Jitsi Meet on the PBP
Hi all.

In this new time of video conferencing I have tried Jitsi Meet.

Jitsi is an open source decentralised video conferencing software for the browser or apps. Also it is free and several good people offer their Jitsi Server to the public. However the official one also works ok.

On the PBP you previously needed a Chromium  browser oner one of it's siblings to use Jitsi, but just now I noticed that Firefox now recognises the camera as well and it works.

In Firefox when accepting the permissions I have selected the USB Camera from the list, not the pre-selected one.

If you  have chosen a camera from the list that does not work, close the meeting and reopen it, you will be asked for permissions again and then you can choose the USB Camera. If you have saved the permissions you need to delete the permission for the camera in the preferences first.

The CPU load is quite high for both browsers though, but it works. Sometimes there are hick-ups, but overall it works.

How is your experience ?
Hello, I'll give jitsi a try in firefox and report back. A conferencing tool that functions well would add lot of value to the pbp. I received mine in late 2019 ansi, with debian. I have since loaded Manjaro kde and find it easier for me. I am not however able to test the camera. I can't seem to get any images from the manjaro app. Did you test the video before using Jitsi?
I did a quick test in FF and I had to choose the USB Cam.
You can test the cam by doing a Jitsi session just with yourself.
I also tried in Chromium and had an audio issue.
Not sure if it was a config issue.
I tested Jitsi with Chromium with 6 people (total, including myself).
Camera quality looks sort of pixelated.
I used a external microphone, as I read posts that the internal microphone has a whine.
And the Pinebook Pro gets really warm/hot.
I would very much like to be able to use jitsi too.
Still I can't get the webcam to work, though..

Jitsi (on firefox) doesn't let me choose USB cam .. I can only choose between 'rockchip-rga', 'rockchip,rk3399-vpu-enc' and 'rockchip,rk3399-vpu-dec' .....
I just tested with FF on Manjaro Linux and USB Camera was the 4th option.
Which Linux distribution are you using?
if you cant select the webcam, then it is likely not detected due to privacy disable.

jitsi meet encodes and decodes video using vp8 by default. as we do not yet have vaapi support working, your best option is to lower the resolution. the pbp will always use cpu encoding and decoding until vaapi support is available, hence the heat and battery impact.

i would change governor to performance and use the power adapter while using jitsi meet and any other cpu intensive task.

if you (or others reading this) are able to help with vaapi support on the pbp, then see my hwaccel thread for ph5's work on libva and libva-v4l2-request and help adapt them to the newer v4l2 api in newer kernels.
(05-31-2020, 11:34 AM)xmixahlx Wrote: if you cant select the webcam, then it is likely not detected due to privacy disable.

Yeah about that... I've had to raise a support ticket - the webcam usb is failing to be detected with some weird error code on mine (latest batch). I won't be surprised if there are multiple people with the same issue
I can use Jitsi in Chromium and Vivaldi and share sound from a tab in the browser. And I can share my screen, not the desktop, but an app.

I am not currently able to use Jitsi in Firefox, because after loading the meeting, in the screen where one puts one's desired name, the screen goes grey.

Firefox is version 88. Is anybody running it on Firefox currently?
(04-22-2021, 05:57 PM)lxn Wrote: I can use Jitsi in Chromium and Vivaldi and share sound from a tab in the browser. And I can share my screen, not the desktop, but an app.

I am not currently able to use Jitsi in Firefox, because after loading the meeting, in the screen where one puts one's desired name, the screen goes grey.

Firefox is version 88. Is anybody running it on Firefox currently?

I just tried to start a meeting with Firefox and it seems to work on Manjaro with Firefox 88.

I could give the meeting a name, allow the microphone to be used for Firefox and add my user name and then ended up in the room.
I have tested briefly with an iPhone to connect and that worked, video was shown from the iPhone, not from the PBP, but I did not investigate. Could be the kill switch, I forgot.

Seems to work.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Google Meet on the Pinebook Pro carlosqueso 2 3,799 10-06-2020, 10:59 AM
Last Post: carlosqueso