinephone - broken power button rorus 10 8,814 05-18-2023, 09:11 AM
Last Post: kbm
Photo Can no longer take pictures, /dev/video* not recognized as video devices 64_Tesseract 0 548 01-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: 64_Tesseract
  720p video in Firefox notramo 4 1,614 11-28-2022, 06:09 AM
Last Post: dante404
  Keyboard support broken in Mobian? MacarioMorenoUK 2 1,659 06-08-2022, 02:34 AM
Last Post: MacarioMorenoUK
Sad Have I got a broken camera module? AKD251 2 2,160 11-07-2021, 11:12 AM
Last Post: beta-user
  [Help] SIM slot contact broken WinstonSmith 3 3,149 07-14-2021, 06:13 AM
Last Post: mouffa
Video Questions about filming video with the Pinephone MirceaKitsune 10 9,460 06-02-2021, 01:47 PM
Last Post: vortex
  PinePhone won't boot, U-Boot seems to be broken Marcade 8 7,543 04-20-2021, 05:28 PM
Last Post: dsimic
  broken connector-pin for the accu alwi 2 2,703 02-23-2021, 06:28 AM
Last Post: scholbert
  Broken Speakers and Microphone virnuik 0 1,651 09-12-2020, 11:34 AM
Last Post: virnuik